Best Low Budget Rifle

What would it be used for. I have a picked up a savage fv 6.5 cm for my grandson practice long range with me, $300ish. It shoots as well as my 111 longrange hunter in 6.5X284, thats seen some work done to it both shoot well under 1/2 NOA. I also have a ruger american in 243 that shoots about 1/2 MOA with an afternarket bedded stock, its in the $500 Range. Iv got my dads old BDL 30.06 and on a good day it 1 MOA.

For a new rifle under $400 and can usually be found around $300, my top picks are the Mossberg Patriot and the T/C Compass. Normally I'm not a Mossberg fan but picked one up last fall for $219 new. I much prefer it to the Ruger American I had. The Ruger had problems even though it was accurate. The Mossberg is very accurate and I was quite surprised with it overall. I haven't owned a Compass yet but it will be the next one I try. It gets good reviews and has something that I really like which is a three position safety with a locking bolt. It also has a threaded barrel if that matters to you.

For a little bigger budget I like the Howa 1500. The Tikka is a nice rifle but the prices have creeped up the last several years since they have gained a reputation for accuracy and value.

I am a big fan of the Weatherby Vanguard for about $500+ range because of all the options, or if you refuse to buy a Weatherby, then the Howa 1500 :)

My wife?s 6.5 ruger American will shoot groups off a bench that could match most custom built rifles, using factory ammo. That thing shoots lights out and it's the cheapest rifle I own

Another Vote for the Weatherby Vanguard!

It's not the Cheapest in Price Nor Quality!

But Damn Reasonable!

Tack Drivers!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Weatherby Vangaurd gets another vote from me , I've had several over the years. Don?t have that ?cheap junk? feel like the others mentioned above !

I do like the Weatherby Vangaurd, but I have not seen any rifle shoot as well as the 6.5 man bun gun by Ruger American Predator. 360. 00 at Walmart.

The Weatherby Vanguard and the Howa 1500 are basically the same rifle, same action, built in the same factory, with only a few minor differences between the two. Previously the S&W 1500 and Mossberg 1500 were earlier versions of the Howa 1500.

Pleased with my Ruger American in .30 06. Very light and accurate. Only problem i ve had is with sticky rotary magazine in cold temps. Prob too much heavy lube.

thanks for the responses. looking for something for my daughter that's lightweight. probably a 30-06, 308, that we can use for elk but not big kick. ive always been a Remington guy. don't know anything about the savage's. she liked the way they felt but I didn't know how good they were. I kinda liked the ruger American. something under $1000 including the scope.

If you want the least expensive, I would say the Ruger American. It looks like they go anywhere from $315- $400. I can't believe anyone can make a rifle that cheap. There has to be China parts in there, no way U.S labor can build the whole thing for that it seems. If that's still too much for you, look for a used Ruger American, they should be 200 or so dollars.

For 1k, you can get into a Tikka. They are very accurate rifles and have a decent factory trigger. For a production rifle, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better gun. Top it off with a Leupold Freedom scope and you'll be good to go.

Another vote for the vanguard. Change out that crappy trigger and you've got a shooter. My 7mm shoots awesome.

I own most of the "bargain" type rifles - Savage, Ruger American etc. And they all have their good points.

But for my money (and they do cost a bit more) I wouldn't trade the Tikka's I have for any of the above...

Shop around and you can get a Tikka and a decent scope and stay within your $1K budget...

I think Tikka is a great bang for the buck! If you have a little more cash I'd take a look a Sako Finnlight. I would recommend a 300 WSM. Mine hardly kicks and it's nice to have a 30 cal for elk.

I thought we were talking low budget rifles. Now that that has expanded to $1K with scope. The world is your canvas. Endless combinations.

If you want to find the absolute best deals on firearms and accessories watch gun.deals.com on a daily basis. It shows deals from many firearms stores/websites.

As an example right now there are Mossberg Patriot .308 rifles for $249 w/free shipping. and Savage Axis ii camo in 6.5 creedmore for $329 with free shipping. Browning A-bolt 3 Micro stalker in .243 $449; Quite frequently they have PSA AR-15 receivers for $39 shipped.

This is by far the best site I have found for great deals. Of course they all have to be shipped to an FFL, but many of them will do transfers for around $20.

13824screenshot20190724190313samsungcapture.jpg

I was skeptical about buying a "budget" rifle but I have been totally amazed at this Mossberg Patriot in 6.5CM.
This little man bun gun consistently and very easily rings steel gongs out to 800 yards.
I bought it with hunting in mind, so I haven't tried stretching it out past 800 due to low energy.
I'm into this little gem less than $700 including brake, scope and bipod.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-19 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]Between my boys they have a Howa, Weatherby, & Savage and I have a Ruger. Howa or Weatherby is way better IMO and very easily tweaked to perform better. Howa is a bit bulkier & thicker feeling while the Weatherby is more streamlined and quicker handling. Up to personal choice as both shoot lights out for the money. Comparably they are above the Savage and Ruger fit and finish.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

>Getcha a 300 RUM.
>
>She'll grow into it ;)

And if She Doesn't .......................!:D

I left my comfort range and bought a Ruger American(first ruger), and did so in 7mm-08(too small).

The gun is ugly, but is more accurate than me.

And that little caliber has put more meat in the freezer via my son in the last 2 year's than my browning in 06' has.

"I don't care if the season is closed. Get off your butt and go hunt them"

TRISTATE
3/11/19

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

I agree with the 7mm- o8 also for your daughter, what ever rifle you choose you can tremendously increase your accuracy by adding a new adjustable trigger for around 120. 00 dollars

Weatherby and tikka are pretty sweet rifles for the money, in my experience both shoot very well. 257 is a laser, and 6.5 anything is pretty sweet. The BC on the 6.5 is impressive.

It was many years ago and before some of the rifles mentioned above even existed, but...FWIW

Craig Boddington said the line of Model 110 Savage rifles was the best buy out there when it comes to out-of-the-box accuracy and dependability.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I have an older Weatherby Vanguard in .257 wby.
I swapped the original junk trigger with a 2.5# Timney and it shoots very well.
My son bought the newest version of the Vanguard in sub MOA in
270 short mag.
For the price, his rifle is amazing....the new trigger has been greatly improved.
He put a Leupold CDS 4.4-14 on it and is absolutely deadly with it.

I recommend looking at the Weatherby Camilla, basically a Vanguard with a stock designed for women and small framed shooters. I have one in 7mm-08 and it shoots lights out, with my reloads. The ballistics I am getting are up there with the 270 Win and this shoots 140 gr which is good enough for elk, and 120 gr for everything else.

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on and it helps with felt recoil. The fit and finish on the gun will likely help with your daughter's pride of ownership.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I just picked up the Tikka T3 Lite in the 7mm and love it. Sub MOA 5 shot groups with the Hornady ELD-X ammo. I topped it with the new Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope. Super light and very affordable. Was going to do a custom gun this year, but the wife ended up pregnant so I had to stick to a budget.

I don't know about a of them, but the rock bottom priced budget rifles usually have a crappy trigger pull and a $5 injection molded flimsy stock that often hits the barrel as is, especially if shooting with a sling. The be bad trigger pull messes you up more in field shooting positions than off a stable bench. Usually there is a cheap way to improve the trigger pull someone has put on u-tube and the barrel channel can be opened up. I'd probably rather have a rock bottom rifle with a good scope than a mid range rifle with a Chinese cheapo rock bottom priced scope.

TC Venture, Weathershield if you can afford it. Everyone I have or seen shot, shoot lights out! My 6.5x284 SF WS is a one hole rifle.

>TC Venture, Weathershield if you can
>afford it. Everyone I
>have or seen shot, shoot
>lights out! My 6.5x284
>SF WS is a one
>hole rifle.

Maybe You need a Name Change?:D

>>TC Venture, Weathershield if you can
>>afford it. Everyone I
>>have or seen shot, shoot
>>lights out! My 6.5x284
>>SF WS is a one
>>hole rifle.
>
>Maybe You need a Name Change?:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Coming from the master of name changes ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom