Best deer/elk gun for a 12 year old

sniper14

My oldest hunts for the first time this year giving me an excuse to purchase a new gun. Just wondering what you think the best gun would be for him to use that won't cause him to be gun shy due to the kick but will still have the power to take big game like deer and elk. Thanks in advance

Start him on small stuff right away if he hasn't been shooting much and work him on up to something like a 7mm 08, .270, or a 30-06 with reduced loads and work him on up to loads that are sufficient for elk. Two big things that have been mentioned before on threads like this are to make sure the rifle fits him properly, that he may require a good recoil pad, and that good hearing protection is always used. The latter can cause flinching as bad or worse that recoil.

Topgun's advice is about as good as you can ask for. I might not go with a 30-06 for a 12 year old, but a 270 or 7mm-08 would be outstanding. If you were to go 30 caliber, think about a 308 maybe before a 30-06.

I hope that helps. Good advice Topgun.

I bought my 12 year old son who weights 65 lbs a weatherby backcountry in .257 wby. Had the accubrake put on on it and he shoots its well with two nice mule deer to show for it.

Savage Weather Warrior, 7mm-08!!!!!

Bought one for my 120 lb wife. Recoil is not a problem and the best trigger (accutrigger) i own in 12 plus rifles.

She dropped a bull in his tracks in "10"

I started both of my boys with an 30/06. One of them is 20 now and still doesn't weigh over 165lbs. He did just fine and was shooting a 300 win mag by 15. You said deer and ELK. Yea I know they can be taken with smaller calibers but IMO 30/06 is where I would start.

-John Wayne

When I went through this with my Daughter I took an old 270 I had and worked up a 130 gr Hornady at 2750 fps. The recoil was mild and she was able to shoot it very well. The rifle is a Stevens 110 E with an old weaver K6.

Bull11.jpg

When My son was walking in those shoes he was much bigger. I still had him use a 270. This one was my pre 64 270 with 140 gr Hornady at 3000 fps. He didn't start out with that load he was worked up gradually to the higher level.

jacobronelk35.jpg

The important thing about starting kids is doing it right. So many people just hand them the gun and say shoot it. They don't teach trigger control and breathing. A lot of times shooting in different positions is never taught. Good luck and I hope you both have a great year. Ron

Both my wife and daughter shoot a 300 short mag with a brake, and my other daughter shoots a 7mm short mag with a brake. All do fine and love their guns. Put a good pad and a brake and it tames them down. IMO a 30-06 is one of the hardest kicking guns out there :)

I purchased a Browning X-bolt 7mm-08 last year for my 12 year old boy to hunt with. I would highly recommend both the 7mm-08 and the Browning X-bolt to anyone wanting to shoot critters up to elk size.

400bull

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]Catman stated: "IMO a 30-06 is one of the hardest kicking guns out there"

Ya big puddycat you, LOL!!!

I would start my 12 year old ( if I had one ) with a 243. and work up from there as he got older.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]I'll also cast my vote for a 260 Rem, 7mm-08 or a .270 Win. Something in that class should work well for years and years.

Start with light for caliber bullets and minimun powder loads, if you reload. If reloading isn't an option then buy light bullets.

You might also think about getting a rifle with some heft. The light weight rifles will recoil quite a bit more.

USE GOOD HEARING PROTECTION since the sound causes the flinch reflex as much as actual recoil.

Zeke

PS: I started my youngest daughter with a .308 win and it kicked a ton. I then moved her to a 300wsm but the rifle had some weight. I used a minimun powder charge and 130 TSX bullets and the recoil is way less than the light .308.

7mm-08 or a 7x57 mauser are both great. I actually prefer the 7x57 mauser, it gives a little more velocity for the larger bullets you would want to use on an elk. I personally killed 5 elk with my 7 mauser and my brother has taken 3 with his 7mm-08, so either one is a great gun.

I had my boy in a 243 for only one year, then went to a 3006 model 70 feather weight with a muzzy break. The 243 had more kick than the 06.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 11:39AM (MST)[p]7mm-08. My two oldest sons used these as the first rifles they owned. The oldest boy had an old Remington 788 and the other a Remington Model 7. My oldest son developed a flinch when I let him use a 30-06 I had. The switch to the 7mm-08 got rid of that. Now they are in their mid 30's and use large caliber rifles and bows but the middle son still has his Model 7.

They have been shooting a 22 etc for years right? Whatever you pick for hunting they need several hundred rounds through it before hunting. imo it would be hard to beat a 7mm-08.

You can't go wrong with either the 270 or the 30-06. Remington makes a "reduced load" that works great. I have reduced loads for both of these rifles and youngsters use them for a "father/kid" hunting weekend we hold each year. Works great. They both kick about like a 243 are are great for deer up to 200 yards.

The SIMS recoil pad also works great! I have one on several of my guns cause I don't like recoil either!

If I were a twelve year old, I would probably wish for a 270.....

As far as a particular caliber kicking more than others, I would have to say it is more a function of the weight of the gun and how the stock is built rather than caliber.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]Txhunter, those are good points, about the weight and stock design. When my own son was 12, he started out shooting my .264. It was a model 70 westerner with 26" bbl, so a heavy rifle to begin with. I'd re-stocked it with a Brown Precision stock with a nice soft Pachmayer decellerator pad, and that gun barely kicks at all. As a 12 year old, he shot 2 bucks with it and still loves that gun. He won a rem700 in 270 at a FNAWS convention in Reno, so that's the rifle he mostly hunts with the last 8 or 9 years.

I'm not trying to pick an arguement with those who advocate heavy magnums, as I personally shoot a 338 for most of my own rifle hunting, but when the subject is a 12 year old, I fail to see the logic. A 270 is plenty of gun, even for elk. Between my son and I, we've shot a 270 to take a couple greater kudu, a burchells zebra, sable, several mature bull elk, a big Alaskan moose, several caribou, as well as plenty of smaller animals, and nearly every single one has been a one or two shot kill. Quality bullets in a 270, shot at reasonable ranges, are far more important than shooting a big magnum. Even though I hunt mostly with a 338, I often wonder why I don't use my 270 a lot more. When choosing a light rifle, I normally go with my 264, though a 270 is every bit as good out to 350 yards, IMO. A 270 of about 7 1/2-8 pounds, with scope and fully loaded, and with a good recoil pad, is a very easy rifle to shoot, and very effective at killing just about anything.

I got a 6mm for my daughter ,just a hot 243. It's ok for deer but a little light for elk. After she lost her first cow. Hit it in the front shoulder. I bought her a 270 . Much better for deer and elk .

It does vary from kid to kid. My kids at that age (none of them very large), given the choice between the .243, .270, and .06, gravitated to the .06. They just liked the way it shot. Plenty of elk have been killed with any number of calibers, though I wouldn't advocate some that others will. A good recoil pad makes a difference. Regardless of what you go with teach him to snug it in good and tight--it makes a huge difference!

I started my son out on a sweet shooting 257 Roberts when he was 11. He shot several deer and antelope before he has moved up to bigger rigs. He now shoots way better than the old man but I think you are wise to be sure he is comfortable with whatever he shoots.
Occasionally put a dead round in, without him knowing, and check to see if he is flinching. I think that is a clear sign that the rig is too big if he does.
As was previously mentioned, every kid that age is not the same size, or recoil tolerant, so if you can, you might borrow a smaller gun from a friend and try it out, before you buy one. I would be glad to lend someone a gun for that purpose.

Good luck! Hunting with my son is absolutely my favorite pastime!!

Sniper

this last fall was my daughter's first year so I got her a Remington youth in the 7mm-08. I had a muzzle break done, put a Sims pad and a decelerator on the barrel. I worked up a great little 140 grs. barnes for it and got it shooting right at an inch. She loved shooting it and is a light little gun that didnt break the bank. I plan on getting a different set up for her down the road but believe I will keep this gun. I was able to draw a tag on a bull hunt on my 26th try with her so was able to fulfill two dreams in one hunt! Have a great hunt this fall!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom