Bear river early bull tag

hanes

I have drawn this tag that includes units 75, 77, and 78. Looking for any advice on areas to scout prior to the season. I spent last weekend in 78, but did not turn up any elk. Though the weather hampered my efforts.

I'm not surprised. I ride motorcycles in 78 regularly and have only seen elk twice in my life. That is a good unit, but the elk must like 75 and 77 more. If I knew where to go I'd tell ya. Sorry. Good luck.

Grizzly

I have mostly hunted 77 and 78. Usually every year there is a big bull taken by the Utah border because of their limited entry bull, or because there is enough people there that one of them will get lucky. I have taken 5 bulls in the last 20 years out of those units and every one of them has had a broadhead in it and/or a wound from a rifle. I usually archery hunt in other units, so when the freezer gets low (because I suck at archery hunting)I go there to rifle hunt and always get one. Interesting, I just figured my average elk harvest. Every 2.5 years and I have only run out of meat for one year out of the 20. There isn't really a ?hunny hole?. They do like to hang out in certain spots, but they are mostly on the move. They should be bugling when your hunt is on, if not, your chances of getting one with any size drastically nose dives. Keep your eyes open for mountain lions, I have come across their tracks many times and harvested one two years ago when it was munching down on a calf elk while the mother was freaking out. One more thing that might help, the 5 bulls that I harvested, none were over 100 yards. Most were 50 yards or closer in the trees. Good luck on your hunt!

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I thank you both for your reply's. It is certainly a large area with a lot of pretty country, but there are also more roads than I would prefer. I heard that with the pressure the area receives from late Aug archery through Dec muzzy that wounded animals is not completely uncommon. Unfortunately I expect that is the case in most ares.

I have also heard to maybe not get my hopes up for a bull much over 300. Being that I have never shot an elk score really does not matter as much as having a fun hunt and getting a respectable animal.

Lots of roads in 75. I think if you can find some places that are farther removed from roads there will be some animals.

I've hunted 77 and been in 78 a little. Honestly never seen many elk, and in total only maybe 3 or 4 bulls with the biggest being a 4x5. Its nice country but doesnt seem to have the numbers of elk. As mentioned above the Utah side across the border gets pounded by hunters for both deer and elk. Wish I could help more. Good luck!

Again I appreciate the continued responses and information shared. Sounds like maybe check the border areas and otherwise putting some miles on the boots elsewhere. Looking forward to several more weekends of scouting prior to the hunt.

If it were my tag I'd get some scouting in on the north end of the unit in an area that didn't have many roads. I have always thought that area could hold some elk.

Grizzly

Griz I think I know the exact area your talking about and agree. I know we're planning on looking in there for Moose.

Thanks guys. I think I will take at least one weekend to scout north. gknutson let me know if you would like to meet up and go look around one of these weekends.

I'd love to but I live 22 hours away. We would be up there twice but my buddy has a Colo. Tag so I'm helping him out and them he's helping me on the moose Hunt. I won't be in Idaho till the end of Oct.

Yeah that makes it a little hard gknutson, sounds like a busy fall. Again I would like to thank all those who have responded, either in post or in messaging. In all honesty it has been pleasantly surprising.

Thanks huntfishall1, that is good information. I was looking at that thread yesterday. Sounds like it would have made some sense to hunt the border hard in years past, but not so much anymore as was suggested by others.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom