Book Cliffs Muzzy Hunt

Muley1414

Looking for any info regarding the deer migrating on the Books. A couple forums are claiming they migrate off the top around the same time the muzzy hunt starts.

I’ve been down a few times and located a few bucks on top just curious what the consensus is whether they will still be there the last week in September. Any info from your experiences would be great! Thanks!

The numbers down there are bad. I’ve seen less deer down there this year than ever.. now to answer your question. Most the deer will be traveling off the top going north to their winter grounds. not all of them but most.. lots of cedars between the top and lower lands. It’s tuff hunting them cedars. Like I said Good luck to you. Hopefully you will get lucky.

The numbers down there are bad. I’ve seen less deer down there this year than ever.. now to answer your question. Most the deer will be traveling off the top going north to their winter grounds. not all of them but most.. lots of cedars between the top and lower lands. It’s tuff hunting them cedars. Like I said Good luck to you. Hopefully you will get lucky.
Thanks! Appreciate the input!

It has been 10 years since I had the tag and I know it is not as good now as it was then. The oaks are what trigger the migration. I got this info from Garth Carter, former owner of Huntin' Fool and former game warden in the books. He said you can almost set your watch to it. It happens about October 15th. There were plenty of deer up top. They are hard horned and a lot tougher to find than in the archery hunt

It has been 10 years since I had the tag and I know it is not as good now as it was then. The oaks are what trigger the migration. I got this info from Garth Carter, former owner of Huntin' Fool and former game warden in the books. He said you can almost set your watch to it. It happens about October 15th. There were plenty of deer up top. They are hard horned and a lot tougher to find than in the archery
A Couple Years ago They Were Parading 16"-18" 4 Points around in the Back of Their Rigs like They Were Some Kinda GAWD-DAMNED Trophies!

Best Of Luck!

I Hope You Find a Decent Buck or Two to Hunt!
I’ve definitely seen my fair share of those down there. Just about everywhere you look to be exact.

I’m a realist, I know that 180+ deer are few and far between down there. I would just like to find a respectable deer that I am happy with.

I’m curious with the hunt being a few days later this year how it will affect the hunts.

It has been 10 years since I had the tag and I know it is not as good now as it was then. The oaks are what trigger the migration. I got this info from Garth Carter, former owner of Huntin' Fool and former game warden in the books. He said you can almost set your watch to it. It happens about October 15th. There were plenty of deer up top. They are hard horned and a lot tougher to find than in the archery hunt
What do the Oaks do that Trigger the Migration?

I drove across the divide road a couple weeks ago about 5PM. There's no water in any of the ponds I saw and we saw ZERO deer. Saw one buck by the top of Cedar Camp Mesa. I've had cams out since April scouting for bison. Got pics of 1 buck on Rock Springs Mesa all summer. Other than that, all the deer I've seen or got on camera are lower already, lower than I've ever seen them this time of year.

My Dad had the muzzleloader tag last season and he killed a decent buck. We spent a lot of time scouting areas on the unit that are harder to access and had no problem turning up a lot of deer, but most of the bucks were young. We saw one buck that would have went high 180s maybe 190 and 4 that were around the 180 mark. After the opener and the weekend there was very little pressure. Definitely grind it out until the end.

I had the tag last year as well. There were plenty of deer up top still. Bigger bucks were hard to find, but they are there. There is a lot more water than you think out there but it is not always where you think it is. I killed a good buck, in my book, but it all depends on your expectations. Have a good hunt, you should have a fun time.

I drove across the divide road a couple weeks ago about 5PM. There's no water in any of the ponds I saw and we saw ZERO deer. Saw one buck by the top of Cedar Camp Mesa. I've had cams out since April scouting for bison. Got pics of 1 buck on Rock Springs Mesa all summer. Other than that, all the deer I've seen or got on camera are lower already, lower than I've ever seen them this time of year.
I also drove the divide road on July 16th in the evening. I saw probably 35 bucks most of which were 16-20” deer.

All the ponds are full now, the storms over the last week have fill everything. I've not personally been out there, but have seen pictures from others that have.

I had the tag last year as well. There were plenty of deer up top still. Bigger bucks were hard to find, but they are there. There is a lot more water than you think out there but it is not always where you think it is. I killed a good buck, in my book, but it all depends on your expectations. Have a good hunt, you should have a fun time.
Would that be a Books buck in your avatar?

I had the tag last year as well, a trophy out there is a 160 type frame 3x4 or 2x4 or 2x2. The genetics on that unit are not good, but to most guys in Utah those are trophy's. There will still be plenty of bucks up high and plenty of hunters to. Hopefully your not looking for something nicer than that because you wont find it down there. Sorry to be a downer but those are the facts. I was sorry that I wasted 12 points on the unit!

What do the Oaks do that Trigger the Migration?
Honestly I would be guessing. I suspect maybe a food source and certainly better cover. It is when the oaks drop their leaves that the migration starts. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the migration happened at the same time. I can say for sure there were plenty of deer on the oak covered hillsides. This is the buck I killed on my hunt.

Book Cliffs Buck.jpg

Last edited:
I Remember Your Buck Like it was Yesterday DH!

It Was Nice Running in to You & Your Wife!

And GAWKING at Your Buck!

I Thought it Was Your Wife's Buck Though?

Honestly I would be guessing. I suspect maybe a food source and certainly better cover. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the migration happened at the same time. I can say for sure there were plenty of deer on the oak covered hillsides. This is the buck I killed on my hunt.

View attachment 49789

Archery there at the top, muzzy time just off the top not too far away was what I was told and experienced. Scout the days before with glasses to narrow your search.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom