blazer vanes vs longer vanes

nmelkman

I am currently shooting longer 3-4 inch vanes and am considering going to the blazer vanes, will this affect my shot placement at all, also i am having trouble with my wisker biscuit cutting the longer vanes after shooting them alot, will the blazer vanes do better with the wisker biscuit?

I did not notice any difference in my placement when I switched vanes from long to short. I like the way short looks better and think they will have less wind effect.

I had a whisker biscuit and my long vanes got wavy. I then switched to short, stiffer vanes and that helped a bit. I ended up getting a drop away rest as I really do not like anyting touching my vanes during flight. It just doesn't seam right.

You might find the blazer vaned arrows will hit higher than the 4 inchers, if they're 3" there probably won't be much difference. I used to shoot a bisquit and blazers held up better than anything else I tried.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

I have tried all types of plastics yet I always go back to feathers.The only time I try to use plastic is when I'm antelope hunting. Those goats have fast reflexes and feathers do make alot of noise. I guess feathers have evolved for flying! Plastics seem to exaggerate my imperfections in form. Just my .02.

Good luck getting them to sick. I like Blazers but Fusions stay on the shaft ALOT BETTER.

Everyone in our group shoots the 2" Blazers, Max. helical on Easton FMJ 340's. We get 8 inches less drop at 50 yds with these small diamiter arrows when comparing them to the older 4 inch vanes on the same FMJ arrows. Small diamiter arrows, Blazers and a small aero dynamic style broadhead is the most advanced high tech setup with maximum effeciency....We get both field points and broadheads shooting the same....We use a Bitz. fletching tool and never have any issues with the Blazers falling off. We have most arrows with the same vanes for 5 years now...just good arrow prep,clean vanes, good glue they last until you cut one with a broadhead.

We all shoot wisker biscuits because we stalk in heavy brush/timber and don't want arrows falling off rest issues. Know a guy that missed a real big buck in Ca. A zone archery last week because his arrow fell off his fancy rest. Wisker Biscuits just give us one less thing to worry about when stalking game. We know the arrow will be there ready to shoot when the time is right.

))))......>

I used to be a feather guy, but switched to the 2 inch NAP Quickspins because they are more durable and don't get wet like feathers do or need powder. I go on backcountry hunts and can't be powdering arrows up in the rain. The NAP's go on straight or 1 degree offset. I just fletched a dozen easton FMJ's with the arizona ez fletch carbon straight with Bohning Quatum XL glue. Great glue and they appear to be sticking very well and this glue has gotten awesome reviews.

Arrows fly great. I have a Kazaway which is a little known dropaway that has claws to hold the arrow even if upside down. Best of both worlds in a dropaway that is durable and holds the arrow.

You know ALOT of drop away rests have a locking upright position so your arrow wont fall out like the biscuit. personally i cant stand the biscuit... just get a dropaway and you dont have to worry about your fletchings hitting the rest. But yes, Blazers with Max Helical are great. after i changed over to them I never looked back.. just converted 2 friends to blazers and they are shooting like champs.

I've shot 4 inch, 3 inch and blazers...
I've found that the blazers seem to give me better penitration(not good at spelling) at 20, 30 or so yards, but have found that 3 inch vanes have better accuracy from 40 yards and out.

When I switched from 4" to 2", my groups were about 4" higher at 40 yards. It seemed like I was getting a little bit tighter groups as well. The 2" Blazers don't get wavy like the 4" vanes. I think they look better too.

Blazers are a better choice with the WB rest, they are stiffer and dont tend to get as beat up as most longer vanes do. As far as the POI changing, it always has for me. Couple years ago I did a bunch of testing using various 4", 3" & Blazer vanes from 20 to 100yds. From 20yds to 40yds there wasnt much difference, the 3" & 4" vanes hit the same and Blazers might have been an inch or 2 higher at the most....At ranges past 40yds and out to 100yds is where the largest difference was, the 3" & 4" vanes really started dropping off at those yardages and it almost seemed like the Blazer kept climbing...When shooting at 100yds the Blazer fletched arrows impacted around 12" higher than the 3" & 4" fletched arrows. All the vanes were fletched with a right helical and since the longer vanes are heavier & longer "they end up with more helical on them" they have alot more drag so they end up cutting speed alot faster than the short 2" Blazer vanes.
Another good short vane to try is the AAE MaxHunter, they fletch up really well, and are just a tad longer than the Blazers so you can get a little more helical on them...I've shot the Blazers & MaxHunters alot and had really good luck with both of them with mechanical & fixed blade broadheads...One trick I will mention is if you shoot a big fixed blade broadhead and you have a fletching jig that will do it is to fletch the short vanes in a 4 fletch configuration...You'll loose a little speed with the 4 fletch setup but they steer big broadheads really well.

Black Gold Bowsights Staff, John's Customs ProStaff
Owner FatBoyzArchery & dealer for= Black Gold sights, TrophyTaker, Doinker, Harvest Time Archery, Tight Spot Quivers and alot of other stuff.

Trophy,
Think you could take a pic of the Blitz Fletcher as to how you have it setup for the small diameter shafts with the Blazer vanes? I have kicked around the idea of getting some FMJ's or Axis arrows when my Goldtips finally give up (if they ever do). Thanks.
WVBOWAK

Ditch the Biscuit and get a good drop away rest. Use the AZ EZ Fletch with helical. Use Blazers or AAE Max Hunters. Problems solved.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom