Backpacking w/Pacemaker

Zim

Very Active Member
While filling out my Colorado sheep application yesterday I was thinking again about the reality of trying to backpack with my pacemaker. The strap pressure is a big problem. I basically shifted my hunt choices to easier terrain the last 7 years. But I really want to backpack again since a fire burned my favorite area in one state, including the TH and 90% of the 3 mile trail in. So I applied for two hunts there, despite not knowing if and how I can backpack 60# again. So I was wondering if someone makes a product for this or how they have overcome this. It's especially frustrating wanting to have a real BH sheep hunt but knowing I cannot realistically backpack to the extreme almost all the NR CO choices require. I ended up picking the unit 34 December archery hunt. Thx for any input.

On top of that was surprised when I got a bit nauseous at the top of Pike's Peak last summer for the first time. I had to lay down. Maybe because of my age (63), or Covid? Never happened before. Not a good omen for my any of these high altitude units I want.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I think i'd stop the western hunts and stick to flat terrian or fly fishing. Had a great buddy die beside my truck my truck when his heart went into massive defeb. Worked on him for 10min until state troopers finally showed up that was exhausting doing CPR that long. He was 43 and went to the gym everyday and that was just on a coyote hunt with small hills. Guess the point I'm trying to make is I know you won't be stupid enough to do the hunt alone but do you really want to put someone through that if that pacemaker goes out in the backcountry.

We've probably all told ourselves that we want to and it would be cool to die doing what we love (hunting). But for you Zim, you have at least 20 more years before that scenario could be cool.

Zim- I can appreciate your desire to keep at it! At 61, I wonder which year I start to change how far and high I go when elk hunting. So far, so good, but the time, she's a coming...

What about a horse pack trip instead?
You could still walk in, but let the mule or horse pack all the gear.
Just a thought.
Actually I always find pack horses for elk extraction prior to all my Western hunts. And I sometimes apply with a party of friends for drop camps. I just think it would be to expensive to do that solo. Almost all my hunting is solo. I can hunt from my tent & vehicle fine. Backpacking my Fanny pack & treestand on my back is fine. But toting 60# with a whole camp on my back is problematic. I really like the flexibility of solo backpacking.

It was just an idea is all. One possible solution.
So, the next thought is: There are one wheel pack carriers that strap to one's hips. No strap across the chest and back.
Problem I see, is that not all places will allow you to take a wheeled carrier. But, may work where you hunt?

It was just an idea is all. One possible solution.
So, the next thought is: There are one wheel pack carriers that strap to one's hips. No strap across the chest and back.
Problem I see, is that not all places will allow you to take a wheeled carrier. But, may work where you hunt?
I’ve never seen something like that. Seen them for bikes. I doubt it would work for my favorite wilderness area. There are switchbacks and rough areas. But I hope I draw one of my hunts so I can hike the route to consider the cart option.

Actually I always find pack horses for elk extraction prior to all my Western hunts. And I sometimes apply with a party of friends for drop camps. I just think it would be to expensive to do that solo. Almost all my hunting is solo. I can hunt from my tent & vehicle fine. Backpacking my Fanny pack & treestand on my back is fine. But toting 60# with a whole camp on my back is problematic. I really like the flexibility of solo backpacking.
Make 2 trips...30lbs each time. Rent llamas, hire a couple Sherpas...all kinds of options.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen something like that. Seen them for bikes. I doubt it would work for my favorite wilderness area. There are switchbacks and rough areas. But I hope I draw one of my hunts so I can hike the route to consider the cart option.
Can't take a cart into designated wilderness.

Lots of you tube videos how to pack lite. You should get your pack to 35 lbs and shave off any gut weight. my wife and i backpacked the JMT@63. thats 240 miles, 50,000 vertical feet. pace yourself. line up packers if you score.

While filling out my Colorado sheep application yesterday I was thinking again about the reality of trying to backpack with my pacemaker. The strap pressure is a big problem. I basically shifted my hunt choices to easier terrain the last 7 years. But I really want to backpack again since a fire burned my favorite area in one state, including the TH and 90% of the 3 mile trail in. So I applied for two hunts there, despite not knowing if and how I can backpack 60# again. So I was wondering if someone makes a product for this or how they have overcome this. It's especially frustrating wanting to have a real BH sheep hunt but knowing I cannot realistically backpack to the extreme almost all the NR CO choices require. I ended up picking the unit 34 December archery hunt. Thx for any input.

On top of that was surprised when I got a bit nauseous at the top of Pike's Peak last summer for the first time. I had to lay down. Maybe because of my age (63), or Covid? Never happened before. Not a good omen for my any of these high altitude units I want.
Zim

I've had a pacemaker since 2011 on my second one now. I'm 69 and still do good day hikes and hunt with my son who is 45.
My Cardiologist sees me every three months and gives me the green light to do what I want.
I used to dive for Abalones when they had a season he found out and told me to not go deeper than 10'.
As far as the strap goes I use extra padding and do more on my right side than my left side. Not great but it works for me.
So it's really up to you and your doctor don't let age cheat you out of life's experiences.
My Grandma who lived to be 112 said you are only as old as you feel.....LOL Great Lady

At 65 I had a heart attack while hiking a mountain training for a sheep hunt. Fortunately, my son was with me and we had cell coverage. My heart stopped for several minutes, but a series of miracles, including my son and a life flight paramedic saved me.
With care, I was still able to go on the sheep hunt 7 months later.
Now at 74 and I've had numerous incredible mountain adventures since that day. However, I never hunt alone and I always plan for the worst.
I don't have a pacemaker, but I'd recommend taking all the precautions you can. Good luck Zim.

Lots of you tube videos how to pack lite. You should get your pack to 35 lbs and shave off any gut weight. my wife and i backpacked the JMT@63. thats 240 miles, 50,000 vertical feet. pace yourself. line up packers if you score.
This I must research. Thanks. I could also lower my days per camp at like 3 rather than 6 and leave some gear in there. It’s only three miles in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom