book cliffs muzzloader deer

2kuduhunter

partner drew this tag, any info or help would be appreciated. pm if needed. thanks in advance. 2kh

He'll have a great time seeing hundreds of bucks, but don't expect much as far as quality goes.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

its funny to me how you only get responses from both ends of the spectrum about the book cliffs. Obviously every unit for deer in Utah is compared to the Henry's. There are a ton of deer in the books, but becuase the bigger bucks are harder to find, the unit is classified as not having good quality.. Then you have the people who are not really concerned with inches, who think the unit is god's greatest creation. You will see probably close to 100 bucks a day. What gets better than that? If you hunt hard and get away from the roads, your chances for a bigger buck increase IMO. The deer are in a bit of a transition state, so I wouldn't try to pattern a deer, since they tend to be on the move, however, the weather will play a part in that too IMO. Drop the hammer on the one that gets your blood racing and have a celebration at the camp fire that night. You will have a great time. I may be biased or jealous because I got the "UN" on my letter for the same hunt with 6 points..

I got the big UN for bow with 6 non-resident points. I have already resorted to the stick and string to increase my odds but by the looks of the draw odds, I still have a long way to go even when the most points for bow in '08 was 8 points.

It would be nice if Utah would micro-manage the whole state into smaller units instead of a handful of limited entry and general units.

I drew a nr archery tag and it is very interesting the comments I keep getting as I talk to different people about the area. I have never been in the area so I have been frantically doing research as I did not think I had a chance for the tag. The one consistent thing people say is "You will see lots of bucks" or " you will see a least 50 bucks a day or your in the wrong area" But as far as quality goes it is all over the place with answers. So far It sounds like if your looking to kill a 190-200" buck then the quality is hard to come by but if a 160-170" buck will fit your fancy they are around just not behind every tree. This quality thing is interesting. Some are only interested in buck score to define quality and others are looking at the hunt and experience. I don't think either is right or wrong it just is interesting to here the different points of view. I am not really into score as much as I am into if I like it I will try to take it.

Good luck in your hunts.

DMCHunter, how many NR points did you have when you drew?

I am with you, quality is a relative term. I am all about seeing tons of bucks with the occassional wall hanger. Tons of game really helps out with opportunity with the archery equipment. Yes, 170 is a wall hanger in my book b/c I have taken one that big yet.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom