Best 1X scope

goforbroke

Looking and I can't find a 1x fixed power scope that you can dial. With new regulations I assume it will be a hot item. Anybody make one now? Anyone going to make one?

I likely won't even apply for a muzzleloader tag, but always fun to shot the gun and time to lose the 3x9 scope.

There Ain't A BEST 1X Power Scope Anywhere!

The GOODEST One I Was Able To Find Was The VORTEX CROSSFIRE!

There's One In The MM Classifieds Right Now That's Listed On E-Bay!

I Had No Trouble Selling A BRAND NEW One For 500.00!

STUPID CRAZY!

There Ain't A BEST 1X Power Scope Anywhere!

The GOODEST One I Was Able To Find Was The VORTEX CROSSFIRE!

There's One In The MM Classifieds Right Now That's Listed On E-Bay!

I Had No Trouble Selling A BRAND NEW One For 500.00!

STUPID CRAZY!
Bought one of those suckers for $40 about 8 years ago. Should have bought 10! Never really liked it and suspicious that it wasn’t holding zero. Certainly didn’t adjust correctly when sighting in. I’ll probably get a trijicon red dot, if I happen to draw a tag

Now that there's a market for them, a few manufacturers might start making them again. I liked the Hawke 1X. It was clearer, brighter, and lighter weight than the vortex crossfire. Now all Hawke makes is a 1x crossbow scope.

Bought one of those suckers for $40 about 8 years ago. Should have bought 10! Never really liked it and suspicious that it wasn’t holding zero. Certainly didn’t adjust correctly when sighting in. I’ll probably get a trijicon red dot, if I happen to draw a tag
Wise move. The entry level Vortex products should be avoided at all costs.

Check with Vintage Gun Scopes, of Corvallis MT. They have decent supplies of older scopes that are no longer made. Both the Weaver K1 1X and Burris 1X were good scopes. I liked the Vortex Crossfire because of the 24mm objective and getting a little more light

Is a 1x scope really as good for long range than a micrometer adjustable receiver sight like a Lyman 48 or Redfield 70? Sure, they are quicker for closer shots and old eyes in low light.

Service and parts will be an issue if your muzzleloader breaks one, even from a still in business company that discontinued them. They will probably have to replace it with their closest comparable model, a low power variable. I am wondering why they even allow scopes rather than ones that are only available on the second hand market. Just go to iron sights like most other states.

Service and parts will be an issue if your muzzleloader breaks one, even from a still in business company that discontinued them. They will probably have to replace it with their closest comparable model, a low power variable. I am wondering why they even allow scopes rather than ones that are only available on the second hand market. Just go to iron sights like most other states.

No one is forcing 1x.

It's an option, but buyer beware

Good points. I think the market will have a good 1x option by summer. Sadly, my muzzleloader doesn't have holes for iron sights. So cost of replacing a great shooting gun with load developed is too high. Easier for me to change to a 1x.

If you're having trouble finding a 1X scope look at the quality peeps out there. Lyman 57, Williams, NECG, and Talley are available - as are several others. Some are screw on and others fit Weaver or Ruger bases. If you go the red dot route, make sure to get a 1 or 2 MOA dot that doesn't totally cover the animal!!

Good points. I think the market will have a good 1x option by summer. Sadly, my muzzleloader doesn't have holes for iron sights. So cost of replacing a great shooting gun with load developed is too high. Easier for me to change to a 1x.
Why not have a smith drill/tap a hole for a front sight and slap a rail mounted peep on the rear?! Easy.

Finally, a reasonably priced 1x scope!

Screenshot_20231211-143912.png

Not sure I would trust a scope that is $35 regular price. Or is that a used scope?

Or maybe you are just kidding?

Last edited:
I had a TC Hunter Hawkin 1x scope and sold it dirt cheap just to get rid of it and it was actually a decent scope. I never realized a 1x scope makes things smaller than the naked eye sees. I used a peep and liked it WAY better than a 1x scope. Just my 2 cents!

My vortex 1.0 MOA red dot 1x scope does not reduce the animal in size. It seems 1:1 size wise.
Couple that with the fact that my vision causes me to see 2 front sights and they are both fuzzy. 1X works for me.

I wrote to Vortex a while ago and they said they're looking onto making a 1x. I asked about modifying a Ranger 1-4x scope so that it would be fixed at 1x and they said they can do that. The Ranger is basically the same as the old PST. It has a nice, fine reticle and good glass. I'm waiting to see exactly how the new law is worded to determine if modifying a 1-4x is going to be legal. All of the 1x scopes I've seen have reticles that are rather bulky. Red dots are okay but my eyes for some reason tend to blur the dot and the sight picture sucks.

I put the Vortex Venom red dot on mine today. Had it on my AR-10 for over a year and had great accuracy with it.

I am sure glad the long range scopes are gone. Wished they would have gone all of the way though. here is what you have now.
360_F_478516575_6gzyVIaj0kCbyyGx40YNFPOaJinqBmSO.jpg

Hey! I am not one one who has a CVA Paramount Pro V2 45 Caliber FDE/Greyboe Camo Cerakote Inline Bolt Action Muzzleloader with a BEST 1X SCOPE. :)

Found this one from vortex today. Wish it had a dial on top tube. I bet more are coming if this sells well.

Pretty sure that's the same one they used to sell. I bet they just ordered more from their manufacturer. The reticle subtends a whopping 2.5 MOA which makes it pretty crappy past 100 yards.

I bought one of these the other day. Figure I can make a custom drop turret for my gun for it if it seems to track well. It was on sale and I was kinda eyeing it anyway. One of the smaller MOA red dots out there which is huge for long range muzzys.

I bought one of these the other day. Figure I can make a custom drop turret for my gun for it if it seems to track well. It was on sale and I was kinda eyeing it anyway. One of the smaller MOA red dots out there which is huge for long range muzzys.
Love to see a pic once mounted. I like the dial also.

Seen a video from a sport show where Leupold will make a muzzy dial with yardage for that scope for $80.
Yeah I was snooping around on their site and you can have anything you want engraved on em. How much confidence I have in it tracking and returning to zero is the tough part for me. I’ve been burned by 2 different VX6’s and they’re a lot higher dollar then this thing. I’ll probably put it through the paces and see how it works.

Yeah I was snooping around on their site and you can have anything you want engraved on em. How much confidence I have in it tracking and returning to zero is the tough part for me. I’ve been burned by 2 different VX6’s and they’re a lot higher dollar then this thing. I’ll probably put it through the paces and see how it works.
I did buy one of the leupold, but without the BDC turret. Sight in and get as close as I can and know what the load does and adjust like always did before with a regular red dot or open sights.

Didn't want to adjust and worry about tracking and returning to zero.

Bought 3 of the Vortex Strick fire for 2 of the other muzzys and sees to be good scopes. will get out and shoot here shortly when it warms up and see how they work and what I like. For 200 yards and under, most things including open sights should be fine. With old eyes I can't focus on three things at once and a red dot is just there when I focus on the animal or target. One of these days I will check into lasik. Need to use my points in Colorado with a muzzy.

Can't you use rough body height (18" deer, 24"elk) to hold over on a big game animal out to hold over on reasonable muzzleloader range?

Can't you use rough body height (18" deer, 24"elk) to hold over on a big game animal out to hold over on reasonable muzzleloader range?
That’s a good question, I’ve heard people say this a lot since Muzzleloaders without magnification are good to 250–350 tops. I would argue the exact opposite point, having a clear sight picture at 200-300 yards with no magnification is the tough part, being able to use the back line and chest line of the animal to center the dot or crosshair mid body is absolutely critical in making that sight picture. That’s where being able to dial exact is so critical. More or less, you aren’t going to be able to see enough to know what 18” or 24” is to make that hold over work. I’ve been amazed at how well I can shoot my 1x muzzy and my iron sight muzzy with click adjust peep and front globe if the light is good and the sight picture is contrasting. Bull elk are easiest as they’re light colored. I’ve found that with the sun at my back a bull elk is a great target out to about 400 with my open sights, but if the sun is coming up behind him 150 tops. It’s all about the sight picture. Being able to center the sight or dot on him is critical though.

At 400 yards the front sight on my muzzleloader covers an entire elk from its nose to its a$$hole. lol
I agree, with my old sight set up 150 was a stretch. Look at getting a rear peep and a Lyman front globe. Then get the Lee Shaver inserts for the globe, there’s a super fine cfosshair in there that’s awesome as long as the light is good. Fairly inexpensive upgrade that’ll make you WAY better with iron sights and your muzzy.

I agree, with my old sight set up 150 was a stretch. Look at getting a rear peep and a Lyman front globe. Then get the Lee Shaver inserts for the globe, there’s a super fine cfosshair in there that’s awesome as long as the light is good. Fairly inexpensive upgrade that’ll make you WAY better with iron sights and your muzzy.

I saw that Williams sights for the muzzleloader also have a front globe and optional "crosshair insert". Is it similar to what you are talking about?

I saw that Williams sights for the muzzleloader also have a front globe and optional "crosshair insert". Is it similar to what you are talking about?
It is, that crosshair insert is quite a bit too thick IMO but it’s a similar idea. The Lee shaver is super thin like a wire. The beauty of the Williams is it’s a plug and play set up. The Lyman takes a little dinking around to get the right height ramp etc.

I tried that sight and was useless to me before sunup, at dusk, and in heavy shade. That is too much time during optimum hunting light for me, so I opted for smaller front fiberoptic sight and use the 6 oclock hold. With open sights of any kind, 99 out of 100 people shouldn't be shooting at game beyond 200 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom