benchmade saddle mountain

maverick351

Anyone have any information on this knife? Ever use it? Give me some opinions on it. I like the looks and.the few reviews online but I'm hesitant at the price.

Maverick351

S30V stainless steel is a top line expensive knife steel. If Benchmade kept good quality control on their heat treating and got a true 59-60RC heat treatment, then that is great as 60RC is the best all around hardness for S30V steel. Most factories heat treat large batches of blades hanging from racks and all will not have the same hardness due to the difference in cooling process. S30V is air cooled from 1950 degrees. They also do not test each blade for hardness due to added labor cost.

Right now the best factory knife inhouse heat treating is done by Buck knives as they were smart enough to get Paul Bros to set up their heat treating facility. He is considered one of the best for heat treating and many custom knife makers, who do not do their own heat treating, use him.

The only thing I do not like about the knife you mentioned is the darn plastic or fiberglass G-10 handle scales, but some guys love that handle material. I will send you a private message.

RELH

Buck's heat treat is not any better or more consistent than Benchmade's. I have S30V knives by both companies and they have similar edge holding.

If you want perfect heat treating you will need to buy a custom made knife.

The Saddle mountain is available with G10 or wood handles.

Excellent knife

I would also recommend Bark River Knife and Tool, they run a bunch a specialty blade steels depending on what you want from the knife.
Their heat treat is very good for semi custom production.

To the two of you who have this knife how easy or difficult is it to sharpen and care for? Any downside or things you don't like about it?

When you get S30V steel at 60RC, a NOVICE is going to have a hard time sharpening it. If you use diamond stones and know how to keep a constant angle during the sharpening process, you will be able to sharpen it with very little problems. S30V has 4% VA. added to the steel to make it abrasive resistant. More so then other knife steels. This is the reason it is famous for extreme edge holding. It also makes it harder to sharpen it.

As for care, it is easy as it is a true stainless steel with 14% chrome added to the steel. Stainless steel is highly rust resistant depending on the amount of chrome in the mix, but it is NOT RUST PROOF. Where I have seen stainless steel knives ending up with rust problems on hunting knives, is where the knife was stored in the leather sheath for long periods, months, in a room that had high humidity as leather will absorb moisture from the air.

RELH

Maverick...save your time and buy one direct from RELH his work is very good and I have 2 of his knives as do alot of other MM members here. Here is the 1st one he made for me.

5270000_2545.jpg

4751000_2548.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I don't doubt his work. I know a good knife is worth it's weight in gold. My problem is I'm limited on funds and I've never spent over a $100 on a knife before. I guess it's new to me so I was wanting something I could see and hold in hand before laying down that much. I'm no knife expert by any means but I do know Iam rough on them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom