Book/Video Recommendations

BillyLif27

What other books or videos do I need to add to the shelf? Live or dead record books of mule deer, elk, etc. Don’t want hunting videos, too much ego!
IMG_6906.jpeg

Not hunting books, but a couple of my favorites are. 1984, the octopus of global control, and confessions of an economic hit man. They are all very good in my opinion.

Also interested in sheep. The only book I currently have is “Return of Royalty”
I like any of Jack O Connor's books, (and have most of them) especially Sheep and Sheep Hunting, The Best of Jack O Connor. etc. You need to get them used on Amazon if you want them. Some are a compilation of his magazine articles about his hunts. I think he is pretty entertaining.
Sheep Hunts: One man's Journey's to the High Country Paul Carter is also very good. Also a book I read on Kindle "The Man Called Red" about Red Sorensen and how he became an outfitter/guide in BC is a great read if you can get through the early chapters.

Nebraska's bucks and bull's is a good book..you'll see why some people think Nebraska is a real sleeper state for mule deer

Val Geist "Mule Deer Country" is a must for any mule deer hunter- even the ones who can't read as there are some nice pics.
Pat McManus books are always a good edition to a book shelf.

Val Geist "Mule Deer Country" is a must for any mule deer hunter- even the ones who can't read as there are some nice pics.
I have a copy of that actually. Not sure on the different editions though. I see the cover changes on some copies

I really like Russel Annabel Adventure Series. Unfortunately I only have less than half the set left. They don’t seem to come back when you lend them out.
I just started “The Beast the Color of Winter “ It’s about Mtn. Goats. So far good.

Anything wrote by Patrick F. McManus. Humorous stories centered around the outdoors that will have you in tears from laughter. " The Grasshopper Trap" and "They shoot canoes don't they?" to name a couple.

The Comfort Crisis

Not a hunting book, per se, but a pretty epic caribou hunt sets the tone and is the understory of the whole deal. It’s pretty decent.

Purchased 2 of his books after seeing this. Very light comical reading. Good short stories.
Thanks

Use to read a lot as a kid. Then got busy in life. Been reading more lately. Really like books comprised of short stories about 10 pages long. Enjoyable to read in morning as you enjoy a cup of coffee, help time pass on exercise bike, or siting by the wood stove.

That Cam Hanes book is pretty good. I don't know him thru his vids or whatever social media so not prejudiced against him.

Hanes might have the writing skills of a grammatically challenged 5th grader, but there’s no doubt he’s not afraid to keep hammering 🔨🔨🔨 the self promotion, regardless he’s a positive voice as far as hunting goes with the main stream audience these days.

IMG_7579.jpeg

As a follow up, I want to pass along that I just finished reading the book Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G O Young.
I have to say it was a great read, and if you are at all interested in the history of hunting in the North Country, you will enjoy this book.
It took place in 1919 and the incredible grit and endurance of the men of that expedition and the people of that era, make us all look like wussies. I will gladly lend the book to anyone willing to PM me and come pick it up. It can also be purchased online for a pretty reasonable price.
Happy reading.

As a follow up, I want to pass along that I just finished reading the book Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G O Young.
I have to say it was a great read, and if you are at all interested in the history of hunting in the North Country, you will enjoy this book.
It took place in 1919 and the incredible grit and endurance of the men of that expedition and the people of that era, make us all look like wussies. I will gladly lend the book to anyone willing to PM me and come pick it up. It can also be purchased online for a pretty reasonable price.
Happy reading.
I’m happy you liked it, that book is one of the best hunting adventures ever written. I just sold all the Lion books. Some people have asked why are you selling your books. I have read them all at least one time several of them twice. I have more that I will pull out of storage and put on the forum, I am selling them all at a fair price from buyer.. I don’t want to die with all these books in boxes in storage

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom