BEAR BAIT SUCKER??

buxnbullz

I drew the premium/multi-season La Sal bear tag this year & I'm hoping to find someone that has experience with the "bear bait lollipop" that could answer some questions for me. I'm interested in giving it a try during the summer bait season. Thank you!

i've used/made them in the past. i don't bother any more. its not really gaining you anything, it's one more thing for them to mess with when they're there but that's about it. in my opinion it doesn't add any attraction or activity. you let your bait go empty they are still going to lose interest. not gunna show up just for that sucker.

they are kinda fun to make though

and whoever made that video hasn't been around bears much, you use a rope and have the whole sucker exposed it's just gunna get chewed up and drug off. if you make one use a metal bucket with a eye hook drilled through the bottom and attach a chain to be poured in

and whoever made that video hasn't been around bears much, you use a rope and have the whole sucker exposed it's just gunna get chewed up and drug off. if you make one use a metal bucket with a eye hook drilled through the bottom and attach a chain to be poured in
That's illegal in utah

Good nylon rope works just fine.
I like the suckers for the sole purpose of keeping the bears around if your bait runs out.
I've made several, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.

1000007007.jpg

Last edited:
I made this one using a Home Depot bucket. I would use enough chain to go over the tree branch to where you can tie it off that the Bears can’t pull it down. Also hang it far enough away from the tree to where they can’t climb the tree to get to it. It worked awesome and would keep bears around even when the bait pile was low.

IMG_1706.png

I made one for my Utah bear hunt in 2020. In my experience the cubs loved it, but I never saw any of the older bears messing with it. After a month of bear activity the sucker was hardly licked down at all. Maybe I didn't use the right jello flavor...

I drew the premium/multi-season La Sal bear tag this year & I'm hoping to find someone that has experience with the "bear bait lollipop" that could answer some questions for me. I'm interested in giving it a try during the summer bait season. Thank you!
I have made my own version
Work out very nicely for me
IMG_7166.png

I think they work best for baits that have to be backpacked in. The ones i make weigh about 13 lbs but last all season and when your bulk food runs out it keeps bears around. This combined with fryer grease mixed with northwoods below the lollipop works awesome. Ive had bears onsite for 1 1/2 hours or so at a time they cant hardly leave the lollipop. I use A LOT of jello powder and they love it.

Sounds good. The system I use rarely runs out of bait so I’m not packing or leaving any “gimmies “ for the bears. I’m going to make them work.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom