Bone & Broadhead

B

bbentley392t

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]How goes it,
On a few occassions, I've seen guys take a shoulder blade or piece of a spine or neck vertabrate...with the broadhead still lodged or buried inside of it, and preserve it. The most common place I've seen them displayed is on a table or counter, hanging from their rear view, etc. I actually think it's a really cool extra little "trophy" from your hunt and especially a great conversation starter. I've always wanted to have one...just to have because I think they're neat, but have never been lucky enough to smack an animal in the bone...all of my stick & string kills have been heart & lung shots, thankfully. However less than 2 weeks ago on opening morning of the archery season here in Utah...I harvested my very first Pronghorn Antelope. And as luck would have it, I struck my goat in the lower neck portion of the spine. Now I've got a chunk of vertabrate with my 85 gr. NAP Thunderhead in the middle of it!

One of my best friends owns his own Taxidermy Studio & Game Processing shop...he's really good, and recieves all of my meat processing & taxidermy business. Anyway...his only reccomendation in order to remove the meat from the bone and clean it, was to boil it and cut off the remaining softened meat. As soon as my antelope meat was processed and ready to pick up...I was also able to pick up the section of bone with my broadhead inside. As soon as I made it home, I started to heat a deep pot of water and began to boil the bone. After a couple hours of non-stop boiling, I pulled the bone out...and tried to scrape & remove as much meat as I possibly could. I actually removed probably 85% of the meat...but there is still a decent amount of cartilage & meat I can't remove. My next idea was to leave it outside, and allow the fly's and other insects to try and "pick it clean"...however not much progress has been made going that route.

So...I now pose this question: Are there any of you (taxidermists) out there who have done this for a customer before...or have any other ideas or suggestions to help me get to where I need to be? Any help and advice would be sincerely appreciated...thanks in advance. Below is a perfect photo example of exactly what I'm talking about...just in case I haven't described what I'm talking about well enough

Thanks,
Brad Bentley

MikeFlo4Nov-Bone.jpg

after boiling it so the meat is soft use a pressure washer on it. That will help remove what meat and cartilage is left. Then soak it in peroxide to whiten it. That is what I did with a vertebra from a mule deer I shot. It was a thunderhead as well, only it was a 100 grain.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-09 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]>BOIL IT WITH PEROXIDE DONT SNIFF
>THE FUMES.

>after boiling it so the meat
>is soft use a pressure
>washer on it. That
>will help remove what meat
>and cartilage is left.
>Then soak it in peroxide
>to whiten it. That
>is what I did with
>a vertebra from a mule
>deer I shot. It
>was a thunderhead as well,
>only it was a 100
>grain.

How goes it,
I apologize for the late responses...thanks for the input, I appreciate it! Somebody over on "ArcheryTalk.com" recomended that I boil it again, only add liqiud dish soap to the water...well, it didn't work. The peroxide sounds like a good idea, but do I use only peroxide...or do I just add it to water? I've got a buddy at the coal mine where I work who has those "flesh eating beatles"...but he charges quite a bit. Thanks again for the advice...hopefully you guys will check back soon and answer my latest question.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 08:58AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 08:57?AM (MST)

Wrap it in gauze and put in a bowl of peroxide. The guaze will help keep the peroxide wicked up on all parts. Leave it in peroxide for a week and check back. You can get stronger peroxide(40%) at a beauty supply store. When you do the original boil I have found using arm & hammer laundry detergent really breaks down the oils in meat and bone making it easier to get meat off(simmer for several hours)
Good Luck
D

boil it with water. and peroxide to water. Go to a chem shop get peroxide from them it's alot stronger. should only take a hour.

I have a good Beetle colony. I wouldn't charge you anything if you want them to clean it. I know they could have it cleaned fast if you still need it done.
They do good work.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom