Bear bait tag's what a joke!

Monstermuley

Has anyone noticed how hard the DWR is making it to get bait tag's for Bear hunting this year? What a joke. GPS coordinates are you serious? How do I know specifically where I'm going to put a bait? I haven't drawn a tag yet. I have ten point's for Utah. Who say's that if I do give Two GPS coordinates that if my bait's aren't getting hit that I don't want to move my bait sites. I mean I know where I'm going to hunt, I keep putting in for the Kamas unit.
I have to have written permission before I can even apply for a bait tag? I have to get written permission from the Forest service or BLM if I want to put bait on public land? Seriously! I get getting permission from private land owners. In Idaho I don't have to get permission from the Forest service before I bait on there land. What a joke.
To me it seem's like Utah doesn't really want anyone to bait in the first place. What are your thoughts on baiting in Utah?

Almost as painful as watching you butcher apostrophe placement.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You ever wonder why other people Run off of your Bait Stations?:D

Just sayin..........................!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

It is tough, but not that bad. Every year gusy do it. But the GPS is not that bad. This way they know guys are not making huge messes. ie, leaving containers, to close to cabins, camps, houses, campgrounds.......
So its not that bad of a thing.

I agree that all sound very hard. I have to say, there may be a scenario in which they are actually looking out for you though.

Say the regulation was that AFTER you draw the tag, THEN you have to provide GPS coordinates of where your bait it... You go out, find your spot, and submit it to the DWR. Then they come back and say, "sorry, you can't place it there." Now you have a tag, and you can't hunt where you thought you could. THAT would suck even worse.

I think GPS is pretty ridiculous, as well as written permission to be on public lands. What happens when I drop my big jar of grape jelly onto a stump at my campsite..?? Did I just "bait" a bear without written permission..?? LOL

If they are worried about a mess, then every yahoo that steps onto FS or BLM land should have to report it. I've seen plenty of huge messes left by all kinds of "outdoor enthusiasts"...

Just get it done brother... You want that bear and the regs are what they are. It'll mean that much more when he's laying on your floor or hangin on the wall...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-15 AT 08:10AM (MST)[p]Just b glad u still get to bait and quit yer biitchin. From all us coloradans!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-15 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]1911 he didn't ask for punctuation/grammar opinions...

MM,
Sounds to me like your all worked up over nothing. Take a deep breath and go back and re read the proclamation. All these rules were put in place because of lazy ignorant behavior and something had to be done if baiting was to continue to be allowed.

1)Yes gps coordinates are required so that dwr can make sure you pick up your site and garbage after your hunt ends. Sad that because of lazy asses they now have to babysit hunters.
2)If you want to move your bait you can! Clean up your existing bait and go get a new COR for a new site.
3)You do NOT need written permission from the BLM or Forest Service, just need to call and verify that they allow baiting in that district. There are only a few areas that don't allow it like recreational areas or areas close to buildings.
4)You do NOT need written permission for anything before you apply for a tag! If you draw and then decide to put your bait on private land you will need written permission from the land owner before a COR is given to you.

It's not too bad. You just need to contact the FS office in the district that you plan to hunt and they will walk you through it. They do have No Bait Zones. The FS offices can send you the maps with those areas outlined so you know where you can and can't bait. They are pretty good about working with you. Google earth is a great tool for getting coordinates. Yes, they do have a bunch of regs and rules, but it's just one more thing they want to control. The above posts are right, it's all about information. Get your maps and all the info you need and go hunt. It's a good time! Good luck buddy

Are master baiters exempt from gps coordinates? We surely don't need Bess sending out coordinates every time he feels like baiting.

It is a pain, but it's doable. You can get coordinates in Google Earth if you know right where you want to put your bait.

I will agree it is much easier in Idaho. Good luck to you.

Dax

You know, I could be all wet, but bear have not been a very high priority hunting species in Utah in the past 80 years, (unless you've been a sheep rancher) due to the limited number of bear, and other related issues that are kind of unique to bear hunting here.

Now that the bear population has increased and the concern/focus is now on bear like it has never been prior to this year, how we hunt them may need to be reviewed and changes considered.

Therefore, now that there is a "new found" desire to remove bear from the State, it might be possible to negotiate a different set of regulations to pursue and kill bear. It seems that sportsmen, to some degree, may be able to present to the Wildlife Board a "more reasonable way" to hunt baited bear, "now" that it looks like it is going to be a more common practice in the State.

It's not completely fair to be overly critical of the UDWR, regarding this new hunting practice, until they've had a year or two to work out the kinks.

Now, having said that, there has been a propensity with in the UDWR, to want to keep things "as they are", so sportsmen will most likely need to initiate a change. It it likely sportsmen will need to work with the Wildlife Board to bring about the needed changes, so that's most likely were the effort should be focused.

That is, if you believe changes in bear baiting and bear hunting need to be update, take it to the RACs and ask them to ask the WB to consider a presentation from an organized group of hunters, regarding "your" proposed changes. Individuals generally have trouble getting the WB's attention. An organized group generally will do better.

But, if you aren't going to do that, nothing will likely change, if you do, it very well may, because of the changing dynamics in the bear focus by the Wildlife Board and the UDWR. Now would be an ideal time to present a 'better way".

Complaining at this juncture might be a little premature and a little unfair. Just saying. :)

DC

I would think that a bait placed somewhere in the vicinity of a FS campground might be a concern. I have heard of a few unintended baits being checked out by hungry bears near camp sites over the past few years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom