BH 209 ?

hangfire

I use this powder and love it, but never left a load in my gun for any amount of time. The question is how long have you left a load in your gun? Would it be ok on say a 10 day hunt? Or would you want to clean and reload a couple times?

I Have left it loaded in dry weather up to 5 days. In rainy weather I generally have shot and reloaded every 2 to 3 days. Never missfired. And I have not cleaned the gun, just shoot, reload and keep hunting. So yes, I think you can go 10 days without cleaning but I generally like to shoot and reload at least once during a hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Let's see. I put my mzldr away loaded w/ BH209 last December. I expect it'll go off just fine next fall. BH209 does not attract and absorb moisture like some of the other fake powders do. I will fire the rifle and reload it previous to actually hunting with it next fall.

Thanks for the comments guys. Mainer how often do you clean your gun, and how long have you been doing this for? Just curious for your results, on accuracy.

Hangfire - Cleaning depends on use. I didn't fire it on my last hunt, but had cleaned it, and dirtied the barrel with a squib load prior to loading. I do keep tape over the muzzle, and a red painted spent primer in the breech as additional seal. With the 209 I've found that paying strict attention to cleaning and clearing the breech plug is the most important in my .45 cal CVA Kodiak. At the bench I wipe out the barrel and pick the breech every ten shots or so. This maintains the best performance. I like the stuff. As accurate in my gun as 777, and no wiping after every shot, or moisture absorption. Good luck.

To each his own, but I would never leave a load in a gun till next year. There are definately people who have reported rust when using Bh 209. It doesn't attract moisture, but sometimes moisture is just in the air. The barrels of centerfire rifles can rust too. When I am done hunting and don't plan on using the gun for an extended period, I clean it, apply a light coat of gun oil, and then store it. Heck, I probably wouldn't even remember next year it if were loaded and with what! LOL.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I agree with tx probably would not leave my gun loaded for that long. But its good to know how long you could pack a load in your gun. thanks.

My Omega was loaded during my last elk tag which was December 2009. I shot the load off in January 2011. It chrono'ed the same as the fresh loads. Once I cleaned the bore, you can't tell it was ever loaded. My barrel is stainless steel. I can't vouch for blued chrome moly steel. One of the contributing factors on my side is I live in the desert. Single digit humidity numbers are not uncommon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom