Best and Worst Mountain House Meals

Lasagna
Rice & Chicken
Beef Stew

The Bacon & Eggs is a NO! They need to work on more breakfast options.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]Lasagna has nuclear cheese that will permanently attach to your spoon. No amount of cleaning will remove it in the field.

We tried the chicken and potatoes last weekend and it was surprisingly good.

My all time favorite is Chilli Mac.

Chicken and mashed potatoes and teriyaki chicken I liked but I was not impressed with the breakfast skillet. I agree they need to work on breakfast meals.

DO NOT BUY Mountain house Chili Mac! I'll spare you the details of the GI side effects

The Teriyaki Chicken and rice is pretty good.

MT_Grizz.jpg

I like the spaghetti with meat sauce, and mac and cheese.

I had the pasta primavera once, it was like playing Russian Roulette with my bowels, and I lost.

Dax

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 12:35?PM (MST)

Beef stroganoff

Chicken and rice I add some seasoning and crush red pepper.

Breakfast skillet is good but add salt and pepper! With tortillas its enough for 2 people or 1 hungry guy!

Beef stroganoff
Chili Mac with Beef
Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Macaroni & Cheese
Granola and Blueberries

Are the only ones I'll take, they all need Tabasco!

"Trust but verify"

"A gun is kind of like a parachute;
if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again"

#1 - breakfast skillet, like others said, needs tortillas, salt & pepper and we take taco time salsa packets too.
#2 - lasagna
#3 - turkey tetrazzini

Avoid sweet & sour anything

>Beef stroganoff
>Chili Mac with Beef
>Lasagna with Meat Sauce
>Macaroni & Cheese
>Granola and Blueberries
>
>Are the only ones I'll take,
>they all need Tabasco!
>
>
>
>"Trust but verify"
>
>"A gun is kind of like
>a parachute;
>if you need one and don't
>have one,
>you'll probably never need one again"
>

Yumm Tabasco with blueberries and granola!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 05:28PM (MST)[p]Best one: None of em!

Worst one: All of em!

A light, fast, something to choke down in the backcountry: Any of em! :)

Seriously, its all personal preference, as the responses here would indicate...try a few ahead of time and see what you find "tolerable"

**edit---I chuckled at the lasagna "nuclear cheese" comment, very true indeed...once it cools, that crap is bulletproof

>>Beef stroganoff
>>Chili Mac with Beef
>>Lasagna with Meat Sauce
>>Macaroni & Cheese
>>Granola and Blueberries
>>
>>Are the only ones I'll take,
>>they all need Tabasco!
>>
>>
>>
>>"Trust but verify"
>>
>>"A gun is kind of like
>>a parachute;
>>if you need one and don't
>>have one,
>>you'll probably never need one again"

>Yumm Tabasco with blueberries and granola!

31, you haven't tried it have ya??? Me either... :)
Maybe next week though...

My three favorites:

1) Sweet & Sour Pork w/ rice
2) Chili mac
3) Spaghetti w/ meat sauce

The scrambled eggs for breakfast aren't too bad, as long as you squeeze all the water out. But I've found that I don't like to eat them several days in a row. I just tried the new biscuits & gravy breakfast and really liked it. I'll definitely be buying more of those. Pre-cooked bacon (i.e. Oscar Meyer) also makes for a nice breakfast in the backcountry.

Liked spaghetti w/ meat sauce. .and chili-mac and ice cream sandwich and the neopaulaton (sp?) Ice cream. .
hated all the breakfast stuff..I couldn't put enough Tabasco on bacon and eggs!
Jester

They are all effective for a colon cleanse when you need to have a colonoscopy!!! I've tried a dozen or so with the same result... Colon blow! I will stick to jerky, protein/carb bars, and dried sausage/bucksticks for my back country trips...

I'l warn you to avoid Chili Mac unless you have an especially tolerant GI tract!

I like:

Chicken ala King

Beef Stroganoff

Chicken Breasts with Mashed Potatoes

Lasagna is ok

Beef Stew is ok

Noodles with Chicken is ok

Turkey Tetrazini is ok

I normally can't eat an entire 2-person meal. I usually split the meal in half before adding water, and save the other half in a sandwich bag for the next day.

+1 on the breakfast skillet,tortillas & salsa packets. There are some others such as barbeque beef wraps that go with tortillas as well that are pretty good. The 2 person servings are way too much and I wish they all came in the smaller 1 person serving.

3 or 4 days in they all taste like shyt and you long for a pizza and cold beer anyway.

They all cause gut bombs.

If I'm only going overnight, I don't even bother with them.

Not worth the horrible gas and stomach cramps.

>CHILI MAC WITH BEEF!!
>
>Hands down the best.......

That blood you were tracking was probably my stomach bile and MH Chili Mac!!!! :)

Back before I got my acid reflux under control, I ate one of those meals on a hunting trip, the results were best described as "volcanic acid from Hell"....whew.

I could eat them now with medication prior, but still prefer the chicken with rice varieties or the sweet & sour pork.

Was never real high on the bacon & eggs either.

The only one I eat anymore is Chicken and Rice. Everything else will destroy my insides.

Tried the Bacon and Eggs on a trip to climb Timp, didn't make it to the top that day. Colon Blow was an understatement.

I haven't been able to be in the same room with the Bacon and Eggs since without getting stomach cramps.

chili mac
turkey tetrazzini
beef stroganoff
chicken ala king

lasanga and spaghetti are good but leave your spoon all cheesed up in my experience. so i don't bother with those anymore. the less I have to clean the better.

also mac and cheese always seems like it would be tasty but the noodles are ALWAYS hard no matter how long you let it sit. So that one I'd stay away from.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom