AZ Hunter's Ed Class-Good Stuff

velvetmonster

My son and I recently took the on-line Hunter Education Class and drove to Phoenix to take the field day class. Although I wasn't expecting much I have to say that this class was done very well. If any of you have not done this to earn your extra point, I highly recommend it. Our class was put on by Thomas Slaughter. He is a VERY GOOD instructor, particularly for the youth in the class. So get off the couch and take the class. That extra point is huge!

Mike

Why was the class a joke?? I took the class in 1985 and I learned alot at the age of 10. I went through the class a few years ago with my son and I learned a few more things. My son learned alot throughout the class. I think the class is very important to all hunters. The instructors in our class were vey knowledgable and took the time with the kids.

I have taken hunter's safety three times in Utah...the last time was about 3 years ago. Arizona's program is far superior to Utah's. I didn't see it as a joke. Remember, it's designed for youngsters and new hunters. If you go into it thinking you already know everything then you will gain nothing. Arizona's focus on teaching conservation and ethics is a very good thing. Also, the value of a class depends greatly on the quality of instructors. These particular instructors were very good. So good in fact that I took the time to email the instructor and his supervisor.

Courses are shown on azgfd.com and there are a ton of basic courses but im waiting to see a combo class here in phoenix for my 9 year old son.

We are doing an online field day class here in Kingman on July 17. Class is limited to the first 10 that sign up.

Don Martin
Master Instuctor
AZ Hunter Education
Region III

I forgot to add that we will be doing a two-weekend combo class that starts July 29 at 6 p.m. here in Kingman at the Mohave Sportsman Club 7 Mile Hill Range. Class dates are July 29( 6-9 p.m.), 30th (8-5), 31st (8-5) August 6th (8-5) and 7th (6:30-3:30). There are RV hook ups out at the range where we do the class for those from out of town that want to bring up a trailer and leave it for the two weeks.

Sign ups start on July 1, and is limited to the first 35 who sign up by calling Page McDonald at 928-530-8286.

Don Martin

My daughter and I will be there for the late season bull tag in 7E. I don't suppose they offer the field day during that time of year???

Hunter's Ed Class

Maybe this sentence in the post by velvetmonster says it all in regards to the "It's a joke" comment made in the appleman post: "If you go into it thinking you already know everything then you will gain nothing." That sort of says it all!

RE: Hunter's Ed Class

I took it back in 05 for an Antelope hunt in Wyoming (required) and I was really sorry I hadn't taken it sooner. Great info. Of course it was gear more toward the kids but I did learn some interesting factoids. The field day was fun and I actually met some really cool guys. The only thing I thought was stupid was the parents sending their kids by themselves. There were a couple ill-manered brats in the class and the instructors and some of the parents ended up babysitting them. If your kids have to take the course.... go with them!!!!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

I'm surprised they don't require a parent, guardian, or at least a mentor to accompany each kid!

What I meant by"I felt it was a joke" is that it took three days including travel time, cost five hundred dollars with hotel and gas etc only to shoot ten single shots out of a 22 and track some fake blood for twenty yards and take basically the same written test u take on the internet before u go--- it might be a good thing for young hunters or Arizona residents but in my opinion not for someone who has been licensed in many states for decades-only an annoying step to keep max points!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-11 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]
It sounds like rather than the course being a joke that you are really saying that having to take the AZ course/test to obtain the point is the joke. They don't force you to take it, so I guess it is each person's choice whether to do their thing or not. I would imagine a lot of nonresidents that live a long distance from AZ feel like you do, but that is the problem where you have so many in the top PP pool. AZ is trying to separate some of them out by offering that point by doing what you did and it's up to the individaul to decide if its' worth it or not. I know if I was going to drive a long distance like you did that I would have probably scheduled at least a couple extra days for the trip to do some scouting in an area I intended to hunt in the future when I drew the tag.

I'd like to weigh in on a couple of statements I have read here on this thread so far.

As to the "Brat" kids, I guarantee you that in our classes we don't have that! I have a three strike rule and just like baseball, you get three strikes for being unruly, disruptive, talking out of turn, or goofing off and you're GONE!

Remember our teaching staff are all volunteers and as such I require that students who want to take our classes, rather it be the two weekend (35 hour) resident or the one day (12 hour) supplemental (NR)or R,class or the six hour online (R or NR)class stay focused.

As to this is a joke comment.

Hunter education and all it stands for such as safety, rules, regulations, survival situations and laws, and firearm/bow use is no JOKE!

We strive hard to make sure our graduates are lawful, ethical sportsmen and women,no matter how old they are.

We take our teaching very seriously and anyone who takes the class should to.

Like one person said, you don't have to take an Arizona Hunter Ed class, but there are definitely some good incentives to take it.

Those are the rules. We live in a society governed by rules and regulations and this is the way it is in Arizona. By the way, do you know that Arizona has one of the lowest hunter accident rates in America? There might just be a reason for that...

Anyway, I don't want to get into any shouting matches with folks about hunter education, but please understand and respect what the hundreds of dedicated volunteer instructors are trying to accomplish here in our state.

Don Martin
Master Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Region III (Kingman)

5763hunter_education_class_august_2010.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-11 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Since this post has risen from the dead I will jump back in...

To Mr. Martin,

Well Played Sir! Excellent post.

In response to the cost and inconvenience factor...You are correct. There is a cost involved. Just like the $150 bucks you spend to purchase the hunting license that you usually do not use. I spent around $300 in gas, $150 in food, and stayed with family. For my $450 I got a four day vacation with my son, checked out the North rim of the Grand Canyon on the way down, drove through the Kaibab and checked out the area, checked out the Paunsy on the way back, and talked with several residents in my class who were more then willing to give me information on hunting units they were familiar with.....Man what a joke....or wait....I mean... Man, what a great experience to share with my son. Last but not least we earned an extra point that will get us back to Arizona faster. My original post on this subject speaks for itself as to how I feel about the program.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

VM

Have three sons and have been in the course with Don twice. Both times it was fun just being in a class doing something with your sons. As for kids acting up that didn't fly, in both classes kids that didn't want to be there and learn(one in each class)were told come back when they were ready.
We all can learn even thou it seems basic to us. I know I learned something in each class. That bonus point can be the deal breaker for the draw also.
Thanks to those that come to Kingman for the class and good luck on your draws. I hope you get the tag VM.

Don, Good comments. I have a question. Do the online and 1 day field course work for non-residents and what does the field course entail?

First of all let me explain how this all works.

1)On the regular (two weekend, 35 hour class) we have a one day field day as part of that program. It is held on the last day of class. Both resident and NR can take this class with us if they want.

2)With the online class, you only come out to see us AFTER you have completed the online course as set up by the department. Our on line field day course is set up basically like the one we have during our regular class.

3)If you take my one-day (12 hour) class then there is no field day. It is strictly class room for the entire time. This is the class we go into a lot of depth and detail on rules rags and the draw.

Anyone who takes any of these three classes will be certified AFTER they complete the class.

The only restriction is that those that take the one-day class must have completed a Hunter Ed program since 1980 and they have to send in a copy of the graduation certificate to Phx BEFORE they can take this class.

You also have only 90 days to take an online field day AFTER you have completed that course.

So to answer your question, yes, they will all work for non-residents.

Hope this answers your questions. If not I can be reached at [email protected] or by calling 928-303-9481.

Don Martin
Master Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Region III

I have been checking the azgfd.com website and so far there is no combo classes being offered here in the valley. If anybody knows of any in the future i would appreciate the info. My son ask me everyday and seems very excited about it.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom