Best Elk rifle for under $1k

Dude: I really like the Tikka T3. We purchased one for our Grandson. Seems well made and I love the Sako smooth action. Shooter too. But the down side is it has a heavy recoil because it is so light weight. Even in a 270win caliber. We had to ditch the factory recoiled pad which is no more than a piece of solid hard rubber. Guess they did the cheap pad to keep the price down. We had a KDF muzzle brake installed and now it has the recoil of a 20ga shotgun. Then we added a Harris bi-pod. Just the add on's cost me an extra $500. It was worth it because our Grandson at 12yrs is a little guy, small framed and needs a light rifle and some help to hold it up.

If you don't do the upgrades knowing what I do now. I would go with something else in your price range. So I guess I'm saying I like the rifle, happy with it , but if you can't use it just adding a better recoil pad. Find something else.

Some hardcore guys say it won't last but he only shoots it during hunting season. We don't go to the range and poar 1000 rounds a year throught our rifles. So it will last him forever.
))))------->

Just got this Tikka t3 compact in 7mm-08 for my wife and kids to use. Rifle,scope, rings and gun sling all around $800.
2120image.jpg

I was also looking at a Tikka however I was looking for something bigger like 7mm or 300
My oldest is 18 and weighs 165lbs

I just got a Tikka super light in a 7 mm. mag. Its a nail driver, i just put a limb saver on it, and went hunting, At the range use a lead sled,, in the field just shoot it , i never feel a thing, At 7 lbs. its so light and quick , Best field gun for the money!!

Weatherby Vangaurd vs2 in a 300 win mag similar to the gun in the pic less the scope.

1533vanguard.jpg

Topped with a 4-12x40 Leupold vx1
311731-30-1100x500.jpg

You should have enough left for a set of leupold scope rings and scope base and a claw rifle sling...

Dam fine setup and a lifetime gun.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-14 AT 09:20PM (MST)[p] TIKKA T3 FOR ME ALSO IN THE .300 WSM.......NICE RIFLE, ACCURATE AS HELL. I MAINLY HUNT ELK & HOGS...............YD.

>Al, what is the difference between
>the vanguard vs2 and the
>just the vanguard ?

The vs1 had a black stock with a bulkier feel, a single stage trigger, and a 2 position safety. In the vs2 the stock was refined by being slimmed down a bit with grips added as you can see in the pics, 3 position saftey so the gun can be unloaded with the safety still engaged, and a 2 stage adjustable trigger set at 2.5 lbs from the factory which is extrememly nice for a factory production trigger. Finally the gun has a garrantee to shoot less than 1 inch groups out of the box without any modifications.

saddling up anyway."

AL. I have a vanguard that I bought 3 years ago in a 300 win mag . I put a Nikon monarch 3x9x50 scope on it and I cannot get it to shoot even 3" groups at 100 yd. I'm shooting Barnes triple shox . If I could get that gun to shoot more dependable I'd give it to my son.

>AL. I have a vanguard that
>I bought 3 years ago
>in a 300 win mag
>. I put a Nikon
>monarch 3x9x50 scope on it
>and I cannot get it
>to shoot even 3" groups
>at 100 yd. I'm shooting
>Barnes triple shox . If
>I could get that gun
>to shoot more dependable I'd
>give it to my son.
>

Ever try different bullets? Also was this a vanguard vs2 bought new 3 years ago? If you bought this new, weatherby has a garrantee of 1 inch groups at 100 yards. The older version vs1 has a garrantee of 1.5 inch groups or less. Ever have this firearm checked out? Any modification made to the rifle you mention?

saddling up anyway."

I almost bought a Tikka once but I could not get over the magazine. Just me but it didn't feel right.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

AL , it is the original vanguard and yes it came with a target showing were it was factory fired and a warantee but that gaurantee is only if your using weatherby factory ammo.
No modifications done to gun other than scope .
I want to try other ammo next . What would you suggest?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the newer TC rifles such as the venture?
Or the new ruger american rifles? Or the browning X bolt ?

FEDERAL VITAL SHOCK........WITH YOUR CHOICE OF A VARIETY OF BULLETS AVAILABLE. THEY ARE LOADED ON THE WARM SIDE, AS THE RECOIL WILL SHOW YOU. AFTER RELOADING FOR 26 YEARS, I FOUND A WINNER I CAN BUY ANYWHERE.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YD.

I think YukonDall's federal recommendation is solid. We first started with hornady and had groups less of than an inch.

Just another thought. If you are shooting barnes, have you cleaned the copper from your barrel? My 7mag likes barnes but after about 15 to 18 roads the grouping grows and I have to clean the copper fouling. After the cleaning she shoots like a dream again.

I have handled the TC and Ruger. Neither rifle felt good in my hands as they felt rather chinsy. The bolt cycling on the TC was oddly loose and hung up while the Ruger magazine wasn't easy to take out and install. They may have remedied this by now as we looked these over 2 years ago. No idea how well they shoot.

The Howa 1500 is another strong rifle. Based similar as the Weatherby vs2 which might be of interest?

I did what you are doing now twice in the past 5 years for both my boys who were 17 at the time. I ended up figuring out my price range with 3-4 various rifle makers of the same caliber, took them to the gun shop and had the salesperson lay out all the rifles. I let the boys handle each and we went over the specifics of each letting them ultimatley make the final choice. During this same time we also explored many other rifles from high end to the cheapest on the shelf. This really shed some light on the differences of quality. Ultimately my young men choose the Howa 1500 and the Vangaurd vs2. Was a wonderful experience seeing them smile and get serious about their choices.

saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-14 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]I have 2 Browning X-Bolts and both are very accurate. I've also had a number of A-Bolts with the same experience. I can heartily recommend the X-Bolt if you are wanting a new rifle.

I would buy some Wipe Out and get that Vanguard clean, then start trying different ammo 'til you find one the rifle likes. I find it doubtful you won't be able to get that Vanguard to shoot well enough for hunting.

I have always found a Hornady load for every rifle I own that it would like. I have recently started using HSM ammo with Berger VLD bullets and had outstanding accuracy with the wife's .270 and my 7MM Remington Magnum.

Link to Wipe Out: http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/prod...jqni0OIF2RTP8lQnfTiH_coX2iFY0HutjhBoCkCrw_wcB

My advice is to shop for a higher quality used rifle, rather than a lower quality new one.

My Vanguard shoots sub MOA. It likes a certain ammo (winchester silvertip factory), but it shoots other ammo good as well. Best 3 shot group were all touching each other at 100 yards. 2" high and centered over the bullseye. I would try some weatherby ammo, and send that one back if not shooting good. IMO

www.hunthardcore.com

I'd go with a Stainless Vanguard!

Then Spend the Rest on a Silver Leupold!

JUDAS!

Don't put a Black Scope on a Silver Gun!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Nobody can tell you what the "best" elk rifle is. Let the kid handle them all. He'll tell you what he likes. And whatever you do, don't put a stainless scope on it. mtmuley

Hey mt?

You Wouldn't put a Black Boy on your White Wife Would you?

>Nobody can tell you what the
>"best" elk rifle is. Let
>the kid handle them all.
>He'll tell you what he
>likes. And whatever you do,
>don't put a stainless scope
>on it. mtmuley

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

How about a Remington Model 700 ADL with synthetic stock in .30-06 with a Leupold VariX III 3.5-10X duplex reticle scope? If that doesn't stay under the $1K limit, find a less expensive scope.

He has a old Remington 30-06 with a Leopoldo 3-9 on it now . The gun is about 40 years old and it miss fired 3 times in a row this year after he made a first shot on his first bull and we ended up losing the bull . He is devastated and I want to get him a new gun to help boost his confidence and moral. Not sure if it was the gun or the ammo but I'm redoing everything .

I would also have to vote for the Tikka. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm shoots 1/2" groups with the berger 185gr hunting VLD at 3000fps. It is topped with a Vortex 6.5 x 20 x 50. I did replace the stock with a bell and Carlson ( as the factory stock has an aluminum recoil lug that will bend) also bedded the action and set the trigger at 2.5lbs. Awesome gun.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-14 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]>He has a old Remington 30-06
>with a Leopoldo 3-9 on
>it now . The gun
>is about 40 years old
>and it miss fired 3
>times in a row this
>year after he made a
>first shot on his first
>bull and we ended up
>losing the bull . He
>is devastated and I want
>to get him a new
>gun to help boost his
>confidence and moral. Not sure
>if it was the gun
>or the ammo but I'm
>redoing everything .
Drop a Timney 510 in it and put some Fed. Vital Shocks or Nosler thru it.Something is wrong if an older 700 06 will not work.
But that is the exact gun you should find for him for elk,deer,etc. IMHO
Or an older Weatherby.....

I'll put in a plug for the Ruger American. I haven't been much of a Ruger fan for a long time because all of the ones I've shot were quite inaccurate and had awful triggers. They have solved their accuracy problems with the American though, and I am extremely impressed with this rifle. There isn't anything very pretty or swanky on it, but it is a very accurate, functional, durable rifle. I recommend it to as many people as ask me because it is really a lot of gun for a couple hundred bucks. If you are wanting a smooth, slick, more-elegant gun, I would go with the Vanguard or the Tikka, but if you want to get a lot of gun for the money and still have lots left over for a good scope and a box or two of ammo, I'd go with the Ruger. It's nothing fancy, but they shoot well. I think you would be happy with it for the money. I'm more the type of person that likes function over form (I've hunted with finely-checkered, walnut-stocked rifles, and I dislike having to baby my rifle when I'm in the great outdoors). The Ruger American gives you a lot of function for less than $400. I wish they offered it in more calibers though.

I have the Sako A7 in 7mm. It is very similar to the Tikka. I has a very smooth action, shoots great groups also, I liked how it felt in my hands just a little better than the Tikka. Last I checked the A7 is only about $100 more than the Tikka. Both are great guns!!

How would you guys say the remington model 700 stacks up to the Tikka? Im leaning towards the tikka because it's lighter

also when you guys mention shooting 1" quarter size groups at 100 yards, are you guys shooting ona bench with a sled or a gun vice or on a bench with sand bags or a simple rest? Just curious.

On a bench with a simple rest. Here's a picture of my wife with her Browning A-Bolt in .270. She can ring the 12" gong at 600 yards every shot when there is no wind.

6482bonny_at_the_range.jpg

Another vote here for the Tikka t3. Mine is in 270 call shooting 140 grain interlock bullets and it flat out drives tacks. I have used 5 different brands of factory ammo through and all were under 1 inch groups with 3 making clover leafs on the bench with out a sled. The handle well are light and will probably be the
sat gun type I will ever buy!

I would put a muzzle "brake" on it if I were you!
They run about $175-200 depending on who does it.
Zeke

What scope mounts would you guys suggest for the tikka? We are used to the one piece plate mount base but I don't think you can use those on the tikka?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom