Beaver Unit Deer Herd

I would have to agree with Bang. I am not sure the deer herd can survive another year of many hunters in the field, and it sounds like other units are looking and feeling the same way.

>I would have to agree with
>Bang. I am not
>sure the deer herd can
>survive another year of many
>hunters in the field, and
>it sounds like other units
>are looking and feeling the
>same way.

Tags are a cash cow for the state and that is how wildlife is managed in Utah. We should just be thankful that the state still allows us peasants to have a public draw for some tags. It won't be long before they are all auctioned off at banquets once they do the math$$.

Lots of hunters, low buck numbers and very few doe numbers. Places where bucks have been in the past I have not even seen deer in those areas.

>Lots of hunters, low buck numbers
>and very few doe numbers.
>Places where bucks have been
>in the past I have
>not even seen deer in
>those areas.

That's a hard pill to swallow. I hunt California and I sometimes go to places where black tails used to abound. I can visualize them in my mind but when I hunt it....nope, they're still gone. It's sad.

I think nearly every herd is suffering. The Boulder unit was very poor. Great habitat, tons of cattle, water everywhere, very few deer.
I've thought a lot about the solution for general season. One way to cut #'s in half immediately and not lose money (because we know they can't lose revenue).....double the cost for a tag and cut the tag #'s issued in half. You can only have a permit every other year. I would take that in a heartbeat. All things being equal you would also cut harvest in half. Sucks to think about it but I'll bet it would work.

Just about what I thought it would be. Low numbers of deer, but dwr telling everyone on media there are more deer than ever in Utah. Funny, the hunters seem the only ones that cannot find them. I do agree with falcon. It has come to the point for drastic cuts and closures .

Definitely down. Hunted the southern part of the unit. Saw fewer deer overall and far fewer bucks, especially mature bucks. It was very noticeable that this unit has declined quickly.

Layemdown

"Vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats!!"

Crazy thing- the buck to doe ratio has changed gears in the past few years. Say the goal is 20 does to 1 buck. 50 bucks in the unit drops down to 30 so lets get rid of 400 does to bring the ratio back in line. Never ending spiral. Quit killing Does. Even if we can't hunt them their still fun to see.

I've never hunted any of the units in Utah, I don't know if I've even driven through this one. But this is a common thread across the West.

Two things have changed since the big mule deer boom of 60's-70's. We have WAY more elk, and WAY WAY WAY more predators, big cats, and coyotes, and bears hammer the deer....The F&G departments know this, well at least Idaho F&G knows it. But they want hunters to control the predators numbers by hunting, will this work (I have my opinion). IMO if the world comes to an end there will be two animals that make it, mosquitos, and coyotes. I see more and more bears every year, tons of coyotes, with plenty of cats mixed in, you introduce a supreme hunter like a wolf, and the game populations change.

Just my 2 cents....

Just returned home from hunting 7 days on the beaver unit. It was one of the toughest rifle hunts I have been on in trying to find a shooter buck. We had three tags in camp and only one tag got filled. We honestly saw very few bucks(between the three of us 20-25 bucks) during those 7 days too. All of those bucks being 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 year olds. With the one we tagged out on being the exception. We also talked to some hunters that never saw any bucks at all during their time hunting there for the rifle hunt. The beaver unit is definitely in bad shape. 13,000+ deer....they're up in the night!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 09:36PM (MST)[p]What is it going to take for the fish and game to wake up and stop kidding themselves about the deer population?

We need to attend meetings and keep voicing our opinion in the RAC meetings. Call the wildlife board members. I also just got back from southern end of Beaver unit. Absolutely has been ruined. I think there are less deer than the endangered sage hen

>I've never hunted any of the
>units in Utah, I don't
>know if I've even driven
>through this one. But
>this is a common thread
>across the West.
>
>Two things have changed since the
>big mule deer boom of
>60's-70's. We have WAY
>more elk, and WAY WAY
>WAY more predators, big cats,
>and coyotes, and bears hammer
>the deer....The F&G departments know
>this, well at least Idaho
>F&G knows it. But
>they want hunters to control
>the predators numbers by hunting,
>will this work (I have
>my opinion). IMO if
>the world comes to an
>end there will be two
>animals that make it, mosquitos,
>and coyotes. I see more
>and more bears every year,
>tons of coyotes, with plenty
>of cats mixed in, you
>introduce a supreme hunter like
>a wolf, and the game
>populations change.
>
>Just my 2 cents....

"The supreme hunter" is ourselves and what we have allowed our sport and resource to become.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19 AT 01:17PM (MST)[p]https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/7118920191101110650.jpg

Just for fun, since the Beaver area will probably never see deer like this again. And the only reason the pic was taken was because the buck was frozen and stood upright to look like it was still alive. You can see a wire holding it up going across it's chest.

This is an example of what your area down there COULD offer, IMHO of course. 1939 or so.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19
>AT 01:17?PM (MST)

>
>
7118920191101110650.jpg

>
>Just for fun, since the Beaver
>area will probably never see
>deer like this again. And
>the only reason the pic
>was taken was because the
>buck was frozen and stood
>upright to look like it
>was still alive. You can
>see a wire holding it
>up going across it's chest.
>
>
>This is an example of what
>your area down there COULD
>offer, IMHO of course. 1939
>or so.

Ya!

That Pic Ain't From the 2019 PISSCUTTER Hunt!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom