Baiting and Trail Cameras

Do baiting and trail cameras give an unfair advantage to hunters?

• Baiting does

Votes: 84 81.6%
  • Baiting doesn’t

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Trail cameras do

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • Trail cameras don’t

Votes: 35 34.0%

• Total voters

DarkTimber

It’s a hot topic right now. It could be situation specific, but generally speaking do baiting and trail cameras give an unfair advantage to hunters?

Yep, and the funny thing is the guys who say they don't help that much are the same ones that are against getting rid of them.
I don't believe trail cameras give an unfair advantage. The camera serves the same exact purpose as if I were out hiking every day and glassing or just sitting on a trail or water hole and watching what comes in every day. Only thing different is that with the camera I am not disturbing the animals and running them around like I would be if I were constantly hiking about. Cameras also allow me to use my preference points and time more wisely, and possibly help me select an animal that I would like to harvest, instead of shooting the first animal that walks within range.

On the other hand I do agree that baiting is unfair. It's like opening a buffet or all the best grub in town. You know for a fact that if you sit there on that food, something worth your time will come, where as with a camera, all you are doing is learning what naturally comes to that location.

Are we in a time warp?? :oops: Has anything of consequence changed?

This topic has been bent, spindled, stapled & otherwise mutilated about a gazillion times here over the last couple years. Heck, there are even at least three other threads currently available.

I don't believe trail cameras give an unfair advantage. The camera serves the same exact purpose as if I were out hiking every day and glassing or just sitting on a trail or water hole and watching what comes in every day. Only thing different is that with the camera I am not disturbing the animals and running them around like I would be if I were constantly hiking about. Cameras also allow me to use my preference points and time more wisely, and possibly help me select an animal that I would like to harvest, instead of shooting the first animal that walks within range.

On the other hand I do agree that baiting is unfair. It's like opening a buffet or all the best grub in town. You know for a fact that if you sit there on that food, something worth your time will come, where as with a camera, all you are doing is learning what naturally comes to that location.

So what you're saying is... they help you kill animals and scout when you're unable to be in the woods. Okay, got it, but it's not unfair. I see your point....

So what you're saying is... they help you kill animals and scout when you're unable to be in the woods. Okay, got it, but it's not unfair. I see your point....
They for sure can help make a hunt successful. I'm not talking about using like a cam that instantly sends me pictures as they are take. I'm not that rich haha. But yes, we can't be in the hills 24/7, so to learn what comes to an area when I can't be there is nice information.

um...you just explained the advantage trail cams give you. if people cant see the advantage of 24 hour surveillance they cant be helped to understand it

um...you just explained the advantage trail cams give you. if people cant see the advantage of 24 hour surveillance they cant be helped to understand it
Yeah I guess I should have added thay everyone has the ability to utilize this surveillance..it would be unfair if only certain people could use them.

1645560363983.png

personally i say whatever. i use one for bear bait. undoubtedly gives me an advantage to pattern bears. i don't use one for deer or elk just because its not worth the time to me to run them.

i'm not for or against them but definitely believe there elimination is an advantage to game.

bigwiffy should be along shortly to talk about long rage hunting.you can set your watch to how these threads are going to go....

personally i say whatever. i use one for bear bait. undoubtedly gives me an advantage to pattern bears. i don't use one for deer or elk just because its not worth the time to me to run them.

i'm not for or against them but definitely believe there elimination is an advantage to game.

bigwiffy should be along shortly to talk about long rage hunting.you can set your watch to how these threads are going to go....
Yeah I'm with ya. I use them but that's because I will be hunting a huge area and it takes 15 years to draw so I'd like to make my odds the best.

Im sticking around so hopefully I'll learn the trends of some of yall haha

It’s a hot topic right now. It could be situation specific, but generally speaking do baiting and trail cameras give an unfair advantage to hunters?
Define "baiting" and "unfair advantage"!

I guess we'll find out if they work or not when we get the 2022 hunt success results in Utah. But, whether or not they are "unfair" is just an opinion mostly based on emotion and how we learned to hunt.

I think they help, but IMO and experience, not to the extent or in the ways that hunters who want them banned need to justify the banning.

I'd say both work or people wouldn't do it. I bait with cameras for bear, I wouldn't consider it unfair, as stated by others, anyone can do it too. I'd say the problematic part is cameras on species when baiting isn't legal. I know that some places have scarce water so that's always an option. Where I am there's plentiful water which makes it prohibitive to find a good spot to get reliable pictures of deer and elk, I think this tempts people to bait the cameras, which people do, which I think is unfair.

Love the 35% of guys (so far) that say trail cams give you no advantage. Answer me this. If I keep your house under 24 hour surveillance do you think I have an advantage to know when to break in and steal all your chit?

Nah. No advantage there….

Last edited:
Love the 35% of guys (so far) that say trail cams give you no advantage. Answer me this. If I keep your house under 24 hour surveillance do you think I have an advantage to know when to break in and steal all your chit?

Nah. No advantage there….
That's what door locks and a big a$$ dog is for.

What is the end goal of the ban?

What is hopeful result of banning cameras?

Are we banning because some think it's unfair to the animal?

Are we banning because some think it's unfair to other hunters who don't run cameras or as many as some hunters or Outfitters?

Will it help Utah grow more deer and elk?

Has there been a survey done on how many deer or elk have been harvested over bait?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what is trying to be accomplished.

Are we banning because some think it's unfair to other hunters who don't run cameras or as many as some hunters or Outfitters?

Has there been a survey done on how many deer or elk have been harvested over bait?

I do believe it's to give the animal a larger advantage/chance. I do agree as I said earlier that game cams do give you a step above animals. You know where they are coming, when, how often etc.....

No it doesn't.

You out hiking and sitting 24 hours a day, 365 year?

Fair chase.

Limiting corporate hunting.

I do think there will be fewer animals taken, but I don't think the biggest reason is improving deer numbers

All good and appropriate questions. I think when people start fighting over trees to hang their cam on, it's time for them all to go.

No it doesn't.

You out hiking and sitting 24 hours a day, 365 year?
Technically I could. If work and what not wasn't a thing. But absolutely I physically could. Someone who was rich enough could sit on a waterhole every day for as long as desired. Now that doesn't mean anyone has done that, mainly because there's trail cameras, so why not use technology. It's no different than a rifle scope compared to iron sights. I absolutely could shoot iron sights, but why would I do that when I could use a scope and shoot farther easier. Cams...why use my time sitting and gathering the Intel when I could use the game camera to do that. It's all about effectiveness.

Seeing game is not the same as killing it.
Camera's that send an alert to your cell phone can definitely be an unfair advantage. Mr. cell camera is hunting on one ridge and gets an alert his target animal is on the other ridge, don't tell me he's not going to head that way. He'll never admit to this already illegal act after putting his tag on it. Not something that's talked about.

Camera's that send an alert to your cell phone can definitely be an unfair advantage. Mr. cell camera is hunting on one ridge and gets an alert his target animal is on the other ridge, don't tell me he's not going to head that way. He'll never admit to this already illegal act after putting his tag on it. Not something that's talked about.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe during hunting season those GPS or cellular cams are illegal. I thought I read that during the season they have to be SD card style recordings, not instant transmission. But I do agree!

Technically I could. If work and what not wasn't a thing. But absolutely I physically could. Someone who was rich enough could sit on a waterhole every day for as long as desired. Now that doesn't mean anyone has done that, mainly because there's trail cameras, so why not use technology. It's no different than a rifle scope compared to iron sights. I absolutely could shoot iron sights, but why would I do that when I could use a scope and shoot farther easier. Cams...why use my time sitting and gathering the Intel when I could use the game camera to do that. It's all about effectiveness.
The big problem with this is a lot, if not all, game departments issue more tags than the unit can support harvest, knowing that historical averages for harvest will be attained. The easier you make it to harvest the fewer tags the units can support, it's pretty simple. As a good hunter wouldn't you rather more opportunity(tags) in lower success units? I'm saying I'd rather try to out hunt other people every year without cams than have to wait on tags and get to use cams.

This is a good point, only with E-mapping. Mapping apps on cell phones or chips in handheld GPS's can give you real time intel on terrain to head an animal off or keep you from making a wrong trun on a stalk without having to stop and pull out a paper topo to try and determine where you are. So you essentially get first hand knowledge without even having to scout an area.

This is a great advantage since the average flat-brimmer has no clue on how to lay out a course on a topo using a UTM grid system. Most guides and outfitters too.

Good hell mountainsqwabler, are you serious or are you being sarcastic. if your serious you are a flat brimmer that hasn’t any common sense, and is definetly a Democrat. If that’s your logic I’m going to use helicopters. It’s way easier and hell it’s just technology.

Good hell mountainsqwabler, are you serious or are you being sarcastic. if your serious you are a flat brimmer that hasn’t any common sense, and is definetly a Democrat. If that’s your logic I’m going to use helicopters. It’s way easier and hell it’s just technology.
100% serious, and 100% not a dem, but thanks for asking. And I have a lot of common sense thanks again lol. And there's a level of stupidity that you hit thinking all this stuff and going so far as to think that using helicopters is even remotely close to using a camera in the woods that you have to set up and then go back out to get to see any information.

from what your saying technology is great so let’s use everything we can. There comes a point that we overwhelm the pray we are after with technology. we are at that cross roads. Let’s make it a little more fair to the animals

from what your saying technology is great so let’s use everything we can. There comes a point that we overwhelm the pray we are after with technology. we are at that cross roads. Let’s make it a little more fair to the animals
That's a more respectful response, thank you. Where I do agree that not all technology should be used for hunting and there must be a limit, but that limit shouldn't be cameras. Maybe instant messaging cams like stated above should be banned, I'll sign that bill. But if in June I want to watch a water hole and then in August pick my camera up and sort through pictures and videos and find times and dates for when the animal was there....yeah I should be able to. You say there should be restrictions to technology, how about extremely EXTREMELY long ranged scopes allowing guys to take 1300+ yard shots at bears and elk and other game, how fair is that?

And I never said technology was so great, all I Said was that game cameras allow us to do effective, non intrusive surveying of an area of land such as a water hole and see what is coming to said spot. I never said lets grab a helicopter and start chasing elk around the hills and maybe throw in a bazooka!!!

Your rifle with iron sights can't shoot in the pitch dark.

Your cam can take pics.

And NO you can't be awake, 24/7/365.

Your cam is

Your rifle with iron sights can't shoot in the pitch dark.

Your cam can take pics.

And NO you can't be awake, 24/7/365.

Your cam is
They make iron sights with lighted dots...so yes you can.

And it's just an example. During the day time I could stay up, that would show me all I needed because I hunt during the day. And regardless, I have to go back out and get the camera and sift through any pictures on it to see what's been there at any time of day. It's not like the camera calls me when an animal is infront of it lol.

Are we in a time warp?? :oops: Has anything of consequence changed?

This topic has been bent, spindled, stapled & otherwise mutilated about a gazillion times here over the last couple years. Heck, there are even at least three other threads currently available.
Same thing could be said about the 200 posts of steak and fries.

Do trail cameras equal hired Posse like mossback and others do just replacing people with electronics? BTW I don't agree with trail cameras or Utah style Posse's.

Every time you talk you make my point for making cameras illegal. I Feel so sorry for you that you have to actually drive out and pickup your camera and sift through your pictures. I’ll bet that’s rough on a guy.

Every time you talk you make my point for making cameras illegal. I Feel so sorry for you that you have to actually drive out and pickup your camera and sift through your pictures. I’ll bet that’s rough on a guy.
....man I won't even entertain a debate with you. You're just a short grumpy old Fart who is too simple minded. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine. I have stated nothing that supports you lol

I guess I could elaborate my point of view on game cams...I might have confused some and that's my mistake.

I do agree with the use of regular game cams for Watching waterholes and such. I don't believe the use of cellular cams should be legal at all, but SD cams are ok. I also do believe that come say...August, when hunting season starts that no matter what type of game camera, that it must be taken down, and then once hunting season is over I can put it back up.

I believe that's where maybe the confusion to some was coming from, because I don't think they should be used during the season...before and after season they are just another tool for scouting.

The side boards is what's acceptable vs not acceptable are typically the deciding factors with argumentative discussions. Thanks for clarifying. Horsecorn is right on levels as I agree with some of your limits too, aka sideboards, which are typically the determining and or acceptable public factors. Good discussions. BTW cameras suck and should be illegal as well as baiting unless it's under my tree stand.

Last edited:
They make iron sights with lighted dots...so yes you can.

And it's just an example. During the day time I could stay up, that would show me all I needed because I hunt during the day. And regardless, I have to go back out and get the camera and sift through any pictures on it to see what's been there at any time of day. It's not like the camera calls me when an animal is infront of it lol.

Yup. And without the cam, you wouldn't know what was or wasn't there, what time, what day.

So I'm trying to understand these responses.

We got centerfire rifles. We got binoculars and spotting scopes. We got camouflage. We got scopes for our center fire rifles. We got bows with cams on them. We got space age carbon fiber arrows. We got mechanical broudheads. We got 4 wheelers. Then we got side by sides. We got ballistic turrets. We got ballistic calculators. We got radios. We got cell phones. We got mapping technology.

AND SUDDENLY OUT OF NOWHERE YOU DECIDE A BAIT PILE OR A CRAPPY CAMERA THAT CAN TAKE PICTURES IN THE DARK OF ONE SPOT 50 FEET IN FRONT OF IT ISN'T FAIR????????????? or that it's killing to many animals?????????????

This is more stupid than the idea of "born again virgins"

By the way Indians used bait long before they had a centerfire rifle.

START TALKING TO EACH OTHER ABOUT THE REAL PROBLEMS AND MAYBE YOUR HUNTING WILL GET BETTER.

Keep squabbling over distractions for mental midgets and your kids will be bird watchers instead of hunters.

This is the hill you die on?????

Last edited:
Indians had "centerline" rifles?

I think you described yourself perfectly when you referred to mental midgets.

The next crusade needs to be the ban of game calls that help us "Speak the Language". A lot of technology has been used to advance a call from a turkey wing bone or handmade flute.

It is really not fair to use a cow call on an antlerless hunt to stop a small herd long enough for you to get a shot off.

And then, there are the electronic predator calls. Now that one is really unfair. Spot and stalk coyote or bobcat is definitely putting the hunt back into hunting...

So I'm trying to understand these responses.

We got centerfire rifles. We got binoculars and spotting scopes. We got camouflage. We got scopes for our center fire rifles. We got bows with cams on them. We got space age carbon fiber arrows. We got mechanical broudheads. We got 4 wheelers. Then we got side by sides. We got ballistic turrets. We got ballistic calculators. We got radios. We got cell phones. We got mapping technology.

AND SUDDENLY OUT OF NOWHERE YOU DECIDE A BAIT PILE OR A CRAPPY CAMERA THAT CAN TAKE PICTURES IN THE DARK OF ONE SPOT 50 FEET IN FRONT OF IT ISN'T FAIR????????????? or that it's killing to many animals?????????????

This is more stupid than the idea of "born again virgins"

By the way Indians used bait long before they had a centerfire rifle.

START TALKING TO EACH OTHER ABOUT THE REAL PROBLEMS AND MAYBE YOUR HUNTING WILL GET BETTER.

Keep squabbling over distractions for mental midgets and your kids will be bird watchers instead of hunters.

This is the hill you die on?????
I agree. Those whole debate steams from the lack of mule deer and elk hunting opportunities. If there was a surplus of animals, then no one would care (for the most part) how we hunt or harvest them. One example is hunting coyotes, most hunters never worry about the "fair chase" or "ethics" just reduce the number. This is just a distraction over the real issues. Some claim it will help increase herds or quality. I'm in favor of trying a unit or 2 in the state as a test. Personally, I don't think it will do a thing to help. But I've been wrong before.

Idaho ruined one of it's best trophy units for both mule deer and elk in the last decade or so. The F&G did this because some genius determined there were too many elk for the feed capacity of the range. Point being they upped the cow elk tags to 400 a year. Well it turns out that people with cow elk tags are more than happy to say when and where they saw a buck or a bull. And with that many hunters there was no way any buck or bull was not going to be seen. Long story short, there are no longer cow hunts in that unit and the bull and buck tags have been cut to the bone, also you'd be hard pressed to find a 160" deer in a unit that should produce 190"+ every year. If you think more eyes(and cameras are eyes) don't impact quality of bucks/bulls you're wrong. It's a binary choice; no cameras and more tags or cameras and less tags, if you want to maintain herd quality.

Idaho ruined one of it's best trophy units for both mule deer and elk in the last decade or so. The F&G did this because some genius determined there were too many elk for the feed capacity of the range. Point being they upped the cow elk tags to 400 a year. Well it turns out that people with cow elk tags are more than happy to say when and where they saw a buck or a bull. And with that many hunters there was no way any buck or bull was not going to be seen. Long story short, there are no longer cow hunts in that unit and the bull and buck tags have been cut to the bone, also you'd be hard pressed to find a 160" deer in a unit that should produce 190"+ every year. If you think more eyes(and cameras are eyes) don't impact quality of bucks/bulls you're wrong. It's a binary choice; no cameras and more tags or cameras and less tags, if you want to maintain herd quality.
Sadly colorado did this with a few units for mule deer, but CPW stated it was to help mitigate CWD. Over I believe.....6 or 7 units they added some like 6,000 doe tags! And we experienced the same issue this last year, a 160" buck was a monster......very saddening.

If a buck or a bull hunter has to rely on cow hunters to dial them in, then the buck and bull hunters don't know the hell what they're doing...
It has nothing to do with reliance. People talk, it might even be your wife, friend, cousin, co-worker, etc., with the cow tag. The more eyes in the unit the more people who know where the big ones are, until they aren't.

It has nothing to do with reliance. People talk, it might even be your wife, friend, cousin, co-worker, etc., with the cow tag. The more eyes in the unit the more people who know where the big ones are, until they aren't.
I suppose that could be true. I know an elite buck and bull hunter who couldn't tie his own shoes let alone find a buck or bull without someone giving him some "tips"...

You are not sitting 10 water holes 365 days a year. Most people dont just put out one camera

Being a nonresident I should not comment on how Idaho and Montana ruined their hunting , but being in the wildlife management business Idaho and other western states imo should start a major overhaul by doing
1. start a AR program ( antler restriction)
2.,stop the “ it’s brown it’s down mentality “ Idaho hunters are basically meat hunters and shoot the first elk or deer they see be it spike , doe , hind or stag , buck or bull
3. consign more permits to be delegated to NR trophy hunters ( they are more prone to harvest mature animal )
4 increase resident licensing fees by 200+% to reduce resident pressures
5. better habitat management on BLM & federal land ( reduction in cattle grazing leasing)

i expect guys from Idaho and Montana will have a different opinion on the topic !
but they’re the guilty party and will gladly pass the blame, these above suggestions are proven methods, I wish western Nebraska and Dakota would employ better wildlife management practices also
and game cameras on federal land no , to much arguing between people

Last edited:
Yup trisate. We got all that stuff you mentioned, it has to stop somewhere it seems the animals don’t have a chance Anymore.

If cameras don’t help then why is big three outfitters fighting the ban so hard. They know how much they help them. Stop whoring out the pictures they get.

If cameras don’t help then why is big three outfitters fighting the ban so hard. They know how much they help them. Stop whoring out the pictures they get.
If that camera that takes pictures out to 30 yards is that big of an advantage, then while we're at it we must ban scopes past 24 power because shooting that far is unfair, range finders must go because that's Unfair, spotting scopes because that's unfair, it's all unfair to the animals.

You do notice you have decided to draw the line where you think it gives someone else an advantage but not you. You don't want to give up your advantages, just somebody's advantage that might be hunting the same deer you are.

It's no wonder we can't agree when y'all can't follow simple instructions! The OP asked you to vote and explain why you voted as you did. Once you did that, you should move on! He didn't invite you to give your opinion about everybody else's vote or explanation or opinion. Now we'll NEVER know how many of the readers feel about these two issues 'cause they don't want to get raked over the coals for having an opinion different from yours. Start your own thread or MOVE ON!

The problem is when guys (guides?) run dozens or hundreds of cams. When several cams are located in the same spot one on top of another. When a signal can be sent to your phone real time. When a person checks his or her cam during hunting season when someone else is sitting at the water hole in a blind...trying to hunt. It's unfortunate that the actions of a few affect so many others. Reminds me of why and how shed hunting seasons got started.

I have 6-8 cams I use some years. Been doing it for several years now, and have yet to kill a critter I got on trail cam. None. Zip. Zero. So there really hasn't been any advantage for me so far. I'll continue to use them as long as they're legal here ( Wy). They're a ton of fun! I love looking at the pics. I set 'em out and leave them for a week or two. I'll check them while scouting if I'm in the neighborhood. I really look forward to this! Luckily, we don't have the big money hunts here that tend to create the competition over the biggest trophies. IMO, those big money auction tags that go year-round are the worst thing that ever happened to hunting. Those tags are what created the big money competition for the biggest trophies. Those tags are also the reason for the trail cam bans! Without those tags, the competition for the biggest trophy dies down a bunch! I believe trail cam over-usage would also die down. Of course, whenever big money is involved, well....you know.

Why should I have to give up using my sd card cams because of other unscrupulous people's actions??

Ban cell cams. Place a limit on how many a guy can run. In arid states, don't allow them on water. Ban usage during hunting season. So far, cams are not a huge issue here in Wy. We don't offer year-round tags here. So...it's not a big issue.

You can see some really cool stuff that you might never see without trail cameras! Critters not spooked and acting natural in their environment.

160.JPG

189.JPG

473.JPG

1391.JPG

190.JPG

910.JPG

19598572_895127417305518_6951208542422886360_n.jpg

SUNP2863.JPG

SUNP5110.JPG

SUNP8750.JPG

Nontypical good for you guys up in Wyoming. Just don’t let your state turn into utah and you will probably be all right. Fight them auction tags up there.

It's no wonder we can't agree when y'all can't follow simple instructions! The OP asked you to vote and explain why you voted as you did. Once you did that, you should move on! He didn't invite you to give your opinion about everybody else's vote or explanation or opinion. Now we'll NEVER know how many of the readers feel about these two issues 'cause they don't want to get raked over the coals for having an opinion different from yours. Start your own thread or MOVE ON!
Huh? You mean comments like you just made? It’s a message board for crying out loud. :ROFLMAO:

Nontypical good for you guys up in Wyoming. Just don’t let your state turn into utah and you will probably be all right. Fight them auction tags up there.
All of our auction/raffle tags are only good during open season; NOT year-round. Further, a commissioner's tag holder must pick the unit as well as the species. No bouncing around from unit to unit. Only Governor's tag holders may hunt ANY open unit. Year long tags will NEVER happen in Wyoming.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom