Best Sheep Caliber?

G

GaryinPA

I'm headed on my first sheep hunt in August 2003. I'm headed to Alaska for a dall hunt. I need advice on the best caliber. Any input would be appreciated.

GaryinPa,
I hunt everything with my 30.06! I killed a sheep and a caribou this year with it. Last year I shot a muley and an elk. I've killed many others with it and would never change rifles. It may not be the fastest or most powerful, but it is a great all round rifle. Good luck, were are you hunting sheep at?
jer

Glad to hear that about the '06. I have one of them! It's worked well for me on mulies, whitetails, antelope and caribou. I figured it would suffice. However, I'm prepared to buy a more appropriate rifle though, if need be.

I'm hunting on the north side of the Wrangell Mountains with Ellis Big Game Guides.

Nothing wrong with the '06, however it's a catch 22. If you need extreme range (those record book Rams always seem to be just outside one's range) a heavier rifle built for long range accuracy (or over the counter Remington Sendero's or Weatherby's)can get very heavy in the mountains. There's always the light weight Mountain rifles, which can shoot as good as most hunters ability. If your '06 has a good, accurate barrel, I'd stay with it. Personally, I like 160 grain bullets. My favorite is Speer Grand Slams. If I had to buy a new "Sheep rifle," it would be in .280 caliber. I would avoid the new "short mags" as they could wind up being a fad, and 5 years down the road it could be hard to find ammo. Probably not, but just a thought. Sheep aren't hard to kill when the shot is in the zone, bullet construction will help a lot with that. Good hunting and best of luck next year, grayghost

I have heard that the new 7mm Ultra mag. is one of the most superior long-range cartidges ever. If you are looking to buy a new rifle that may be your choice. The recoil is moderate and when tested on antelope...the bullet ( at 200 yards ) blew out the lungs and heart and made a huge dust hit 20 yards behind the animal.

I have a .30-06 and a .280...but my next purchase will probably be a .338 Winchester Magnum.

Good luck ! It sounds like it will be a great hunt !

Justin

ICQ - 156040317

AOL - [email protected]

Justin-

Thanks for the advice. I must admit, the 7mm is one of the calibers I have been leaning towards. I'd prefer a good long range rifle with out too much recoil. It's a tough decision.

If anyone else has advice, I'm happy to get it.

Thanks,
Gary

I would seriously look at the 270wsm.
I just recieved mine for this hunting season.
It is a short action,which provides better accuracy;and wieght savings over a long action.
I have a Christensen Arms(Graphite)match grade barrel;it shoots extremly well with hunting bullets.
I have developed a hand load 130gr.@ 3400fps;which is real close balisticly to the 7 ultra(150gr).
Some of the rifles they produce at Christensen Arms are around 6lbs.
Your hunt of a lifetime deserves the best rifle you can get.
Check it out if you get a chance http://www.christensenarms.com/
Happy Hunting !!!

Gary,
The 270wsm is in no means...worse then the 7mm ultra mag. But when we are talking about manageable recoil, and a gun more deadly then the shooter firing it, the 7mm ultra mag is a perfect gun from elk down to...heck....P-dogs. Only I wouldn't suggest it. :)

I just read a report of a hunter shooting a Mule Deer at 850 yards. ( I don't know why ). But it was a doe and was dropped in its tracks.

Think about it. :)

Justin

ICQ - 156040317

AOL - [email protected]

I shoot a Thompson/Center Encore in a 25/06 for sheep. It's light, compact and more than enough firepower for bighorns to Dalls.

Because you can convince your wife you "Must Have" the right rifle, its a great time to buy one. Grayghost mentioned a very versatile and good gun. I personally have used a .280 since 1985 and have shot everything from javelina to elk/bear size game and it is a great gun, slightly edges out the 30-06 and in the mountain rifle configuration it is not heavy. One other caliber that I bought two years ago in the same type scenario as yours but for long range coues hunting is the .257 Weatherby mag. It can flat out shoot long range, kill Elk sized animals down to varmits depending on the load and is a reasonably priced gun. I bought the Mark V synthetic stock from Walmart for 685.00. Just some thoughts.......p.s. the ammo is not 50.00 per box, I buy from DNR sports over the internet and pay 33.00 for 115 ballistic tips or 120 nosler partitions so all in all it is relatively affordable unless you target practice alot then start reloading....... Allen......

I kinda like the new Model 700 Titanium in 308...maybe 270. 5 and a half pounds is ideal for sheep. That rifle in a 7 short mag would be wicked as well!!!

These are all good calibers for sheep but if I was to buy a rifle today for sheep hunting, I will agree with the first post that recommended the 7 Ultra Mag. Not the 7mm Mag! Big difference. Its not so heavy that it would kill you to carry it in the Mts. Another option, if you reload, is the 300 Ultra Mag(I have one). You could load 165 grn noslers and the ballistics will be as flat as anything out there with a bunch of energy at longer distances and sheep are tough animals. Let us know what you decide. Drummond

Add another vote for the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. I picked up on of the Remington RMEF rifles chambered for the 7mm Ultra just yesterday. It is a beautiful rifle. I can hardly wait to get it scoped up and head for the range.

A bolt action rifle in .270 Winchester, nestled into a stable stock, launching 140 grain Winchester Fail Safe bullets all the while peering through a quality 6X riflescope would do nicely.

Depends where you are hunting. Hiking through griz country?? A .270 will just make a bruin mad. I have a friend who hikes in 20 miles to a very remote area...he packs a .375H&H. It worked on his 39" Trophy Dall Ram.

If it were me I'd use a .300 or .300-338 Weatherby. You need to be prepared for a 500 yard shot.

Gutpile,
a 300-338 Weatherby ? Is that a Wildcat round or a (sp) error >?

I would say that if we are going into someone who will be reloading..... .338 Winchester Magnum with 175 grain reloads. Now that is a long-range sheep killer.

Or the new .338 ultra magnum reloaded with the same 175 gn. bullet.

I have a remington 700 bdl mountain rifle, with a bedded synthetic stock, gunsmithed trigger & topped with a Leupold VarX-III in .280. It will be with me if I ever draw a tag.

I also have a 30.06 (rem. 7600) with Nikon scope (2-7) that will be used for most other big game hunting.

I would intertrade either gun for everything depending on which was shooting better before I left (ie which gave me more confidence).

Bearclaw bullets

I had Gene Lamb (Weiser, ID) build me a .280 mountain rifle with a 19.5 inch barrel and topped it with a Baush/Loome 1.5-6x for hunting Idaho mountains for elk. Sweet to carry but really deadly out to 400-450 yrds. I shot a Ruger 77 MkII in .280 not long ago and it was impressive. I'm kinda hooked on the caliber. Light recoil, accurate, very "loadable" if you spend time at the bench.

My Brother took the Grand Slam shooting all rams with a 7mm rem. mag. using 140 grain Barnes X bullet. One ram shot over 480 yards. All one shot kills

I shot 3 of my 4 rams with 7 mm rem. mag using 140 grain Barnes
X bullet. One ram shot near 500 yards. sheep are not that hard to put down if hit in a good spot.

I was running into lots of grizzly on Bighorn hunt, so I packed a 30-378 Weatherby which is more than enough gun, but it is a heck of a grizzly (both inland and coastal grizz) gun.

If your guide is packing grizzly medicine, which he should, 7mm can't be beat.

good luck on your hunt. sheep hunting is awesome

Grand Slam

Any light rifle in .270 or .280 would be fine. Im saving for a Remington mountain rifle lss in one of those. Dont be cheap on the scope though. Also quick detach mounts and a backup scope in rings and sighted in would be invaluable if you tripped or something.
Jimmy

obviously any caliber you like to shoot is enough sheep gun. from a 257 to a 375. You need to look at gun weight as the primary consideration. I just bought a new rifle. and I plan to hunt 95% of my N.American big game with it including sheep. I studied it hard and decided to go with the Wby. Super Big Game Master in 300 Wby mag. It only weighs 6.75lbs and I put a Zeiss "V" series scope on it at 14 oz. I chose the 300 cause your in grizz country and you never know. I like the ballistics too of the caliber. The choice is yours, but look at overall gun weight and go lite, you'll thank yourself for doing so.
I think Remington makes a super lite "titanium" rifle. Good Luck and let us know.

Gary,
I could not resist so here is more information for you. Depending on the type of hunter you are and conditions of the hunt and future hunts, I offer the following:

1. The rifle weight is critical; therefore, keep it light.
2. If you are recoil sensitive, stay away from the mags.
3. Be sure that you get a good scope and mounts. Light weight stuff and loctite the mess in place (non hardening).
4. Do not get a rifle with a wood stock.
5. Stainless, all of it. No rust.
6. Be sure to measure the bullet velocity (chronograph)then develop a yardage table that you tape on the rifle.
7. Be sure dam sure that rifle is completely stripped, cleaned and lightly oiled. Reassemble tight (all the bolts).
8. Be sure to tape the end of your barrel (electrical tape- 1 wrap over the bore then several times around the barrel to hold the tape over the bore in place and to give you more tape if needed in the field).
9. Be sure you practice and hunt with the same ammo, always.
10. Adjust your trigger pull as you see fit but loctite the adjustment screws.

The most important part is good optics and a range finder. If you know the yardage, know your rifle and your capabilities, the rest is easy unless you get buck fever.

I personally hunt with a 300 Weatherby in a custom made Remington 700. The action and barrel are stainless with a barrel length of 24 inches. The stock is kelvar. The action is glassed bedded and the barrel is free floated. The trigger is a Jewel SS trigger set at 2 pounds. The rifle alone weighs in at 6.75 pounds. A 4.5 x 14 40mm Leupold scope and Gentry feather lite scope mounts seat on top of the rifle with max eye relief. Everything is loctited. A lightweight nylon non slip sling and lightweight scope covers are used. The barrel is taped. I reload all my ammo to tight specs. I currently shoot 180 Nolser ballistic tip at 3,205 fps for most things. The rifle is carried inside a specially made full size pack so the rifle is protected and I have full use of both hands. Most important for sheep hunting, I feel. The pack also serves as rest.

Today, I would look at the short mags with the short actions and the compact scopes (for a sheep rifle only). Save the weight if possible but remember the lighter rifles kick more!

I would choose a short mag, remington or winchester, which ever you prefer, they for sure are not fads, you can get one in a light compact model, and they deliver the goods. my preference would be the model 7 Alaskan wilderness rifle, chambered in 300 saum. it weight 6 1/2 lbs. and you could load it with 200 grn. nosler partitions if you are in grizz country, and it still will shoot flat enough to hit targets at 400yds.

It's taken some time but I finally went and bought that sheep gun. OK, I didn't buy it yet. I had to order it. I settled on the 300 ultra mag (with a muzzle brake). Thanks to everyone for their advice and thoughts. It was really helpful.

Now the hard part...the sheep hunt.

It's somewhere earlier in the post but I'm headed to Alaska with Ellis Big Game Guides. They're located on the north side of the Wrangells.

I live in Utah and have hunted everything from Elk to antelope with my Browning .270 Gold Medallion without a problem. I suggest a 130 grain sierra gameking boattail for long shots(flat shooting and still packs enough whack when it gets there to get the job done). As always though, whatever rifle you choose, shot placement is key. So take the time to get it right. Good luck on your hunt.

GaryinPA:

So, what did you end up buying for a rifle and how did it perform for you? Hope you had good luck.

is your sheep hunt over lready?

Later Yall!!!!
deer.jpg

Thanks to all who provided advice. I ended up with a Remington 300 ultra mag.

Man, what a hunt. I dreamed about this one for a long time. It was more than I hoped for. beatiful country, lots of game and a fantastic outfitter.

Long story short...After flying to a cabin camp and hiking 4 miles up the valley, we set up a spike camp and watched about a dozen or so rams on the mountain above us until it finally got dark. Headed out (and up) at 4:00 am the next morning. Got pinned down during the day for several hours by bands of rams that weren't legal or weren't worthy. Later in the afternoon we slipped in a couple of hundred yards above 3 bedded rams. One looked really good. Turns out, he was and I made a perfect shot with my new rifle. Well, I guess it really wasn't new anymore after all the rounds I shot out of it on the practice range. I scored on a 36" ram on the first day of my hunt. What a thrill! I was sore for three days after packing that critter out though. And I was in good shape before I headed out for this adventure! I can't imagine how anyone could do a sheep hunt without the proper physical training.

I'm not too good with posting pictures but the link below to the Ellis Big Game Guide web site has a picture of me holding the horns. I hope it works

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Dscf72N.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom