Backpacking camp stove?

sniper14

Looking to brave out into the wilderness this year, and do some high country hunting. Just wondering what backpacking stove would be the best to get. Looking for one that is easy to use, reliable, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks

There's lots of good stoves out there. It kind of just depends on what you want to cook and how fast you want to do it.

The JetBoil is a bit on the large size but they work well at about any altitude and temperature.

The MSR mini pocket rocket is small, lightweight, and generally works well but wind, altitude, and low temps all can negatively affect its performance.

There's also stoves (I'm thinking Biolite?) that run off small sticks and pine cones so you don't have to pack fuel canisters around. (I believe the Biolite has a usb plug on it as well so you can charge electronics while you cook.

My vote is a JetBoil PCS with a large fuel canister...you'll be set for about a week.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-15 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]I have a Brunton stove that i've used heavily for 10 years, it has never given me an issue. I use it year round a lot, backpacking thru the spring, summer, and hunting and backpacking in the fall, and several times a week ice fishing in the winter and it works excellent. I like to use the small isobutane canisters, they cost more per oz but last me several days of cooking.

****I just looked it up, it is a Brunton Fraptor, but it looks like they don't make it anymore :/

Hard to beat this little stove from China. I've been using one for several years to boil water for Mountain House meals.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Ba...qid=1425758776&sr=8-1&keywords=backpack+stove

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

I use the cheap one from Walmart. It's been working great for a long time and has boiled many pans of water.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I'm with wyobc and the jetboil.
If you just need hot water for freeze dried food it saves you from packing pans and it is lightnin' fast at boiling water! We have a stove that works well but lately we have just taken the jetboil.

Snowpeak stove. Weighs 3 oz. and packs down to the size of about a pack of cigarettes. Then if you get the Snowpeak titanium pot it all peaks into the pot including the fuel. Super light.

Could two hunters hunt the high country for one full week and eat only the freeze dried food they packed in with them that is cooked with boiling water?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-15 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]I was just now checking out the stove that sagebrush posted (post #3 above.0

$6.04 includes free shipping? Really?

The order went through.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Thursday, April 2, 2015 -
Monday, April 20, 2015

Delivery time is kind of strange.....we'll see.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I've made several of these. Tested them at elevation on hunts. They works outstanding. This is one way to make a can stove. I use the HEET brand fuel additive for the cooking fuel. I pour the HEET into 5-hour energy containers. About 2/3rds of one container is amply fuel to heat enough water to cook a MT House.

Another vote for the stove from China mentioned by Sagebrush. I have two and they work great. They are similar to the MSR pocket rocket but a lot cheaper. Get a titanium pot and a fuel canister and you are good to go.

Another vote for jetboil. Although they are a bit bulky, they pack very nicely, boil water in a flash (I have a story on that) and can be used as your cup for coffee, cocoa, tea, or whatever warm drink you want.

I first borrowed a jet boil for a backpacking trip up into the Wind Rivers. My buddy had a MSR Pocket Rocket. One windy evening at the timber line it was time to boil water for dinner. I scooped some water from a stream, turned on the gas and hit the ignition and BOOM, I was set. By the time my water was boiling (2 minutes later) my buddy was still trying to get his stove into an area that blocked the wind. By the time his water was boiling, I had ate my whole Mountain House meal.

I also use my jetboil for cocoa, melting snow for water, cooking Oatmeal/ramen. The things are awesome and I highly recommend them.

Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium has been my go to stove for the last 3 years.

At 1.9 oz.it can't really be beat for a pack stove...It along with a small fuel canister, lighter, folding Spork; all fit in my Titanium pot/mug for my dehydrated meals and instant coffee etc.

MSR Pocket Rocket is great too. Jet Boil is great, but a little bulky for back country in my opinion, but pretty bulletproof.

?-ERock-> ?

Jetboils are great until the temp drops to -20F then they do not work well. When it gets that cold I use the MRS Reactor, I have melted snow at -40F and the Reactor worked perfectly. Summer and fall Jetboil is KING!!

Snowpeak GigaPower Titanium stove.......nothing lighter or smaller out there for the performance you get. Price tag is reasonable as well.

BOHNTR )))---------->

>Snowpeak GigaPower Titanium stove.......nothing lighter or
>smaller out there for the
>performance you get. Price
>tag is reasonable as well.
>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

I agree with Roy on his stove. The jet boil may work, but it's a large and bulky stove to have to pack around. My stove, fuel and titanium bowl combo is beyond small and lightweight. To combat the wind all you have to do is put an aluminum shield around it.

++1 on Snowpeak Gigapower Titanium stove. Add in the titanium pot and you have about as light and fast set up as you'll find anywhere. Very dependable little stove

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom