barbary sheep questions

pwrlineman

I have always wanted to hunt barbary sheep, do-it-yourself, but have found it hard to get good information on public land opportunities. It seems as if everyone wants alot of money for tresspass or guided hunts. I seen unit 30 mentioned and some discussions on were to look. Does anyone know what the draw odds are on the limited qouta units and the success rates. Are the sheep distributed across the unit and success generally high for someone who puts on a back pack and the boot miles. I am not expecting anyone to reveal their honey hole, but just looking for some good information on where a non resident might hunt and expect a resonable opportunity to harvest a barbary. Thanks for any help.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-10 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]This is the first year they have had the draw. I believe they issued 600 tags for unit 30, not for sure though. I have been fortunate to kill 3 sheep the last three years. But it took me years to find a place to do this. I believe the limiting of tags will definitely help these guys. These are very difficult to hunt and really can be anywhere after the gunnin starts. get some good maps and look for the roughest terrain around. Walk long enough and you will find some. Good Luck!

"you can't eat the horns..But theres a hell of alot more meat on a big ole buck than a forky" \

Bloodhound just about said it all. Get BLM maps, topo maps, find steep country, far from roads, quad access and spend a lot of time behind glass.

They like tops of mountains, will feed on top of the rims sometimes and then drop into the steep stuff.

Do now expect to see many sheep. I dont think there are any real dense populations. They are few and far between.

Will take commitment of time, lots of hiking and time behind optics.

I would also suggest very good optics and consistency. I have hunted sheep for many years, and have found sheep can travel a good distance before returning to general area, if sign is present. You will likely find pockets of sheep in areas of less pressure.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom