Bored of rifles-give a starter some info!

D

dutch

Hey guys,
I'm seriously considering coming over from 'the dark side' of rifle hunting. Just tired of it anymore and not excited about it.
I was at my cousins and he was showing me a nice 5x5 he took with a bow in New mexico this last year and talking about how big of a rush it is.
So, any good info on what kind of bow and how much I should spend for my first one? I think I'll try to find a good used one but just no clue what to look for. Hoping to get going this spring but depends on my finances, could be one more year.

dutch
http://coloradohuntandfish.blogspot.com

Go to a proshop and shoot some 3-6 year old bows and see which one seems to be best for you. I'd look for the Hoyt Vectrix on ksl classifieds for around $500-600 set up if it were me...but you should find out what bow you like to shoot and fits you best first...welcome to the darker side }>

~Z~

If I were you I would not listen to peoples opinions on bows because it could give you a biased opinion. Just like never_catch said I would go to pro shops and shoot as many as you can and find the one you feel most comfortable with. This day and age all bows are great quality some better than others but for the most part they will all shoot as straight and group well. Good luck and good hunting.

Dutch,
If you like the Hoyt's, I have a Vectrix for sale. If you are interested let me know. It took me a long time to switch over to archery, but now I wouldn't go back.

its all personal. All the top stuff out there is good quality and has more than enough performance. Hit up a pro shop, shoot everything they have, and don't let anyone make up your mind for you. Let the bow make the decision. One will simply be more comfortable and shoot better in your hands. That is the one you should buy.

+1 Big Pig
3 yrs ago I spent 4 1/2 hrs at the local pro shop
Shooting every brand that would fit my shorter draw.
Bought the one that felt best in my hand.

Bucks and bulls may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!

The first thing you need to do is get properly fitted. That will make it much easier to shop when you know your draw length. It looks like you are in Colorado, if you are in the Denver Metro area, I would be happy to help you get started.

want to really get a big rush?? while keeping the cost down? get a dryad long bow kit with bamboo cores for about 200 bucks and finish it yourself. theres nothing like taking a nice animal with a longbow.

Dutch:

Nothing I can add, as the advice given is spot on! Just wanted to welcome you from "the dark side". :) You're in for the ride of your life, IMO. Just be forewarned, it's addicting.

BOHNTR )))---------->

ha! Ya I know, and I'm sure once I start I'll never go back. kind of like when I switched from lure/bait fishing to fly fishing, now I can't stand to bait fish or with lures.
Just time and money are my problem at the moment but another year that is going to change.
dutch
http://coloradohuntandfish.blogspot.com

Dutch you're getting into it at a time that some of the best bows that have ever been made are being produced. The proshop is the key to get you set up right and on the right track right from the start. Knowing what your draw length is and being fit properly Like Colorado 3 D stated is fundamental. There are excellent bows at various price points and shooting many models will show you the differences. In reality when you shoot one well, you and the bow will be on your way. Archery is about repetition, consistancy and confidence. Stick with a name brand bow that's been in business a while and you can't go wrong. You may need to visit more than one proshop to make sure you've seen whats available in your market because some shops will push what they have and you may be overlooking some great alternatives. After doing this a few will stand out for you and then shoot those again to make your choice. Brand loyalty in archery runs high but like Big Pig said all the major brands are building great stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom