Best Hunting GPS app

northface

With my smartphone and Goal Zero setup I'm looking to lighten my load even more. Does anyone have a favorite gps app? Preferably one that allows functionality when not connected to data because I'm backcountry hunting primarily.

Backcountry Navigator-Android not iPhone. works great. I have been using it on my back country hunts for a couple years and it has saved my butt. You download the map of the area where you will be to your phone, put the phone in airplane mode and turn the GPS on. All the features of a GPS for a lot cheaper. (If you already have a smart phone.) You can download hunt area map overlays for several states as well as private, blm, forest overlays.

[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake

Rambo-

Does that app not work on the iPhone or have you just not tried it? I am looking for something similar that works with my iPhone 6. Thanks.

Hawkeye

>Rambo-
>
>Does that app not work on
>the iPhone or have you
>just not tried it?
>I am looking for something
>similar that works with my
>iPhone 6. Thanks.
>
>Hawkeye

I have never owned Iphone. If it is available for
Iphones it may work great. I have only used it on Android and it has been a great tool.

[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake

+1 for Backcountry Navigator Pro! Does everything you would need it to. Last I checked it was not available for iOS.

2a0fcsk.gif

Thanks for the tips.

Don't want to ditch a GPS just yet. With the high def screens smart phones have it makes maps easier to see and pick out more details. Weighing options really.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-15 AT 09:13AM (MST)[p]

This is from their website:

"With BackCountry Navigator, your Android phone becomes a complete outdoor topo mapping GPS device. It works without network coverage or data connection. A user only need to pre-download their topo map and it can be viewed offline in the forest and wilderness areas where there is no network connection."

So, the only function of this is to download maps ahead of time so you can view them in the field? Can you do actual GPS location and navigation functions without data connection? If not, I don't see the advantage or ever being able to stop bringing my GPS.

And as far as maps go, my brain can't wrap around maps that small much anyway. I order custom maps from http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm?pid=monstermuleys (waterproof and folded) that are light and don't take up much room in a backpack and gives you a map that you can really see.

Or am I missing/missunderstanding something? When it comes to what a smartphone can actually do, I am not up to speed. I talk and text on it and that is about all.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

From more research, it appears that smartphones do indeed work as a GPS satellite receiver without any data/cell tower connection. If that is true, what is the accuracy of them in relation to a good real GPS unit?

txhunter58

How about the accuracy? Is it comparable to a Garmin Or other modern gps?

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

in my experience the iPhone gps. It is absolutely as accurate as any other GPS unit.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-15 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]I still can't see it being that useful off grid because you have to have airplane mode Off for GPS to work, which means it is searching for a tower and using up battery. Turning my iphone on and off constantly in the back country is not my idea of much help. If it would work in airplane mode, that would be different.

txhunter58

I don't know why you think the GPS doesn't work with airplane mode on, they work great. If yours doesn't work there must be something wrong with your phone.

As far as accuracy I think the Garmins and the newer cell phones are using the same technology. Both should be +/- 10 feet. Could be 25 feet with bad reception.

Cell phones will do about anything a Garmin will do and do most of it better.

The cell phone has a larger screen, higher definition screen and it's smaller and lighter.

About the only advantage to a Garmin is that you can change batteries and it's probably easier to use. But it's only easier to use because it doesn't do as much. To start out with Garmin you will have one map set on a chip and with Backcountry Navigator you will have to choose from 20 or more US map sets (some free and some you would have to pay for).

I have been using Backcountry Navigator with one of the free maps and it works great. And it only costs $10. But I'm not sure it's available for Iphone. But there are other apps for Iphones that are $10 or less and will work.

Another app that a lot of people like is the Onxmaps because it has the landowner information. It's $29.99 per year per state. Last fall they were giving a free subscription with your RMEF renewal. I got one of theses but haven't tried it. I don't think that's still available.

We used google earth quite a bit. It does work in airplane mode. have to make sure maps are cached, but found it helpful to have satellite imagery. This was on a river float moose hunt, so seeing oxbows and lakes/swamps off the river was huge

I would like to use huntgpsmaps app, but haven't done it yet.

Trimble Outdoor Navigator. Works great without cell connection. Accuracy is every bit as good as my Garmin GPS (which I haven't used in a couple years now--why pack the weight?).

Basic app is free, as are the maps. If you want private land overlay and the ability to plan and build trips on your computer before the trip, it will cost a $3 per month subscription. That also gets you Doppler radar overlay if you have cell service.

Great thing about Trimble is you can record your entire trip on one device. You can mark locations with pictures, video, audio and waypoints. You can upload and share your trips online (or not!).

Works on iOS or Android.

As for battery, it depends on the detail you want. If you don't want too much detail, put the phone on airplane mode and switch to cell when you want to record a location. My iPhone 6 will last 4+ days on airplane mode. I like lots of detail and add tons of pictures to mark locations, so I have a GoalZero solar panel and battery pack, which keeps everything charged(along with other's phones). I know it adds weight, but not a ton more than a GPS and it is worth it to me to have a detailed, multimedia record of my hunts/trips.

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

OnXmaps is a very good app. Great imagery, and private land ownership information. I use it for more than just hunting.

WYmoose

A question about the onXmaps. What happens when the subscription expires? Can you continue to use the maps you have already saved or does everything stop working.

Great question WVHUNTER,
when your subscription expires you will no longer have access to your cached maps. Just renew your subscription and you will be able to have access to your data again. Let me know if this answers your question, if you have more you can email us at [email protected] or give us a call at 406-540-1602.

Gaia GPS App. Works great on my iphone 6. Been using it for 3 years. Never failed me. It has a ton of different maps you can download for free for the area you are going to be in(Google satelite, google terrain, public/private land, road maps, etc etc). It does not work in airplane mode. Airplane mode, at least on iphones turns all cell, wifi, and gps functions off. But in the new iphone operating system its takes literally about .25 of a second to turn airplane mode on or off. I don't use a GPS any more, just my phone and this app.

After you learn how to download maps/areas, it is super easy and fast.

I need to correct my previous post. I have a Samsung S4. When you put it in Airplane Mode the GPS continues to work and it turns off the calling, messaging, data , Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. But you can turn the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth back on manually and they will work.

Apparently the Iphones are different.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-15 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]First post here.

A huge plus 1 on Backcountry Navigator. My Garmin now collects dust. Backcountry has tons of features that a normal GPS has and more. You can download satellite images and topo maps of your hunting area ahead of time and use it in airplane mode when in the field.

For $20, I bought the paid app ($10) and then paid another $10 for the land status boundries for AZ. There are no subscription fees. Plus one of coolest things is that there is basically topo maps of the whole world for free to download. You can download a topo of your entire state in a relativly small file. With AZ, it also comes with NM. Under the pre-loaded map layer are the instructions on how to do it. The pre-loaded state maps are very accurate with all the backcounty roads and water sources. The only negative of the preloaded maps in the contour lines are at 60 meters.

Backcountry has tons of maps available. It has topos, satellite iamages, combinations of the two, road maps, and water way maps.

Here is the link to the free world wide maps. The maps are compatible with several different GPS phone apps.

http://www.openandromaps.org/en/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom