Barbary Sheep Info Needed.

P

patientlywaiting

Whats the scoop on these sheep? I know nothing about them other than what little I've read and that they live in rough, dry, steep, type places.

It looks like there are a bunch of units that have unlimited tags. Do many people hunt these areas and how successfull are they? I've wanted to do it but never have and just starting to look into it for maybe this next year.

Any pointers on what units for the public land hunts? How about private land hunts with a low trespass fee. I really can't afford to pay a high treepass free so it will probably have to be a public land hunt.

Any information anyone is willing to share to help me out, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

They are fun to hunt. Ive hunted them the last three years. We like the meat too. Hondo Valley.

I would suggest that you go out and scout for them in one of the areas like unit 30, where there are quite a few sheep. I would go scout for them before you put in for a tag. After you've spotted them a couple times and know what you are looking for, they are a lot easier to hunt. It really helps if you can go with someone who has hunted them before. For a beginner, I would recommend unit 30. There are plenty of sheep there, so it's a good place to start out, but it's not easy to find a big one there. Also, be prepared for a shot of 250 yards or more. They are very addictive, so once you get into them, you will probably be hooked for a couple years (or maybe for life).

Thanks Petethefishman, from what little bit I can find out it looks like most of the land in Hondo Valley is private is that correct?

Maxxbob1, Thats great advice and I'd love to go on a hunt as an extra pair of eyes with someone who knows the area that could show me the ropes. I'd love to work that out.

If I'm looking at the proclaimation correctly Unit 30 has unlimited landowner tags and 600 public land tags.

As far as the public land what would you guess is the harvest success rate on these tags? Does NM show a harvest report for each unit? I haven't seen one on their site.

How hard is it to find landowners who will let you hunt on their ranches? And what would one expect to pay for a tresspass fee?

THanks again for any info you guys and gals are willing to share.

I would guess harvest percentage is less than 10%, probably closer to 5%. For a trespass fee, your looking at $1500 BARE minimum. Probably closer to $3000.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom