AZ Draw strategy

BuckshotBenny

I have a general question about the draw. I'm sitting on 6 points for elk and deer. I'm willing to wait for unit 9 archery and 12a west late deer. Is it a bad strategy to just put those hunts as my first choice? If i'm understanding correctly, the first pass goes to max point holders, then 2nd and 3rd choice, and finially 4th and 5th.

So am I automatically knocking myself out by not having max points and putting in for only first choice?

In other words, Can I put in for unit 9 archery elk for all of my hunt choices? same for deer?

Thanks,

Ben

Bonus pass is first. It looks at 1st and 2nd choices at the same time.
The next round is random 1st and 2nd choices.
The only tags that can be drawn after 2nd choice are %100 draw hunts.
If your not max points you and are a non resident you have a small chance at 9 bull and 12aw deer. Don?t bother with 3-5.

For deer, javelina and spring turkey I only want one hunt for each of them. I put the same hunt # as my 1st and 2nd choice for each of those species. I never put anything for picks 3-5. So the answer to your question is yes, that is a good strategy if those are the only hunts you want.

I'm holding out for the same deer hunt as you.

Thank you huntazido!!

That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if by only putting for 1st choice if I was being left totally out of a 2nd pass somewhere in there.

How many points do you have for deer?

I only have 3 points so I have a long wait ahead. I may change my mind due to the fact that I am not getting any younger but that is the plan right now.

Good Luck

I'm in the same boat. I'm itching just to hunt but I have already waited 5 years( I have a hunters Ed point). Same with Elk. Fortunately I get to hunt 3 times a year for AZ OTC bow plus I get drawn about every other year for Utah rifle Deer. I did WY antelope this year on a private ranch so right now i'm sticking with the plan.

Thats how I do it ,put in 2-3 others States and get some leftover Coues tags or go Archery here till You draw the Good tag. 3 Years ago I drew early rifle Bull in unit 10 ,20 ponits long wait; Year ago spring I hunted Goulds turkey only 11 points. Got lucky Max was 18 or so. This year I got lucky with 11 points and drew that late Kaibab tag. Hey somebody has to get them. I got lucky back in 96 and drew early rifle bull in unit 1 with only 3 points. While I was waiting I had 3 N. Mex. Bull tags and about 8 Deer tags over there. Its starting to get pricey to go out of State tho. I hunted Muleys in Wyoming a month ago and with alotta points and it adds up. I have 10 to burn for Elk in Wyo. then i'M done there. Did Antelope there 4 years ago. If You are young and $ is no problem build them points. If not take it easy, I know to many Guys been divorced cause of to much hunting, Including Me ,and it aint fun. Probably not worth if You have a good wife that is still hot. Its different when You get back in the field looking again. They all have bagage just like US.....LOL.......BULL!!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom