Barbary

nmarchr

Who's chasing barbs this year? I will be out in 29-30 with my hoyt. Good luck to everyone. hoping to post some pics of an archery ram.

I'll be out there too. I will be using the bow-magnum (300WSM) though. My stalking skills are not good enough to give it a try with my bow. Maybe after I get one or two more under my belt I'll give it a go with the bow. Good luck.

Mucho envy. I'm doing the OTC thing this year, but I will be helping out an employee in 29/30 during the 2nd week, assuming he doesn't kill one before I make it down there. Love barbary hunting.

I'll be searching in a couple of weeks 270wsm in tow. Had the tag last year as well and spent 5 days walking and glassing till my eyes bleed. Never even saw a ewe. Hunted south end of the Rim near Brokeoffs. Had a blast just being there chasing but hoping for better results spotting some fur this year.

i hunted the south end of the rim last year. i only hunted a week as well. i only saw between 30-100 per day but then again i dont look under a mile cuz they aint gonna be standin around when ur under that distance. thats their main defense. they hide in a clump of grass or bush or walk away when danger is under 1000 yards. ive personally seen it dozens of times. i finally got tired of not seeing a giant ram and shot a 28 3/4 after 5 days of looking. i would take someone this year since i didnt draw but i'll be damned if im gonna take another hunter who doesnt know how to pick a proper caliber to knock down sheep past 600yds much less not have the ability to shoot past 400. where i go my 338 lapua is mandatory and shots across the canyons are usually 1000 yards. call bs on it all u want but thats why i kill barbarys every time i draw a tag. and ps. u cant stalk closer. the stalk would be a 2 day ordeal to get across the canyons. with that said i wont even mention the pack job.

Hey stomp, I'll pick u up in artesia. wanted to BS with you about the goat Clay killed. Was talking with the taxi about it earlier. I told her that she should be expecting a few more 90" from you guys again this year!

Wow....must be nice to be such an amazing hunter!! I dream every day to be able to be one with the animal, such as you....and obviously, as humble as you!!! Teach us your ways oh merciful master!!!!! (get real man!!!)

New book out.

How to Make Friends and influence people.

Author. Stinky Stomper.

LOL

You got to admit, if Stinky makes a post, you take the time to read it at least for the entertainment value. :)

Stomper, just curious if you knew that spotting Barbs using drones it illegal? Granted my 270wsm won't do the job at 1000yds. Dang, I used to love that gun.

Just wondering since the Barbs are walking away once you get within 1000 yrs does that Mega Scope you must have on that 338 have a automatic cominsation factor built in for movement?What did that set you back? Just having fun Stomper.... No doubt you got hunting those Wiley critters down. Wish I did. Lol

Only a wussy needs a 338 for Barbary. I shot this Barbary at 5000 yards. Notice the .308 I used, heck I didn't even use the scope I used open site with my over-under.

Did I say 5000 yards, I meant 50 yards. It's called hunting not shooting. I'm the world's worst hunter and got lucky. Shouldn't great hunter like Stinky should be able to close the distance without the animal seeing him?

4785wp_000535.jpg

With this fresh tracking snow I made an attempt on my OTC today. Got up at 4:00 a.m. and drove to my spot, and started up the mountain at about 6:30, just as it was starting to get light. I was thinking it was a sure thing, just had to cut a track. Then the fog set in, and didn't lift for about three hours, and no tracks where I was finding them last year. Finally decided to drop to a lower elevation, and cut my first barbary tracks about 3:00 p.m. By then though the snow was mostly melted, and it was a muddy slow go. Never did catch up with them--and I'm amazed at how they used the terrain and vegetation to keep themselves concealed. No doubt in mind they knew I was tracking them. Twelve miles and came up empty--no rest for the wicked...

12 miles+ in that country and still have energy to post. You're a better man than me Bro...hats off. Better luck next go round. I'm down to chase them in 2 wks Can't wait!!!!

nmarcher come by. i just got back. me n my cuz hunted for about 2 hrs today. we passed a 26"ish. hes in perfect position for a bow and theres always sheep in that draw. he will be there this time next year. those sheep never leave. and why are we messaging on mm where theres loud mouth cowards who never wanna meet face to face. i hate this site. text me. i will shoot u coordinates. ive got one way over 30 in there it was just too windy today so i think he was laid down and i have coordinates for a few other sheep. anyways im pretty sure it wont take us long to get u one with ur bow. their everywhere

Right on guys. Good luck to everyone. I won't make it out until this Sunday. I hate it when work gets in the way of hunting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom