branding question

10r

I know that we have gone over this before on this page but I forget stuff to easy. I got a couple dogs that are goin to get branded in the near future and I can't remember how long to keep the brand on the hide. I know that with all of the knowledge on this page there is someone that can help me out. Thanks 10r

You hold it on for 13 seconds unless the ear or hip is dark black then you put it on for 15 seconds.

First you must have dogs in the class of Stan's before you brand them.

Unless of course your doing the lead branding procedure.;-)

Here is the UA method of branding...

If it's a black and tan, hold the .22 pistol to it's head for 13 seconds then pull the trigger.

If it's a plott, hold the pistol for 10 seconds before pulling the trigger. This will virtually assure the dog will never get stolen.

If it's a walker or bluetick dog, I'd pull the trigger immediately and save yourself lots of headaches.

The hounding world needs less branding and more shooting and my pack is at the top of the list!!!

Don't brand on my account, I'm too lazy to steal. It's those Arizona boys you need to worry about. If they don't steal your dog, when it comes into their tree they'll dang sure beat the hell out of it with a stick.

-Dawg

Stan's times are for using liquid nitrogen to cool the irons. For dryice and alchol the times are 35 to 45 seconds and the area to be branded needs to be shaved.

Ed, www.carryallhitch.com

i only brand the dogs i don't like. jest for punishment. jest like my ol' man used to do on me and my brother. damn, i'm glad i got loose before he got the bedeezer ready. all my dogs were always marked up with coon, lion and bear scars. if you hafta brand yer hounds jest for some character markin's, ya jest ain't got no good hounds.

thanks boys, I knew I could count on you fellers for some QUALITY advice. There are so dang many black dogs out there that one could vanish pretty easy. Once you have one that can catch its a long way back to start over.
I have three black and tan pups left if anyone wants one.They will be eight weeks on saturday.All females.

I bought a branding iron through El Toga Freezebrands once, they advertise in Bull Cry.

They sent instructions on how to freeze brand, from start to finish. They seem to work really good and it tells you exactly how long to hold a brand on depending on the breed of dog.

This is just with dry ice and alcohol, stuff easily purchased. But it works just fine.

In my opinion, the most important part of the branding is to make sure the hair is all removed good, and most importantly, make sure the dog is secured and can't move.

That is what has always caused my brands to go screwy is a moving dog where I couldn't hold the iron steady. I had one dog that the Chicago Bears couldn't have held still for 30 seconds. It was pretty impressive to watch 5 grown men trying to hold one 9 month old dog still... and couldn't do it.

I'll pass on the pups, got my hands full as it is. Take care.

-Dawg

Yeah, holding the dog down was the most important and difficult part of it for us too. I remember a branding party we had a long time ago, I'm sure the neighboors thought we were a bunch of psychos over there torturing the dogs!

Try Frank Rasmussen in Butte, Montana. He makes quality freeze branding irons according to your design and cheaper than any others. He sends instructions with each custom-made iron. I like his irons better than and they are cheaper. Besides that, he is a good guy. 406-723-6565. Tell him hello from Randy in California if you call.

"The scenery never changes unless you are the lead dog."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom