Beetle cleaning places??

salsola

I'm looking for a place to take a deer head for cleaning with beetles. Prefer the SW corner of the state. Any suggestions?

Boiling down a head in the backyard is NOT an option this year.

thanks

Curious as to why boiling is not an option?

I put skull in large galvanized wash tub that fits on my BBQ grill. Dump in some Dawn dish soap & Arm & Hammer Laundry Soap (maybe 1-2 scoops). Simmer for 6-8 hours, dump the water and repeat until skull all clean and water is nearly clear and non-greasy.

There is almost no stink & I can have a skull clean in a day. You do need to have a place to dump the mess water, though. But could easily put in some sort of jug and empty in the desert.

I would think sending skull to a beetle place would be way more hassle than that?

Carl

The taxidermist on 4th next to Green Valley meats has beetles. Carl, I have an elk skull and a buffalo skull that is European and the beetle skull didn't crack and is much brighter, well worth it I think.

I didn't know anyone had bugs locally. I've mailed unskinned frozen antelope, deer, and buffalo heads to skulls unlimited in Oklahoma. They did a sweet job when I did it. Not too expensive when I went that way. About a month or two turn around time. They have directions on their website on how to pack. Perhaps other places that do mail order... Sounds crazy. Haha

I had one taxi do beetles and another do a low pressure wash. The wash is OK but beetles came out better in my opinion.

90461.jpg

20202.jpg

Thanks for the pics Bob!

Do you mind mentioning the taxidermist that had beetles? PM is fine if you'd rather not make it public.

I'd like to post a list of places with beetles so folks can reference it later on.

thanks

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-14 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]flymetyme,

I dropped off my deer head at Lasting Impressions Taxidermy this week. The number is (505) 401-5929.

As for pricing, you should probably just call because there are some options and variables that may affect the price. I'll say that the price was in-line with other places that were proposing to boil or pressure wash.

edited to add:

Here are two other options I found while looking (didn't contact them, don't know if they are still in business):

David Kramer in Rio Rancho-- 505-514-5403
Beetle and Bones Taxidermy, Datil -- 575-517-5304.

David Kramer is still in business and has done several items for me. He is a cool guy and does great work. He is also the cheapest I've seen in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho.

>David Kramer is still in business
>and has done several items
>for me. He is
>a cool guy and does
>great work. He is
>also the cheapest I've seen
>in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho.

Yup agreed! Good guy, good work and good price.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom