BEST BANG?

blazingsaddle

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-13 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]I have the itch for a new rifle. I want it to be an upper end rifle, but not a full custom build. Spending the dough for a full custom is not justified in my eyes for my usage of the rifle.
The two calibers I'm pondering on are 7mm STW or .270 WSM.
I currently own 2 model 70s. Nothing wrong with them, its just that I have had them for 15 years now. They have kinda lost their WOW factor. Has much changed with the model 70s, as the EW SS is on my list?

Here are the few options/guns that have stayed on my list:

1) Sako 85 Finnlight (comes in .270 WSM)
2) Winchester model 70 extreme weather SS (comes in .270 WSM)
3) Forbes (if I can get a semi custom build in the caliber I want for not too much $) I like the 24B, but it only comes in 3 calibers right now.
4) Buy a Remington 700 SPS and re-barrel it (can find STWs and .270 WSM for around 550,+ re-barreling fee)

Anyone have any pros and cons about any of the above? I mainly bow hunt, so I'm pretty green when it comes to rifles. Any input or other routs to consider will help greatly. At the end of the day, I want a solid gun, with a good reputation, good trigger, and accuracy.

You gonna Chime in sage?

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

Might look at weatherby mk v in 30/378-- the accumark comes in ss, fluted barrel etc. factory ammo is a bit high$$, but a 180 gr. barnes bullet could kill anything you point it at.

I like the rifles choices that Weatherby offers, but I'm firm on the calibers I want. Weatherby, at least that I found, offers neither of the two.

I can't really give an opinion with the others but I've got a Win EW. I've not gotten to shoot it much as I had to send it back for some work (was having extraction problems). They took care of me quick and I recently got it back so I'll have to shoot it more.

I did switch the B&C stock for a McM edge but thats because I liked the feel in my hand much better. Lots of good things are being said about the EW. I think they are a good value, especially since I found mine on sale.

Better get one before they are stopped being assembled in the U.S. lol.

I have two 7mmstw's, both Winchesters, the heavy barrel shoots good, my lightweight will not print a group. I think it is because I put on a lightweight barrel and i'm getting some vibration. I have a 270 WSM and it's not the best shooter either, its a Winchester featherweight it may be the stock putting pressure on the barrel. STW is hard to get brass for, i but 8mm and re-size it. My favorite rifle right now is my Savage Long Range Hunter 300 win mag, tack driver, 3025fps with moly coated 180gr barnes TTS. I however am going back to my 25 caliber rifles they seem to kill better. Remington in now chambering a 257 Weatherby mag but I have not read a good review yet so I my go with Weatherby.

Hope this helps.

i shoot a tikka left handed in 270 wsm. and really like it. is shoots .52 inch groups with 140 accubonds and is only 7.5 lb with a 4-14 scope. i like my 257 weatherby vanguard moa but weights almost nine pounds and it's not left haned.

+1 on the Tikka 270 WSM.

I've got the same rifle but the righty version... It's an excellent rifle and shoots sub moa easily. I upgraded my stock to a BC medalist and it feels much better than the factory stock.

The sako tecomate come in 270 WSM and has the BC stock on it already. It also carries the MOA guarantee.

I was just looking at utahguns.com and there is a NIB rem 700 sps in 7STW for sale in Ogden. That might be a decent one to look at if you want to build on.

Thanks for the replys. One of my winchesters is a STW. That is the main reason I want another, it flat out rocks. Although brass is seasonal, its still not too difficult to find online, for now anyways. I thought hard about the 300 win mag, but really its over kill for manly deer and speed goats.

Thanks for the heads up waspocrew- I'll look at it right now.

Buy a Remington donor. Then, have a good smith barrel it with a good barrel of your choice, true the action, and bed it in a quality stock. Done. mtmuley

Everyone has heard the praises of Stainless... I hunt in Colorado at elevations between 7K and 13K in all weather conditions and I have several blued rifles and have no issues with that type finish.

IMO, I'd go for the production Weatherby Mk V (270 Wby Mag) or Sako Tecomate (270 WSM).

I have a Remington 700 SPS that I am in the process of working on. I believe it's under the second or third page under author shooter31 because I can't ever remember my log in. It currently sits on a BC varmint/tactical stock. I have the factory barrel on at the moment and have the action trued. The gun was a shooter out of the box and has just improved with each upgrade. I would assume it will be a better long range rifle once I upgrade the barrel. I have the SWFA fixed 16x scope on top right now. I picked the stock gun up for 350 and I'm into it about 1100 at the moment including the scope.

A weatherby mark v in 257 wby or 270 wby would be really close to the performance of the 270wsm and there would be no need for rebarreling. but if a custom suits ya then go for it. Weatherby's just happen to be my fave

There's a Sendero chambered in 7mm in the classifieds right now. They are kinda heavy for packing around, bur Mark V's aren't light either. Sendero rifles are known to be shooters. mtmuley

Those Sakos sure are fine rifles.... I just ordered a Sendero in 7RM the other day. Can't wait for it to be here next week!

I've seen Senderos in 7 STW on Gunbroker.com plenty of times. They're a tad on the heavy side, but they have a great reputation for shooting extremely well.

Thanks for all the input- Seems Weatherbys are very nice and popular, but too heavy for what I want.

I can't seem to make my mind up on which way to go. A semi-build would be fun, but buying a known shooter off the shelf will be much easier. And truthfully I don't need a 1,000 yard gun for what I do. Most any rifle will be accurate enough. Decisions, decisions........

I've got a few rifles in 270wsm and the Winchester Extreme Weather is by far my favorite. Had a couple of the EW in different calibers and they have all been good shooters but the 270wsm is a consistent 1/2 moa gun. I also think it feels great and it is easy to pack all day. Have never owned a Finnlight, but have always thought it was an extremely well made rifle when handling them at the store. Don't think you could go wrong with either rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom