Best Wyoming unit with 6 pp???

pauns08

Well I'm bored at work hunts are over for me this year and I'm planning next years already. I have 6 pp as a non resident trying to decide what to do. My thought is with that amount of points I don't want to hunt a general unit that every resident can hunt so does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at unit 81 a little bit but is that a limited quota unit or part of a general unit for residents? For some reason that's the unit that keeps popping up when I try to research hunts.

Region h probably your best bet other then that you'll be waiting a few more years I think
So region H would be better than one of the limited quota tags I could draw with 6 points? Maybe I'll wait a few more years then, I'm fine doing special as well. Was thinking of waiting for like 101, 102, or that late 128 tag also.

So region H would be better than one of the limited quota tags I could draw with 6 points? Maybe I'll wait a few more years then, I'm fine doing special as well. Was thinking of waiting for like 101, 102, or that late 128 tag also.
You could be 15+ years waiting for one of those.

It took me 15 points to draw 102 this year just. FYI. I only went with 102 because I grew up in that area and new it personally. Otherwise I think you could find a comparable hunt for a lot less points.

There are literally thousands of NR's with 9-10 more points than 6 and In My Opinion, there are no deer units in Wyoming worth waiting the 20+ years you would likely need to draw. Even the three units you list are not hunts that you can expect a good buck in and are not really much better than area G or H.
If I were in your shoes, I'd cash out in a general hunt unit.

There are literally thousands of NR's with 9-10 more points than 6 and In My Opinion, there are no deer units in Wyoming worth waiting the 20+ years you would likely need to draw. Even the three units you list are not hunts that you can expect a good buck in and are not really much better than area G or H.
I dont think you can see 30 4point bucks in 1 day in G or H. I do think the top end is better in them.

It took me 15 points to draw 102 this year just. FYI. I only went with 102 because I grew up in that area and new it personally. Otherwise I think you could find a comparable hunt for a lot less points.
Did you have any luck in 102? I've not heard much good from that area as of late

Treedagain said- I dont think you can see 30 4point bucks in 1 day in G or H. I do think the top end is better in them.

Maybe 128 you can see 30 4 points a day? Definitely not like that in 102/101.

I just hear that you have to pack in to G or H and I'm not familiar at all with any units in Wyoming is why I wanted to steer away from them. I'd be happy hunting 160 type bucks as well. I've just had it with utah and the way they manage their general season tags so I figured I would try Wyoming.

I just hear that you have to pack in to G or H and I'm not familiar at all with any units in Wyoming is why I wanted to steer away from them. I'd be happy hunting 160 type bucks as well. I've just had it with utah and the way they manage their general season tags so I figured I would try Wyoming.
I wouldn’t come to Wyoming then just ask all the others from Utah Wyoming don’t manage good here either, especially G and H

Treedagain said- I dont think you can see 30 4point bucks in 1 day in G or H. I do think the top end is better in them.

Maybe 128 you can see 30 4 points a day? Definitely not like that in 102/101.
Thats what I meant. 128 lots of bucks, just not the potential of G/H for upper end.

I think 10+ in 102 is possible

Maybe there is something I am missing, but I believe he said he's a non-resident. That late season hunt in 128, in the SPECIAL draw has draw odds of 9% with 14 points. With 6 points, he has a .34% chance of drawing that tag. You could hunt region H 4 times before you draw that 128 tag....and to tag a 160 class buck, give me 4 trips in any unit and I'll at least get within bow range 1 time of a buck of that caliber. That's the route I would go

Someone who is currently sitting on 6 pp has no reasonable chance of drawing a tag in any of Wyoming’s “premium” units in their lifetime. For example, max preference points for last year were 15. In 128, in the regular and special combined, 8 tags where given with a total of 137 applicants with the full 15 points. At the current rate, it will take 17+ more years for people who currently have max points to draw. There was a total of 2 random tags given also with approximately 1200 applicants. Other units mentioned above such as 101, 102, 119 and 130 all have similar draw odds.

Once they change it to bonus points and get rid of preference points and lower our NR quota it won't matter either...be like winning the lottery.

Once they change it to bonus points and get rid of preference points and lower our NR quota it won't matter either...be like winning the lottery.
For deer, neither of those two things are going to happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Maybe Wyoming will be like Idaho where people will just move there because a lot of people can work from home now.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom