Bluelk-cap cover question

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Wanted to know if you have ever seen a gaget called the "Safe and Dry Kap Kover" by K & M industries in Elk River Idaho? I have used one for years and think they are great. Basically it is a standard percussion cap nipple except it has a notch cut such that an "O" ring fits below the cap. Next you have a brass piece that you can put over the nipple after you place a cap on. It is a friction, snug fit. This does 2 things: it effectively waterproofs the cap and it serves as a safety. If the hammer falls before you have taken the cap off, it strikes the solid brass piece, so the rifle can not fire.

I got my original one through Cabelas, but they don't carry them anymore, and I thought they might have gone out of business, but recently found the original package, called them and ordered a spare. I originally had 2 nipples, but had lost one, so I was worried I would lose that one.

For anyone who uses a standard #11 cap, I think this gaget is great, and no, I don't own any stock. Just wish I had invented it! I think it is a relatively small operation. I don't think they have a website, but their number is 208-826-3447 if you want to find out more info. Also, I can email you a picture of it if you want.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter58: You know, a couple of years ago I heard about them, but never pursued it. They really work huh? Sounds like it would. There is a real need for these. I'll give them a call. Thanks for the info.

It's kind of funny, where that product is made, because it's not legal to use in Idaho.

What is it about it that makes it illegal? Hard to imagine why.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-02 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-02 AT 12:19?PM (MST)

Well, in Idaho you must keep your cap exposed to the weather. What this means is that 209 primers are not allowed, and I think electrical tape will even get you in trouble if your using it to shroud the cap or breech area.
So even though this waterproof cover acts as a safety, I think IDF&G would have a problem with it. It can't hurt to ask.

Henry: You might have missed something in what was said. The cover is removed before the rifle will fire. It just protects the cap from moisture while you carrying the gun around. Now if Idaho says that is illegal then maybe you need to get some new laws up there. That would also mean that a "cow's knee" would be illegal for flintlocks!

wow im glad i read your post , i have a south east idaho tag this year and i know it said it had to be open breech .and you can only use the #11 or musket cap but i didnt know there would be a problem using a cover to keep the rain out of the breech area .i know when you read the idaho book it doesnt spell it out very clearly what you cannot use . and it seems that it can be interpreted a few different ways .i will e mail them and see if the t/c cover i bought is illegal .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-02 AT 12:11PM (MST)[p]Bluelk,
After your post I began to question myself, so I called and this is what I was told By Idaho F&G. You only need to have your breech exposed and open during the firing process. That means you can walk around all day with your breech covered or your cap encased with what ever metal, leather, tape ect. It's ok. I stand corrected.

Not that this will do anything for waterproofing but what I have used as a safety for years is a piece of leather about the size of a quarter and approx. 1/8-3/16 thick. it is flat. I attach to the trigger guard via a strip of leather lacing. Place the thick piece on top of the cap and let the hammer down to hold in place. When you **** the hammer the "leather safety" will fall off on its own and you are ready to fire. You may have to play with the lenght of lace to create the proper weight to pull the leather off the cap. This is of coarse for a sidelock hammer gun.
Just food for thought.
Stalker

I just called the company today and he confirmed that they are legal in Idaho. Also, I have been hesitant to switch over to a musket cap even though a lot of friends have because I like this Kap Kover so much, so I asked him if he was making them for musket cap nipples. He said yes, but only for the caps that don't have the bent out metal pieces that make it look like a top hat. In other words for musket caps that look just like # 11 but are just bigger.

txhunter58

I have never tried the gadget you speak of. But here is a trick that you might try. Take a three inch piece of surgical tubing of a diameter that will snugly fit over your cap and nipple. Tie a knot in one end and slip the open end over your cap and nipple. Close your bolt or let your hammer down. When you are ready to fire grab the tubing by the knot and rip it off at a ninety degree angle from your cap and nipple. Sometimes the end of the tubing that is over the cap will rip or tear a small amount when you do this. In this case you just cut the torn end off and reuse it until it is to short to grab a hold of.
I hunt in Wa. state on the olympic penninsula and have hunted for a week at a time in pouring down rain and have never had a misfire using this method.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom