Black Hills Whiteys (Reg A)

BowHuntr

Purchased a couple leftover Region A tags for my new wife and I. Never hunted whitetails before. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the Black Hills, i.e. a good starting point, and what kind of bucks you can expect to see up that way. Probably be sticking to public ground. Not looking to shoot anything small. I've heard that the majority of the whiteys up there don't make it to 3 years old.

Any info would be much appreciated. Coming from Central Utah, so makes for long trips.

Thanks

BowHuntr

lots of roads lots of company on the public . if you are looking for something with some size private land is your best bet. if you ask around there is some decent ground for some reasonable trespass fees. some of the cafes in a few of the towns even had contact info in a list on the counter good luck.

Look into some of te walk in areas.There is some good hunting on them . I am hunting in region B on Walk In Areas.
Look for the 3 things Whitetails need to survive.Water ,Food and cover,you will find deer.

I have hunted both the Bear Lodge and the Black hills on NF only. Try hunting as close to or after the 15th of Nov. You'll see a lot less hunters if you hunt weekdays.

Try some of the state sections or small sections of blm, if you are hunting forest try walking away from the roads down near the private property, also there is a walk in area in the very ne corner of the state, maybe worth checking out. also note that the middle to the end of nov, does= bucks.