Books Roadless Questions

30inchbuck

Questions on the roadless area and horses. What is the access route? North out of Thompson on Sego Road? Or on Ridge Road?

Thinking of a summer trail ride in there. How is the road or roads? Trailhead areas? Feed for horses? Water by trailhead? Just need some info from guys that ride in there so mainly for taking care of horses. Have a LQ trailer so want to stay at trailhead then ride in and check things out.

Should be able to get an elk tag in there in the next couple of years. Getting close anyways.

Just dont want to waste a weekend looking for access, then another weekend for riding. Summer has limited weekends anyways.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

I've been at both trailheads. going up Sego can be a little rough. You drive up the bottom of the river bed so you have to navagate a few rocks. Once on top you can find a spot to set up. Going in from the north on Seep Ridge is a long drive and probably a little better road. Again you can find a spot to set up at the trailhead. Either trailhead can get you into the roadless area and you should be able to find elk going either way.

When I took my bull in the roadless we went in from Sego due to where we wanted to camp and to be by a spring for the animals to water.

Smokepole

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-11 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]I second what SP said. A longer (6 place or a 4 with living qrtrs) horse trailer would be tough to navigate Sego. After a good thunderstorm some of the raod may be washed out too if they haven't graded it. Plenty of feed in the canyon bottoms but at the trailhead pretty bleak for feed later in the year. We were there in Mid-May bear hunting and it was just greening up.

Plenty of ticks but a great place to ride.

Steve

@Gon4elk, how did your bear hunting go? I have wondered about that tag...

Back to the orginal question. Not really any good water sources at the 10 Mile Trailhead. There is an old bathtub with water at the Sego Trailhead. I think Sego would lend itself more to dayrides, pretty steep climbs in and out coming from 10 mile. Could be tough to get a big trailer in there though. Sure you will have a good time on either end.

We spend a lot of time in the roadless area every year and have gone in from both ends. As for me - I hate the 10 mile knoll trail. There is no water until you get to the bottom of the canyon. Feed is a little better than the south, but it wouldn't take many horses to wipe that out. The trail is steep and going in and out every day would be very tough on the horses.

The Sego Canyon trailhead is much better. There is a gravity fed water trough just outside the parking area. Feed is very scarce however - you should plan on bringing your own if you stay at the trailhead. The road up can be a bit tough - especially after a rain but usually dries out pretty quick. We navigate the road with a 5 horse trailer (with a tack room) without too much difficulty. Once on top there is plenty of room for camping, though it does get very crowded during the rifle hunt.

One last thing to consider. If you plan on camping at the trailhead and hunting out each day, you have about a 2 mile ride across the Reservation before you can begin hunting and then a couple miles to the better areas. On the north, you can start hunting right out of the parking area, but you are still several miles from the better hunting areas.

Good luck when you do draw. The roadless area is an awesome place.

Jon
www.DoubleCGuides.com
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

@Big Medicine - Bear hunt was good. Second year in a row we've been in there for bears. I should have the tag next year as I will now have 10 pnts.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom