Bighorn Reading

chewyman55

I'm sure it's been covered here before but I'm looking for some good reading and or watching of bighorn sheep. I'm closing in on a WYO tag and would like to learn what I can about the habits and behaviors of them. As it stands now, I know very little about what they do and why they do it. I would like to change that. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have most of Duncan Gilchrist's books on sheep, as well as a few of his on hunting mountain game. They are always a good read.

Thank you for the lead. It looks like "Quest for Giant Bighorns" might be something for me to read up on. Incidentally, I looked up Jack O Connor's "Sheep and Sheep Hunting" and any of you who own that one, you'd better take good care of it. They fetch a pretty penny on the market!

Chewy,
My copy of Jack's sheep & sheep hunting is for sale or rent......... for the price of a Stone sheep hunt! haha

I like "the great arc of the wild sheep" by James L. Clark. It's a bit more clinical than most guy like but it covers....well... the whole arc of the wild sheep across the world! I've now hunted in places that the book said I couldn't. Things change.

Read "wilderness of the Denali" by Shelton. It covers Dall sheep but for a sheep lover it doesn't matter if it's about bighorns or snow sheep. It's all good!

Have fun!

Zeke

Chewy,
I did some serious "sheep reading" this winter trying to keep the fire burning. Most of it was Jack O'Connor. I was able to find a very good used copy of "Sheep and Sheep Hunting" for about $55 on Amazon.
I was surprised to discover that Jack talks less about Rocky bighorns than any other North American Sheep. I suspect that is because he hunted them less than the other 3.
I have about every sheep video ever sold (at least my wife thinks I do) and there are several good ones on Rocky Bighorns. I have been known to lend them out although I don't borrow them to Zeke because he forgets who lent them to him! JK Zeke
PM me and if you are close by we might be able to work something out. I hunted my Wyoming Rocky in 04 and I also have a video of that hunt I would share.

Hey LBH, you can have them back if you'll pay the towing and storage fee! LMAO

Just to set the record straight; I think you got them back, right?

Zeke

PS: I'd better be nice to LBH since he's about ready to read "SUCCESSFUL" on his desert sheep application!

Zeke...that seems like a fair price. I think I'll go the rental route! I'm hoping to snag a dall hunt in the next five years so some reading on them would beneficial as well.

Littlebighorn PM sent. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-13 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Zeke,
Next time I lend you videos I am going to take that Stone sheep mount of yours as collateral! That'll get my videos back pronto! LOL

Chewy,
I returned a PM. Keep in touch my friend and I will pass on everything Zeke learned me about sheep! I must warn you, however, you are showing symptoms of "sheep fever", which is pretty much impossible to cure!

Littlebighorn, I sent you a pm.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

I've been reading "Return to Royalty: Wild Sheep of North America". It's authored by Dr. Valerius Geist and Dr. Dale Toweill, both of whom I consider experts in the field of wild sheep. They wrote it in collaboration with FNAWS and Boone and Crockett Club. It takes a more scientific approach in regard to behavior, habitat, etc as opposed to hunting tactics. The pictures are beautiful and very well put together. It breaks down the subspecies and even goes into states/providences.

Dr Geist seems to be the father of sheep research and is quoted in almost all sheep literature. I was unaware of this book so I just jumped on Amazon and picked me up a copy. Thanks Mr. Muddy Boots!

Ditto Return to Royalty: Wild Sheep of North America

The Best of Sheep Hunting John Batton 1980- Hard to find FNAWS publication

I suggest for Desert Bighorns: The Desert Bighorn its life history, ecology and management by Gale Monson and Lowell Summer and for Rockys and thinhorns: Wild Sheep Country by Valerius Geist
Geist also wrote the best book to date on Mule Deer called Mule Deer Country.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom