best Nv elk unit

O

one1cut

looking for the best elk unit with bulls over 380, points are building up and not getting any younger non res

I think it's probably pretty difficult to harvest a NV bull over 380 any more. Although I'm sure a few will hit the ground every year. I wouldn't set 380 as a goal unless you have several bulls on the wall already.

The units with fewer tags all have the potential for that type of bull for the DIY hunter. If you're really serious about acheiving a 380 bull out of NV, I would go down the list of outfitters, interview them all and pick the one you feel has the best chance of putting you on that class of bull, then take his recommendation on where to apply. The hardest part of taking a big bull is finding one. A good guide that spends a lot of time scouting may find the only 380+ bull in a unit, which is a lot better than hunting a unit that has produced several bulls over 380 in the past and not knowing where any of them are located when you have a tag in your pocket.

I happen to have one of the few NR tags for 2009. I would like to harvest a 340+ on my own. I will tag the best bull I can find if the opportunity is presented. To me, a succesful hunt is being on the ground where big bulls live and just having a chance to harvest one. I won't eat my tag holding out for 380.

Sagebrush,Very well said & good luck on your upcoming hunt.It seems like everyone I talk to says the same thing about Nevada's elk quality going down hill.Too many tags,including the landowner tags,have made fewer older class bulls avaiable.Still some great bulls taken each year but a 380 might be asking for a bit much.I'm also trying to draw with my 16 NR points & will do just like you suggested!
David

But what about unit 111? I keep hearing how great this unit is for the "BIG BULLS"

I'm hunting 111-115, 221, 222 this year. During my research I've learned that a couple 400 bulls will likely get taken in that unit this year. But a realistic DIY goal is 340. Anything better is a bonus. With a good guide??? 370-380.

An example is a guy I talked to that had a guide with 6 hunters in camp. He told them he could almost guarentee a 340 bull for everyone. As your expectations go up, your success will go down so decide what you'll be happy with. The guy held out and took a 370 with lots of broken points. He was the last one done and felt fortunate to kill that bull.

Stay away of 111 all rag horns. No nice bulls in the units mentioned above. +1 on a couple will maybe taken.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]There will be a couple 380 bulls taken each year, but only a couple. It's a pretty lofty goal to set. Much more doable 5 years ago, but much tougher now. One of the main taxidermists in Elko told me he took in almost 100 bulls in '05, and is lucky to get in 20 nowadays.

Some people think that Nevada cranks out 400 inch bulls right and left. Keep in mind that as of the 2005 record book, there have only been 10 bulls killed (entered) that netted 400 or more - EVER. That's typical and non-typical. As stated above, it's possible, but extremely tough.

As for units 11 & 22 units (Ely) mentioned above, yes they have produced more huge bulls than anywhere else in the state, but keep in mind there are 394 bull tags issued in the drawing there this year, not counting landowner tags. That's a lot of elk hunters.

just my opinion...but the ely area since it has been turned into mostly wilderness has not and will not kill the bulls of the past..last year scouting with a buddy and him talking to people hunting the early rifle hunt...no one, or at best very very few were killing elk of any size. we did see some good bulls thru the glass...but they were a long hike away at best. there is a vast majority of area that has been turned into wilderness and the majority of people will not hike enough to get into quality bulls. I do believe there are still a fair number of good bulls there, just not easily accesible like they used to be. a 340" bull is still a good bull to kill, its just not a 400" bull. People have gotten used to the idea that Nevada is full of 400" bulls..which a few years ago a person could reasonbly expect to have a chance at one...or at least see one...i dont think thats the case today in most areas of Nevada...not saying they are not here..just not like everyone got used to hearing and seeing. Just my .02 cents

I talked to a reputable guide last year who said there average bull taken was in the 340 range with the biggest being a 365-370 bull. These are guys who spend the entire year on the mountain looking for animals. As mentioned in the above post there are some hogs out there just not like it was a few years ago. Nevada is still a great place for all big game animals. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-09 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]Looks like we all pretty much agree, always a potential hogg but realistically 340 class bulls. Still glad I have a tag!!!!!!

First 2 weekends of Sept I'll be scouting 7 days so I'll get back with an update.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-09
>AT 07:25?AM (MST)

>
>Looks like we all pretty much
>agree, always a potential hogg
>but realistically 340 class bulls.
> Still glad I have
>a tag!!!!!!
>
>First 2 weekends of Sept I'll
>be scouting 7 days so
>I'll get back with an
>update.

>thanks you all for all the input what about 061 unit are there quality bulls in that unit

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-09 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]We had some drought years that didnt help antler growth, we have had two years now of good moisture, lets see how this year turns out, but to get a 400 bull it takes alot of scouting, hiking and glassing, which most hunters I have seen the last 18 years hunting nevada ride around on thier atv's and maybe walk a 1/4 mile and say damn we huntin our butts off. If you want a 380-400 class bull you have to work for it. But heck a 340 360 would make a fine trophy too.

In my case I'm treating this as a OIL hunt. Scouting 7 days prior to the season plus however many days I can get there early from my NM hunt (probably 3). That plus the 12 day season will give me 22 days on the unit unless I connect earlier.

I'll have a lot better idea of my minimum by opening day.

one1cut

Units 061,071 in 2008 had a 67% harvest rate and 60% of the bulls were 6 points, zero 7+ points. That means 40% of the hunters settled for 5 point bulls or less. A quality bull could come out of 61, but I go back to my earlier post, you will have to put in the time or pay someone that does.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-09 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]As someone who grew up in Ely and enjoy the area I am a fan of the change to wilderness in 111-115, 221-223. They did a study in Cave valley about 3-4 years ago that showed there was over 350 miles of roads & quad trails off of a 10 miles stretch of the main Cave Valley Road. Seems a bit much doesn't it? As far as the bulls on top of the schell creek's, there has never been any way to get those bulls without lots of hiking. So the wilderness hasn't hindered that area to much. The people who are diehard will still hike, the weekend wariors will complain. There is still enough access to allow for people to go site seeing or to get you close enough to for a good hike.

Quality is down as far as big bulls go, thats comes from talking to guides (who are out every day and do it for a living) and from first hand experience. Anymore if you kill a 340 Bull you are doing good, 350+ and you've done really good. Anything bigger than 380 and you should go play megabucks!

It seems that 10 years ago you would run into only a handfull of people hunting. Now it seems that every road, pull off, wildlife viewing area, etc. has 1-3 trucks parked with high end optics, quads, rinos, and every new gadget that has hit the market. The ammount of presure the elk heard has seen in the last 5 years is crazy. It became such a big deal to kill a huge elk that everyone who drew a tag invited anybody that they knew on the hunt, the more eyes the better odds of finding the bulls.

I'm glad I drew my tag and killed a bull 7 years ago!

Well there are still alot of elk and a lot of bulls in there. I shot my bull in 111 last year with my bow. And trust me there are still some big bulls in there and theres still a ton of elk in there. I love the fact that it's all wilderness now. That makes it even better for a guy like me who's only means of hunting is walking.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

whats your opinion of unit 72, the jarbidge? i drew a november rifle tag. we went there 2 weeks ago, didnt see any elk but we found the trailhead were going to take the mules and horses in on.i saw one nice buck though. Larry

I was in jarbidge last week when it was cold and raining. We saw about 50 head of elk. Lots of little bulls and one 360 bull. I think what is going on there is the same thing that happen to the ely area. People found out that there were elk and came runing. The good thing is it's wilderness. But there are a ton of elk in there. You don't hear much about big bulls being killed in there but I think part of that is how big and hard to hunt it is.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom