Booking Africa at the Utah hunt expo?

sniper14

I'm really considering booking my first hunting trip to Africa for my wife and I, and I'm wondering if the utah hunt expo is the place to start the booking, or if there is a better way. We are just thinking a plains game package. Thanks in advance.

Check references. I almost booked there one year and then called the references and found it was a horrible experience.

The croc hunt was a caged croc that they dumped into a cement "pond" for the guy to shoot. Then they threw a grappling hook and dragged the dead croc out with a winch.

Another guy said he went on his sable hunt and they literally unloaded the sables from a horse trailer in a pen and told him to shoot one.

That outfitter had bragged that he booked more hunts at the Hunt Expo than any other expo he did anywhere in the world. He has a good booth and great "Show Specials" though so I almost fell for it.

I don't remember the company name, just be careful.

SCI Show is awesome. Too bad it's not in Vegas this year.

There is a few good outfits there but a bunch I would stay away from. There is no show that does not have good and bad outfits there not even the main sci or dsc show is all good ones. With the internet the shows are not the only to book a trip. You want some ideas send me a Pm I maybe able to help.

Check references. I almost booked there one year and then called the references and found it was a horrible experience.

The croc hunt was a caged croc that they dumped into a cement "pond" for the guy to shoot. Then they threw a grappling hook and dragged the dead croc out with a winch.

Another guy said he went on his sable hunt and they literally unloaded the sables from a horse trailer in a pen and told him to shoot one.

That outfitter had bragged that he booked more hunts at the Hunt Expo than any other expo he did anywhere in the world. He has a good booth and great "Show Specials" though so I almost fell for it.

I watched a couple you tube videos with croc hunts that looked like totally canned hunts. A half acre man made pond that looked like they had one croc in them that was caught somewhere else and dumped in a day or week before the client arrived.

i watched some other videos of what I am guessing were pen raised lions that were released hours or maybe a day or two before the clients arrival and then the so called guides and hunter casually track them down for a bit and there is your lion laying in the shade for a 30 yard shot.

Very disturbing!!!

Do not support these businesses in any way, shape or form!!!

We got the idea to do Africa a few years ago and spent all day talking to Outfitters at the expo. If you are going to the expo anyway I am sure you will get plenty of info. Our wives were not as excited about the trip as we were so we ended up fishing in Hawaii instead.

I know a guy.......seriously my buddy for 25 years, my wife and I have gone numerous times. He has access to many properties with plains game to cape buffalo. www.besthunt.co.za
I hope he gives you better pricing then his package offer. That is way over priced for those animals and days and then hunting 2x1 on top of it.

I know a few good trustworthy outfitters that go to the Western show. But all depends on what you are looking for.

Here is some ideas on what to ask when talking to outfitters for your first hunt:

I have been on several guided hunts, both stateside, Canada, and 3 times to Africa. My number one recommendation would be to check references, as many as you can. Check Africanhunting.com and accuratereloading.com (I much prefer accuratereloading as it has no paid sponsorships and no special interest towards specific outfits). Do a search on the outfitter, on AR and you will find those that hunted there.

Do not only settle for the references the outfitter or booking agent provides. Use google and a reputable site to research the outfitter.

There are too many excellent outfitters out there. Do not settle for a marginal or “too good to be true” hunt.

I would be careful about going to a show, banquet, etc. and booking/bidding w/o checking references.
Africa is an incredible experience, and there are many great safari outfits. The level of service, quantity/quality of game, and value for your money is way ahead of North America.
I would look at the websites already mentioned (africahunting.com & accuratereloading.com) - and stick with the safari outfitters that consistently get high reviews - not difficult to find.
South Africa is pretty much all high fence... if you want to hunt wild Africa, your going to pay quite a bit more and probably take less animals. I've had great hunts in South Africa with a little research.

Did you end up booking a hunt and if so who did you go with?

There are definitely plenty of good African outfitters at the Expo. I have hunted with a few, and also hunted Africa with many others that don't come to the Expo. It is important to know the type of hunting experience you want, and not to focus simply on price. Some of my early trips were not what I was really expecting, but still had a great time.
I will be going back again in the spring, I think it will be my 14th or 15th trip. I like to try out different countries and outfits in Africa, which just adds to the adventure. I've only really been unhappy once, and I saw the warning signs before I went, and decided to gamble anyway.
Ask if you have questions here before the Expo. It helps to focus your search, and I don't mean on a specific outfit, but simply to clarify what you want.
I often tell people that if a foreigner wanted to hunt deer in the US, he could be recommended such different hunts as whitetail in Florida, Maine, Ohio, Texas, Montana or Arizona. None are inherently better than the other, but that is 6 very different hunts that I listed above, and you better know the difference before you book. Hunting even just within RSA is about as varied.

Good luck. A first trip to Africa is very special.
Bill

Do you guys who think references are so important really believe it. Do you think any references they give you to call will be bad. Unless your digging up people who have hunted the place your looking at they are useless other to get basic info. The best thing you can do is know what you want ask questions that if you get the answer you can tell bs from truth.

Ask questions you know the answers to and see if they match up. Very easy to see if a guy lies to you from the start, he will keep it up and should not be trusted. I love asking guys about what size animals you may get to hunt. there is alot of truth that can be found in there answers if you have done your homework.

Yes I do believe references are important but not altogether the deciding factor for making a decision. I do not think the outfitter will give bad references but those you do receive, can give you an idea of accommodations, food, lodging info, from their perspective.

The best information is from researching other sites and see what others are saying. It’s not too hard to find the crooks.

I agree with you about asking the right questions. There are a lot of lies out there. It’s too bad as there are some excellent Outfitters as well.

Did you end up booking a hunt and if so who did you go with?
Not yet, we're going to DSC in a few weeks so maybe then.

I want a croc and buffalo and my dad wants a leopard so we're trying to find somewhere that can do well on all of those. Possibly Mozambique, I've heard?

I want a croc and buffalo and my dad wants a leopard so we're trying to find somewhere that can do well on all of those. Possibly Mozambique, I've heard?
Mozambique is where I’d look first. However, I’m just going off my own research. Hopefully, those that have good experience hunting it will offer you great advice.
Let us know how the DSC show goes. I’ve been to SCI but have heard DSC is better.

I would check in with mokore safaris. I hunt moz with them this year. I just hunt plains game but another hunter in camp took a 15Ft plus croc and a 46 inch buff. They also hunt zim and that maybe better for the leopard. Great area and a outfit that has proven history. I think doug from mokore will be at dsc

I would check in with mokore safaris. I hunt moz with them this year. I just hunt plains game but another hunter in camp took a 15Ft plus croc and a 46 inch buff. They also hunt zim and that maybe better for the leopard. Great area and an outfit that has proven history. I think doug from mokore will be at dsc
I have heard nothing but great reports about Mokore. From what I’ve seen from their advertised rates and hunt packages, they seemed very well priced.

I would certainly take Bills advice.

Some general comments here. I have been lucky enough to hunt Africa 5 times, and enjoyed every trip. Namibia, Zim, and RSA , so do take them for what you want. All trips are affordable, but do require budgeting. Look at Total Cost, over about a 3 year period. Make sure you have some disposable income and have the blessing of your other half. I know of several splits over hunting safari's.

Hunt and trophy fees are about 50%, dipping and packing, and shipping another 25%, and finally your taxidermy of choice (euro, shoulder and rugs, or life size) will be whatever you decide. There will a huge temptation to shoot extra animals you encounter. Some are no-brainers, when it may be a world class trophy. Maybe you won't like it enough to go back (doubtful :) )

While DSC, SCI, and the Expo will have outfitters present there are other choices also. The ISE shows in Denver or SLC will have a lot of second tier African outfitters. Many don't want to spend the big buck of advertising that DSC and SCI charge, so other shows offer them more bang for their buck. Some really good deals can be had with smaller, more personal hunts. Look to local SCI or hunting org chapter banquets for donated hunts, but be careful there.

As always, the more references, reports , personal conversations the better. Craig Boddington Endorsed Outfitters has some good reviews of hundreds of outfitters.

When deciding on your list of animals, figure out priorities. While some areas may have a lot of all species, many won't. Those may have to be high fenced and/or bought (put/take) trophies. Once travel gets thrown in to several different areas, costs go up.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There is nothing like a first African safari and you deserve to make it as special as possible!!!

Great stuff guys. Thanks for taking the time to share info. Buffalo is on the short list for sure!

Great stuff guys. Thanks for taking the time to share info. Buffalo is on the short list for sure!
I would tell you when your ready contact Pieter delport for hunt in caprvi or Gary or doug duckworth at mokore safaris for moz or zim.

Yes! Thanks for the advice guys!

I am booked for a first time trip in May. Hunting SA in a high fence property but it is roughly the size of Antelope island so fingers crossed for a great trip. If I bring home a couple good heads, I want to be proud of them.

Here is why Africa is looking better all the time.

I will probably draw my next LE deer hunt in utah around 50 years from now, about the time I will be celebrating my 113th birthday!!!

One thing I would suggest. Add a couple more days to the trip if you can. There is more to safari than just fly in, shoot a bunch of sh*t, and fly home. That makes us as bad as the guided hunters we ***** about here in the Forum. Interact with the people and families, take a day to sightsee or do a park. Go to a carvers market or roadside stand for some underpriced art, for the wife, rather than the commercial crap in the airport.

My wife loves Africa as much as I do. She especially loves the savanna with acacia's, and giraffes. My son is a professional photographer and has been trying to get her the perfect picture for 20 years to hang in our home. He nailed it in Tanzania this year!!!

IMG_5713.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes! Thanks for the advice guys!

I am booked for a first time trip in May. Hunting SA in a high fence property but it is roughly the size of Antelope island so fingers crossed for a great trip. If I bring home a couple good heads, I want to be proud of them.

Here is why Africa is looking better all the time.

I will probably draw my next LE deer hunt in utah around 50 years from now, about the time I will be celebrating my 113th birthday!!!
For sure trying to get a good elk or deer tag even a pronghorn tage is so hard anymore. It is what keeps me going back to africa.

Who are you hunting in SA with?

For sure trying to get a good elk or deer tag even a pronghorn tage is so hard anymore. It is what keeps me going back to africa.

Who are you hunting in SA with?
Schoongezicht, I mentioned this on another post but looking forward to it. Tanzania or another country will have to wait for the next trip

I found a place in Zim you might be interested in. My friend just booked a leopard hunt there. I am chatting about ele and some other stuff there. It is one of the most reasonably priced leopard hunts I have seen with a reputable outfitter. There is leopard, ele, buff, croc and hippo here as well as a few species of PG. Happy to pass along contact info if you want. This outfitter is small and does not come to DSC or SCI.

I'm really considering booking my first hunting trip to Africa for my wife and I, and I'm wondering if the utah hunt expo is the place to start the booking, or if there is a better way. We are just thinking a plains game package. Thanks in advance.
There are some amazing outfitters who will be at the Expo and a couple that I would not recommend to my worst enemy! I could pass along a name or two of places where I would take my spouse. Gather the info, talk to some people, etc. You don’t have to book it there but at least meet the outfitter and open the conversation. I love hunting Africa more than any other place and excited to be headed back in a couple of months. It is addicting. You will be planning your return trip before you leave to come home from the first trip. I have hunted in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana and they are all amazing in their own way. There are some really unsavory places as well so do your homework. One particular outfitter in SLC takes a ton of Utah hunters and some have an okay time because they don’t know anything different but if you have been before and go to this place it will be nothing but a let down. Happy to pass along info if you have an interest.

I found a place in Zim you might be interested in. My friend just booked a leopard hunt there. I am chatting about ele and some other stuff there. It is one of the most reasonably priced leopard hunts I have seen with a reputable outfitter. There is leopard, ele, buff, croc and hippo here as well as a few species of PG. Happy to pass along contact info if you want. This outfitter is small and does not come to DSC or SCI.
That would be great, thanks

I had a friend who thought he had found a great deal in zim for alll that stuff to. He had a friend who went first and to say it was terrible was and under statement. After the first gut went he decide to just not go and loose the 6000 he paid. The other guy was out well over 20,000 and got 3 plains game animals never saw a leopard he could take at the bait. Zim is not a place to take chance. Place even had a few refernce

I had a friend who thought he had found a great deal in zim for alll that stuff to. He had a friend who went first and to say it was terrible was and under statement. After the first gut went he decide to just not go and loose the 6000 he paid. The other guy was out well over 20,000 and got 3 plains game animals never saw a leopard he could take at the bait. Zim is not a place to take chance. Place even had a few refernce
I will respectfully agree to disagree. There are a lot of great places in Zim to take a leopard and some amazing PH’s to hunt with. The outfitter I am talking is what I would consider reasonably priced for a leopard hunt in todays market, it’s not a discounted hunt.

Just practice your due diligence when talking with the folks in the booth, and understand offerings and contract items. Make sure you are talking to the outfitter or business partner. Be very wary of guaranties!! It's hunting, and all they can do is their best try.

Plenty of booths are manned by past clients (usually local) who talk up a great deal, but aren't authorized to actually conduct business. Most big name, high dollar, well reputed operations have earned their dues. You'd be surprised how much you will be provided for free, once on site. Medium tier operators may have great deals, either thru luck/family/connections, but just haven't earned the reps yet. Low cost, or super discounted hunts can sometimes be on leased properties which can change on a moments notice. Smaller quotas can fill early and the one animal you wanted (and paid for) is no longer available!! All the impala in the country doesn't make up for the kudu or sable you were promised, but can't shoot now.

I will respectfully agree to disagree. There are a lot of great places in Zim to take a leopard and some amazing PH’s to hunt with. The outfitter I am talking is what I would consider reasonably priced for a leopard hunt in todays market, it’s not a discounted hunt.
Not saying it is your guy just saying what has happened to 2 friends I know. They found a local Black Ph who sold them a long story and even had some hunters as reference. Only to get there find a poached out over hunted area and had a last minute fill in Ph. As soon as he told me what he would pay if he took all the animals I knew the deal was bs. Your going to zim and hunt a leopard lion elephant buff and hippo plus maybe Plains game for 50,000 not happening. There is some great Ph in zim and some who will stick it to you is all I am saying.

Just be aware that with dangerous game hunts, and especially leopards, you often get what you pay for. Many are the leopard hunters who’ve been on 3-5 leopard hunts and yet to shoot their first leopard. There are first rate leopard hunts in great areas with top notch PH’s, but those hunts are seldom bargains. An expensive leopard hunt where you kill a cat first time is less expensive than multiple cheap hunts where you fail to have a shot at a mature Tom.

If was booking another leopard hunt, I’d find the PH I wanted to hunt with and trust him to put it together, and pay whatever he said it was gonna cost. I’d be looking for a best cat hunter, not the best deal with whomever. The list of top notch leopard PH’s is not real long, IMO.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom