bad news for NV hunters

whoops, guess my message didnt post. the bad news is that much of area 22 and 11 have now been converted to wilderness areas. what this means for us is that we will have to pack into the areas and not be able to use any motorized vehicles to get us in to a reasonable position from which we would be better able to hunt the unit. i know that this includes virtually all of mount grafton and the egan range as well as the southern end of 115, and apparently the north side of success loop. this is just another attempt to surpress hunters rights as it will have a very deleterious effect on us to get into the areas that we want to hunt. apparently this was done by the feds and ndow had nothing to do with it. interestingly enough, ndow allocated a lot of cow tags this year to help control the populations but with this going into affect, hunters will have much difficulty getting into these areas. after all, who really wants to pack ing several miles for a cow hunt.

Happy Hunting

Nvgstew_ where did you get this info? I'd like to read up on this. Those two areas have awsome bucks in them an 22 is a HUGE area, i would like to see the new wilderness boundaries and such. Thanks

I have been scouting 22 the last month and was surprised at how many roads are blocked off do to wilderness areas. Most of the signs have been put up in the last few months, so if you plan on hunting this unit make sure you check out your possible hunting location. There will be a few surprised people opening weekend of their hunts.

I'm with Fatrooster on this one! It's about time. Those areas are literally being destroyed by lazy a$$ ohv riders. There are new roads cut everywhere. Last year during elk season there were quads all over Grafton, even in the meadows where we were watching elk before the season opened. You can't go anywhere where they don't ride. The forest service needs to really step up enforcement and confiscate machines from the offenders. They use the excuse that it's only a few that ruin it for all the law abiding ohv's, but I have yet to see one ohv rider stay on the road.
Wes

WOW! I just looked it up and yah its bad news for ohv hunters. But those of us NV hunters who like to get off there ass and hike or pack in this is going to be some of NEVADAS best mule deer country in the future. Its already has some book bucks from and in it. Heres a buck I got in the Schell Creek Range back in 1997. I bet we'll see alot of the big outfitters hitting these ares even harder now. Give it three or four years there'll be a new Nevada Record from 22.

46abc92c32adbef0.jpg

I agree with you. If you don't have to work for it, it ain't worth taking. I'm a scoutmaster of a boyscout troop and one of my highlights is when we do backpacking trips. Next summer I'm doing a 62 miler, so for me packing in a couple of miles to get a deer is fun.

jmcenulty, I just got back from riding the Ruby Crest Trail on Horseback (50 miles) and saw a scout troop from Battle Mountain. Those boys were pretty tuff. They hiked a 15 mile section, which was the hardest section of the whole trip, then they turned around and hiked it back the other way the very next day. One of the boys was 11 years old. My partner gave them some licorice and fig newtons and them boys thought they were in heaven. fatrooster.

It's funny. After doing something like that food allways seems to taste better. I rember when I was in the Army and we went to the field for 21 days straight. All we had was MREs. When we got back we all thought the food in the chow hall was gourmet food.

Hey fatrooster,

I was up that way too and I believe I got your picture by the campfire.

46ac386145f4be9c.jpg

haha,

JB

i agree with the fact that it will be good for the animals in the area insofar that they will be less suseptible to falling to a lazy hunter. however, just to get back to grafton from cave valley road is about a five mile hike. though that isnt that far, it will make hunting more difficult. i have a cow tag in there this year and hiking back 5+ miles for a cow is something i dont want to do and most hunters will probably be unwilling to do. ndow has wanted to thin out the elk in there a little bit and this is going to have the complete opposite effect. oh well, i guess ill have to go down south or something, i dont know.

Happy Hunting

Don't really see this as bad news. This will lead to better hunting opportunities in the long run. With the increases in tags that these areas have seen lately, this will help lower pressure in some areas and maybe some of the trophy quality will bouce back. Just means a little more walking and a little less 4-wheelin!

Sorry us clowns like wilderness designations but with all the jackasses in the brush these days on atv's, It's the only way to achieve a satisfying hunt. These designations seperate the men from the boys. Sorry to all who physically are unable to pack in afoot.

Koyote

I'm with koyote on this one. I always intentionally look for wilderness areas or the furthest point from roads that I can get to hunt. Don't like other hunters around when I'm out there. Scott

D13er, you must have been in the bushes. You should of come over to the campfire and I would of given you a cup of coffee. Clown coffee that is, ha ha. I like the pic, keep em comin'. But get a camera that will take color photo's. fatrooster.

I cant see anyone walking into grafton. The wilderness line is right off highway 93, unless you plan to spend a few days up there on the bench, because it will take you half a days ride on a horse from the highway. I agree about the atvs they have hurt it for the hunters but the government should have left the main roads access that have been there for a hundred years. I feel bad for the first ding dongs that try to go around the signs and get caught , the first ones that are caught are going to be examples for others not to try and break the rules. I stop hunting these areas a long time ago because it was tent city and all the atv action these areas get. I put in for one area in nevada and it takes me 6 to 8 yrs to draw it, but i dont ever see anyone, but most people are also getting smart and making the chances even harder.

Wilderness has advantages and disadvantages. You are not going to shoot an archery elk back in 5 miles and get it out before it spoils. It is hard to pack in and get your animals out when your an older hunter. Making it a horse hunting unit. Some younger guys may like it now. They may not like it if they were 60 plus years old. If ATVs would obey the law, and have limited access, we could have the best of both worlds.

>Half the clowns on this site
>love wilderness designations. I don't.
>
>
>JB
Biggest clown in the state...After seeing what ATVs have done to area 22 in the last ten years I am very happy to see this designation, but also a little wary. If that makes sense.
46ae5a45707f135e.jpg

My 22 buck after a 3 hour haul out of some big canyons.
NRA
USW #5282

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass on the ground when they jump. There's a lot of if's. The bottom line is, ohv riders don't obey the laws. After studying maps of Grafton last year we decided to ride into an area that on the maps showed no roads. Well when we got to the top guess what we found. ROADS on every frikin ridge, and quads parked on the sides of the hills where there where no roads. We also rode the Schell Creeks, same thing, roads everywhere. After a 2 hour climb we were resting the horses when a quad comes riding right up through the trees, this happened two days in a row. Those lazy bastards have no respect for the law or the land. I hope the forest service confiscates a few quads or whatever their riding then maybe they'll start paying attention.
Wes

My opposition to designating wilderness is based on my belief that the Federal government doesn't give a damn about big game or big game hunters. They want total control of everything. People that are used to using the new wilderness areas will continue for a while but they will clean the people out through attrition. It isn't easy to get kids interested in hunting and keeping them interested when it becomes so difficult. Same goes for older hunters. 7.5 million acres of the california desert was made wilderness and lots of it are now simply inaccessable because of the lack of water for stock and people.

JB

I totally agree with you on the goverment control issue too, and mabye WSA's(wilderness study areas) are a happy medium as traveling off road is prohibited in these areas. The problem with this is that people don't obey the rules and I really don't like the idea of a desert pig behind every bush watching us, so I guess for me it's a double edged sword.

Koyote

Come on guys! Step back and look at the whole picture. I too once hated wilderness expasions and thought that all it was was more government control, and maybe in a slight sence it is. But look at the benefits to the land and wildlife. The number of people using the land is increasing exponentially. Everyone you see has a four-wheeler and is taking it everywhere it is physically posible. We are destrying what little quality wildlife habitat we have left. At least once it is wilderness, it is protected. No more yahoos building 5000 square foot houses where elk used to winter. Overall this is a good thing. If you are an older hunter, find someone with horses and believe me, you will see more trophy animals coming out of these areas within the next few years.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-07 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]I had a conversation with a guy from the forest service a year ago about a study they were doing in cave valley in area 22. He said that off of a 10 mile section of the main cave valley road there was almost 400 miles of roads and atv trails, and that was only off a 10 mile section of the main road. Imagin how many roads/atv trails take off of the entire cave valley road.

I have no problem with them shutting down any of these roads. I have a 22 deer tag this year that took me 4 years to get and am not worried one bit. Maybe because I am not lazy and will work for a buck.

http://www.huntinhard.com

i love the fact it is now a wilderness, means the animals will get a lot less pressure, and it will be good to feel the burn so in chukar season i won't drop dead on top of the rim rock, especially sense ndow says numbers will be down this year for those evil birdies :)

Put me in the group under the Big Top. I have no problems at all with this, but then I have been hunting a wilderness area via the big red shoelace express for 20 plus years.

I couldnt be happier. I walk and have never used a four wheeler. This is gonna help bring back some huge animals. Im sick of watching 4 wheelers drive every where. As a Huntin' Hard T-Shirt says, Save Your Money... BUY SOME BOOTS!

timberline

Amen Brother! Love to walk, hate to ride! Pair a boots a season or your just lazy I always say!

Timberline

I don't demonize 4 wheelers, if you attacked the issue by outlawing them then you would just have a bunch of hunters in jeeps and small 4x4's tearing up the same country. The designated wilderness is the correct approach and provides more quality hunting country for those of us who consider the end of the road as the point in which the hunt begins. As I stated previously, I have been hunting a wilderness area for a long time and would like to see more of this designation implemented across the state. I think it's a win - win situation, providing much better habitat for wildlife which equates into QUALITY hunting for sportsmen.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I own two 4 wheelers }>

One of the best thing's NDOW has done by far. I dont own a four wheeler, never used one on a hunt, and wouldnt have it any other way.

Timberline

I am planning my 2008 clown hunt now. I will be needing a woopi cushion, a handshake buzzer, a flower to squirt water at people, some new clown makeup, a pair of baggy overalls, and some pies to throw at my hunting partner. I'll be hunting under the big top, gook, gook!!!!! fatrooster.

Count me in as a die hard hunter who is excited about the new wilderness. I hate to side with the tree-huggers on any issue, but ATV abusers have cut their own throats.

Last year, looking for sheds down in that country, I spent a couple days on horseback and on foot, and found one little raghorn. What I did find were ATV tracks gridding every little burn, meadow, & opening in country that's now wilderness.

Hope it gets enforced effectively. Anybody hear any enforcement action on the Oct/Nov hunts?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom