Best Blacktail Hunt if 0 points?

Outdoors

Looking for a fun blacktail hunt for 2011. Not looking for monster but would like to see lots of deer and some mature, representative bucks.

I shoot a bow or rifle. Have hunted with a muzzie but Oregon's regs on muzzie limit my excitement there.

Suggestions?

Almost all of Oregon's blacktail hunting is done by over the counter general season tags. Only draw I can think of is the extra Willamette deer tag, and an Applegate muzzleloader tag. Both tags usually take more than one point.

Best Blacktail "muzzie" hunt is the applegate draw unit by far. I have not drawn yet, but went on a junior hunt and live just acrossed the border. There are ausome bucks there, but the non-res draw is very tough. I tried a few years back with like 4 points and did not draw.

I used up my deer points this year so the OTC looks like what will do in 2011 and 2012. I will use up my pronghorn points in 2011 on archery, then use my elk points in 2012 and then am done with applying in Oregon.

Used to be an Oregon resident but now am out of state so is expensive to build points now and not many draw tags for non-residents.

OTC is possible for blacktail and I think some decent Roosevelt tags are OTC as well. But, for most part will be done hunting in Oregon.

OTC is your best bet. They have 2 awesome rifle hunts during the rut. Limited tags. Hood unit and Whitehorse.

Back
Top Bottom