Book Cliffs Roadless

acafton

My wife has enough points that she is competitive in drawing the ML hunt in this unit. We are non-residents and have always put in for a unit that we know better, but the quality of animals has tanked in that unit. We have stock and would like a back country type hunt. Anyone that would be open to sharing some info on the unit... especially if you have hunted the ML hunt in the past few years please PM me. Thanks in advance...

If you hunt hard it is very possible to get an outstanding trophy down there. It is a great hunt. Be prepared to encounter a few bears though.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

had rifle tag last year have ben in this unit sinse 1984 the qaulity is gone. i went in a week early scouted hard hunted hard. shot the biggest bull i seen in 2weeks 350. class every thing else was 330 or smaller. even some people shot 5 points to fill tag . on the 20 other bulls i saw took out of this unit. saw one guy who went out empty said he did not wait 18 years to shoot 320 bull . my buddy had muzzzy tag turned in .said he did not wait 15 years to sooot a 300 class bull.lots luck .would not do muzzy hunt on this unit have seen that many big bulls come out on this tag.

I guess everybody thinks if they wait 12-15 years for a tag it's an automatic 400 class bull? Even on LE hunts elk hunting is still elk hunting. I think the future for LE hunts in the state is going to be 300-320" the rate they are going.

And yes be prepared for bears.

gon4elk - I don't know where in my post anything indicated that expectations were present for your "automatic" 400 class bull. I believe I asked for information from any individuals who had hunted it in the past that would be kind enough to share. Again, the hunt is for my wife who has no desire to brag about score to her buddies, or the folks like you on monstermuleys. She is interested in spending some time with our mules on a back country hunt with the chance to harvest a mature bull. Newsflash.....A bull doesn't need to be 400 to be a mature bull in most peoples eyes. In fact she would be pleased with your "small" 320 bulls. For those of you who gave quality information with the intent of helping I greatly appreciate it. Things do change year to year and without the opportunity to scout each year it is hard to keep tabs on the status of units. Again thanks in advance for any honest information.

if this what you want come in from south side easy access to trail head .buddy did it with bow last year .back packed in 2 miles killed nice 323 bull. just find water in canyon sit bugle .it is good unit to call in 300 class bulls.

I hunted the bittercreek unit last year, but spent some time right on the roadless border. I also think the quality has dropped off some from previous years, but it is still a good unit to hunt 300-330 bulls with a few bigger ones. It can be a fun hunt, as long as you do not mind seeing a few bears and are willing to work hard and cover some ground.

I really like hunting big bulls, but also see nothing wrong with chasing anything over 300, if that is what the unit holds. I think others just wanted you to be aware that the unit may not be producing the 340+ bulls as it has in the past.

+1 on approaching it from the south side. I know guys who live in Roosevelt who drive all the way around because it is that much better of a trail.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I've been in the roadless from both north and south. Access from the south can be a little difficult if there are any major rain or snow storms. Although, that can be said from the north as well.

I killed my bull in the roadless a number of years ago and I have to say it was right up there as one of my best hunts. Lots and lots of elk that will keep you up at night and as mentioned bears too (keep your food stored high and away from camp). We called in bulls right into camp. One morning we were riding down a ridge and a couple bulls started running towards us (we must have looked like some ugly cows).

The roadless unit has alot more aspen and pines than the roaded bookcliffs, which gives you more of an alpine type hunt. You won't go wrong on this hunt if your in it for a fun, rewarding, remote experience.

Smokepole

Went on an archery hunt with a friend last year. Called in numerous 320 class bulls. He ended up with a 330+ bull on his 4th day hunting. I've been in from both ends. Depending on where you want to hunt. The trail from the south end is better but the road is narrow as heck, and if there was a big rain.....you might be hunting till they get a new road built. On the other hand its 70+ miles of dirt from the north and the trail is good except for maybe 1/2 mile and there's nothing wrong with it other than its a little steep, but if your hunting the roadless everything is steep except for the bottoms. If you want a truly outdoor type experience with being able to see tons of elk, bears, some deer. This is a great hunt. And you never have to worry about feed for your horses or mules because its waist deep. I love the roadless

AS far as I am concerned, the Book Cliffs are no different than they always have been. Over the years there are a few stray upper 300 bulls, and the 'Skoronski bull" but that was never the norm. 320 to 330 is what is has always been. Nothing has changed. You get lucky youll get a 350 or better.

@acafton - I drew this tag back in 2009 and we went in on horses. I've been hunting since i was old enough to walk and trust me the roadless area has been by far the best hunt I've ever been on. The country is remote, you don't have idiots on four wheelers to lazy to get off and chase any animals, and not to mention the country is just amazing. We saw about 14 different bulls in the 4-5 days we were there. Two of which that were over 350. The bull I ended up with scored 371. Here is the picture http://www.myrockymountainhunting.com/2009/09/blog-post.html also the scouting trip http://www.myrockymountainhunting.com/2009/06/bookcliffs-roadless-trip.html

If you are looking for a great time with not all the crowd in gorgeous country then I would suggest the book cliffs roadless. As for the size of the elk, people watch too many mossback videos, there are a lot of big bulls out there but not as many as they think. I've hunted Dutton as well and it took work to find a larger bull. Don't get caught up in the hype that Utah is only full of 400+ bulls cause out of the few thousand tags each year only a small percentage are B&C bulls.

Good luck!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom