Book Cliffs Roads question

H

heffe

If I am coming from the south, through Moab, what is the best route to the Divide road? Can I access the lower country from the divide or should I take a different route.

Best place to gas up and get ice. etc before heading into the unit?

Sorry, but I have never been there and and super excited to draw a tag for the North side after trying for a lot of years.

Thanks

Thompson springs gas station and convenience store is the closest you will buy anything to the books on the south end coming via moab. I would buy my stuff in moab though. You drive through the low country to get to the divide road. Very few roads drop down from the top to access the in between ground. For road access it's all low or high, no in between. Hay canyon takes you to the top @ the divide. You exit I-70 @ Harley dome exit to take hay canyon to the top. Their is another road to the east of Hay that gets on top as well. I've never taken it, so don't know what to say about it. You didn't say where you wanted to get to specifically on the books, so their could be a better route for your needs than Hay canyon.

Thanks!

I will be hunting the north unit on the late hunt.

I assume I will be wanting to get into the transitional areas between summer and winter range. I don't know any specific areas yet, I just starting to look at maps / google earth.

Thanks again.

The other road is called East canyon. I took that route about a year ago. It was in good shape then and seemed to have had a lot of traffic.

Bowhunted the Books for elk in 2010. Coming from Indiana, got my last minute supplies and fuel in Colorado...so no help there.

I did drive both Hay Canyon Road and East Canyon Road though.
Took Hay Canyon Road in and left on East Canyon Road.

Hay Canyon Road was decent, but narrow. I was towing a 10ft trailer up the grade and glad I did not run into anyone towing a trailer down the grade. Could have been a tight squeeze at the very least.

East Canyon Road was wider and much better maintained. I would recommend using this road to access the Books from the south.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Paul

Take an extra spare tire. That country seems to eat up rubber and it's a long way to Grand Junction to have one fixed! I know via experience.

Hay Canyon is well used. It's narrow enough for just one vehicle in many places, but it doesn't make the climb to the top in as short of a distance as East Canyon, so it's not got the steep stuff.

East Canyon places you smack dab in the middle of the Books on top. It's a better road IMO and I have driven it a few times. There are some 'steeper' parts, butIve seen trailers coming and going.

There's also San Arroyo Canyon further east, but it's got switchbacks throughout and I would not recommend it for anyone towing anything.

A spare tire is a must. Chains are highly advisable as well. If it gets wet while you're up there, you will be glad you had them. 4 if you can swing it. If something should happen while you are in there, heading north to Roosevelt is your best option. The new Highway (Seep Ridge Road) would make for a safe, fast drive if necessary.

Congrats on the tag. I still haven't seen a hit on my card. I put in for the Multi Season Hunt, giving up a guaranteed rifle tag with 11 points... Starting to wonder about that choice

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thanks everyone.

Now to order some maps, buy a spare wheel/tire and new 7mag brass.

>Take an extra spare tire.
>That country seems to eat
>up rubber and it's a
>long way to Grand Junction
>to have one fixed!
>I know via experience.

X2 great advice... Been there done that

Do you think it would be faster, even though more miles, to just go around to Seep Ridge road instead of going up and over from the south?

No, heffe. Going around to Seep Ridge is way, way out of the way. It is literally hours farther to go around to it. You would have to drive 3 hours or more out of your way to drive around to Seep Ridge Road.

Hay Canyon and East Canyon are great access points.

Browningrage, if you really had 11 points it looks like you was one of the unlucky guys that didn't draw as 6 of the 8 guys that put in for that tag with 11 points drew. including 2 of them that got regular permits.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Yep Jake, that's exactly what I'm seeing... I just had no luck this year. Last year I was one of the unlucky guys that didn't draw a South Unit tag with 10 points, and then this year with 11 points I didn't get the multi-season. Sucky.

I'm hoping its a blessing in disguise somehow. Maybe there's a 30" 3-point in my future off the Paunsy.

Plus 3 on the extra spare tire, as well as four tire chains. The weather can change when it's not suppose to. Do not venture into this area with just ?Ok? tires. I would also bring a can of instant flat tire fix and a pump. Also, make sure all belts and hoses are excellent or replace them. New roll of duct tape too. Those rocks are razor sharp. Have had flat tires on the truck, horse trailer, belt gone and radiator hose got a hole too. Make sure your truck is in the best shape you can make it.

It's a very big headache to have mechanical problem out there plus a very long way to get things fixed.

It's a fantastic place but don't go unprepared.

Good Luck.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom