Bear in garage

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I've been at work since monday morning. I got a text from my wife early last night asking "what's this?" Looked like bear poop but on a phone, not so sure. Then she discovered 2 plastic tubs in the garage had been drug 30 and 50 yards respectively away from the house and torn open. I told her to close the garage door, let a couple dogs into the house and sleep with my handgun. She says @ approximately 0300 hours last night the dogs and horses went crazy. I saw tracks when I got home today (big bugger)but no further damage.

Anyways, now that I'm home, what do I do??

I've seen tons of bear tracks and this one is huge. Damn thing took a 50 lb bag of dog food out of the garage too. My thought is because of the drought, he's hungry (all bears are).

I pretty sure if he's attacking my dogs or livestock, he can go to sleep legally?? Or scratching the door of my house?

And I live in Lassen County so I have no concerns with a jury if it were to come to that.

I'll keep you posted.

Get some rubber bullets for your shotgun and give him/her a few shots. If you want some bear meat, do what comes naturally, and don't talk much about it. I lived in Mammoth for 14 years and making the bears not want to come around was pretty effective.

Track the bear down and try to get him to reimburse you for the bag of dog food. Thats BS. He probably doesn't even like dog food.

Call F and G and let them know your situation. At least you'll have it on record that you are experiencing the trespasser. Good luck.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Have fish and game trap him and take him to Lake Tahoe, turn him loose and let him live in any cabin, house of his choosing! #@%&*$@&*^!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]He visited again last night. Dogs were going crazy @ 0330. I got up and saw him through the dining room window, making his way towards the garage, cautiously. The dog kennel is only 20 yards from where he was and all 4 that were outside were going crazy. He was looking from them towards the house and then back towards them. I snuck outside without being detected but the moon was behind the house and as I stepped out to "get a better view," he made me, turned and ran. I did fire a warning shot behind him just to let him know not to come back.

I am going to call F&G today, not that it will make much difference.

And he's BIG! I'm no bear expert although I've seen a dozen or so over the years. He's by far the biggest. I'm charging the camera right now. Plan to take a picture of his track with a tape measure for reference.

OBTW, my wife wanted everyone to know that he did enjoy the dog food. The bag was entirely gone and you could see it in his stool.

I live with bears here in Humboldt Co. Make absolutely sure that all food is locked in the garage at all times. If a bear doesn't get fed it will move on. They are always on the prowl so you have to be faithfull about making sure they don't get rewarded with something to eat.

My neighbor puts food out and takes photos with his trail cam. He thinks he is sooooo smart and in tune with nature. He's really an idiot.

Eel

Ive had my share of "garbage bears"! Funniest thing I found was a juicebox, with the straw still in the box? WTF, I have a tough time chittin' eatin' a regular diet! Dam things are like tanks!

CA no longer relocates, get a bear tag for $40, talk to the neighbors, and kill the bear.

The "neighbors" are usually the problem ya' know, prolly Kalifornians?

Problem is it ain't "bear season."

I did contact F&G. Not enough damage to issue a depredation permit.

I did have a positive experience though. The Game Warden was a breath of fresh air for Kali. Won't say much in case a superior may read this but only that his thought process is like many of ours. A guy that most of us would welcome in our camp.

Bear didn't come back last night. Maybe the gunfire as he was hightailing it outta here was enough. I will be more deligent about the garbage and closing the garage door the next few days.

In 22 years here this is only the second time I've had a bear problem. First time was the fall after the Moonlight fire. I understood that bears got displaced because of the fire. This year must be the drought. I hike behind the house almost daily and have only seen bear tracks one other time, the spring after the Moonlight fire. I saw this guy's tracks when the wife and I did our hike this morning. They were from last night but he never made it here. Huge bear. I took pictures of his tracks yesterday. Tape measure across the track, 8 inches across. A great rear track today, as big as my foot except there are toe marks in the front.

Which weapon would you choose to defend yourself, your livestock, or your property? Figuring it'll be after dark, and within 20 yards, a 12 guage shotgun with 4 rounds of 00 buck is my choice. Other options are the 12 guage with slugs, .338 win mag, AR-15 with unlimited rounds, or a variety of handgun options.

Hey Brother,
I think your friend visited us the other night. The back gate was lifted off its hinges, still chained. Couldn't make out any tracks. Dogs have been going nuts the past few nights including the nights he was at your place. The horses haven't been making a ruckus like they usually do when there is a bear or kitty in the area? IMHO, first two shells 00 Buck, next three slugs, six and seven are buck. Thats how mine is stoked. Leave the rifles behind, I don't need any new air conditioning!

Norkal

"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]If you're gonna shoot a big bear with a shotgun, most likely all you're going to do is wound it badly. A bear with an 8" front track is a HUGE bear, so he likely weighs at least 400 pounds. I was once involved in killing a big bear up at Apple Hill, east of Placerville, that weighed 550 or so pounds when weighed on a truck scale. It's track was not 8" across the front pad. You're talking Alaskan Brown Bear size with a front pad that big. With that kind of size, hide/hair and all, a shotgun is not a good choice, and neither is an AR shooting 223. Of course, shooting a .338 in your neighborhood probably isn't real good either, unless you are 100% sure of where you're shooting. Remember that you can't legally discharge any firearm within a certain distance of houses (I think its 400 yards, but not positive) and that'll likely get you in more trouble than anything if your neighbors aren't 100% cool with you shooting it.

You could just put everything away and hope he moves on. Or, you can buy a bear tag and when the season gets close, start leaving a bowl of dog food out on the driveway for your dogs to eat :) That way, you can legally shoot him and keep him.

What kind of dog food. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

CAelknuts,

You are seriously mistaken about the 12ga not being enough medicine for bears. For many years the game wardens in Alaska carried 12ga pumps loaded with buck and slugs. I am not sure if this is currently the practice But it was in the 80's. I know that other agencies in AK have switched from the 12ga to the 45-70 Marlin lever gun loaded with Garret 540gr Hammerhead +P rounds. When I was a youngster I worked for Morrison Knudsen in the AK bush. I was hired for "security" and was attached to crews conducting oil exploration. The problem was not people. MK issued me two long-guns; a .458 and a 12ga. The 12ga loaded with buck and slugs is a devastating weapon at close range, which is where the vast majority of bear attacks occur.

Norkal

DJ, I just threw the "weapon" question out to see what kind of responses I'd get. Disappointed that they were all predictable. But mines loaded to your specs based on prior conversations we had, 2 00 followed by 2 1oz slugs. Not figuring to have to fight off a charging bear, just anchor one from an elevated position @ 15-20 (feet). 9 .32 calber round balls, travelling @ 1200 FPS, in the head might do the job. I was on my front deck and he was closer than the big oak tree. Low light conditions at 15 feet, the front bead of a shotgun just under the jaw line is pretty easy. Finding a vital spot through a 3-12 power scope@ 0300 hours ain't so easy. And you know I like easy, C+ work.

I was on another fire since last Sunday so I haven't been around but the wife said the dogs went off almost every night, could be deer. I've got pics of the bear track, and cool fire photos. As soon as I get them onto the computer, I'll upload them.

Elknuts, the .338 gets shot here every year. Fortunately I live in a small area of Kali where I can shoot clays all day long and nobody complains, sight my rifles in, etc. It is uncommon on a nice spring or fall saturday, NOT to hear one of the neighbors firng their handguns. You can tell which ones are Peace Officers by the size of their magazines, 10s versus 15-17s. Not that the other guys don't have larger mags, just that they don't advertise.

Starting in another few weeks, when the weather cools, you'll hear guys sighting in their high powered rifles almost every evening.

Hey Brother,
You won't be hearing any of mine after another 59 days if all goes well. We accepted an offer. Will be looking for a place to rent for a few months until Christmas break. The boys are deep into football and Sis made the volley ball team. I want to let them finish. Hopefully something we like will come available in the Sweet/Emmett/Horseshoe Bend area during the next few months. Anyhow, gonna be making a few trips moving things into storage up there in the next few weeks.

Norkal

Good luck to ya Norcal! I had to move back here a couple years ago from the Weiser - Cambridge area. Be happy to share some hunting info with ya.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-12 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]CAelknuts

The distance required to shoot a firearm near a inhabited building is 150 yards under the F&G code in CA. It only applies while hunting and does not apply when target shooting on your own property. At least this was the law when I retired in 2003.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-12 AT 06:13PM (MST)[p]DJ, I'm really happy for you. You need to stay in touch, and ask for help if you need anything. You guys got 2 diesels and only one flat bed, mine is availible.

And don't be like Pumpkinhead and fall off the end of the earth when you move to Idaho.

The shotgun with buck or slugs will do fine if the distance is kept short for the buckshot. I would use the mag 00 buck that has 12 pellets over the standard 9 pellets. If the distance gets pass 20 yards, slugs would be better.

As a LEO and firearms instructor I have fired many many rounds of #00 buck and most shotguns will allow the pattern to really open up after 20-25 yards and not do the damage a 10-15 yard shot will do.

Ph's in Africa use #00 buck to go into the brush after wounded lions or leopards, but they expect a charge and shoot at almost point blank range to stop the charge.

If you think the shot will be 20 yards or more, I would have the first two rounds being slugs and the remainder being #00 buck in the event the bear decides to see what your hide tastes like.

RELH

REHL, I agree with your thought process. Basically I believe my bear problem is behind me BUT my thought process is it'll be more like 20 feet than 20 yards, and won't happen unless absolutely necessary.

This bear, although big, still has fear and caution in his makeup. He didn't destroy the garage, he gently removed items that contained food and ate them 50-75 yards from the house. During my observations of him, he was extremely cautious.

"he was extremely cautious". Might be the reason he has lived long enought to be such a big brute. My hunting partner had a problem with a bear getting into his outside garbage can. He placed the plastic garbage can on a wood pallet with a alum. metal screen under the can and another metal screen on top of the plastic can. He connected the leads of a electric extension cord to both screens. when the bear came back and with his feet standing on the bottom screen, he touched the upper screen and got juiced with 110 volts. The bear sounded like a tank going the brush and never came back.

RELH

>"he was extremely cautious". Might
>be the reason he has
>lived long enought to be
>such a big brute.
>My hunting partner had a
>problem with a bear getting
>into his outside garbage can.
>He placed the plastic garbage
>can on a wood pallet
>with a alum. metal screen
>under the can and another
>metal screen on top of
>the plastic can. He connected
>the leads of a electric
>extension cord to both screens.
>when the bear came back
>and with his feet standing
>on the bottom screen, he
>touched the upper screen and
>got juiced with 110 volts.
>The bear sounded like a
>tank going the brush and
>never came back.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

Thats beautiful!!!!Thanks

NOW,the neighborhood dog has something to do this weekend!

Dont worry, its a rott.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom