Breaks Question

H

HerbD

Which unit numbers are considered breaks units?
Which would you consider best for elk and deer?
How are they as to access/public lands?
How does hunting there compare to southwest Montana?
Any help will be appreciated.PM OK.

Herb

1. Anything bordering FT Peck Reservior
2. All about the same
3. All about the same
4. More deer, but not any bigger...don't plan on shooting a bull b/c you will never draw a tag.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Actually, and I could be wrong on this but don't think I am, archery tags are unlimited for bull elk in this area. It is the rifle tags that are difficult to draw. So if you are an archer, go for it (just don't go if it is raining).
Mark

410,417, 620, 621, 622, 630, 631, 632, (652 is a limited draw for "trophy" mule deer, 700,

Thanks for the clarification guys. I was entertaining thoughts of putting in for rifle elk there as it appeared it would be an interesting new area to experience-especially that notoriously infamous mud. Besides, hauling a boat instead of the Jeep for a hunt would also have been different.Moreover,the look on my hunting partners' faces while hooking it up to the truck would have been priceless.
That tough draw explains why my neighbor hunts Ft.Peck during the archery season.
Back to the drawing board(pun intended) to look at other areas.
Maybe we'll just invade mtmuley's neck of the woods and give his 300RUM some competition with mine.LOL Just kidding!

Herb

Herb, It is an awesome area to hunt if you draw the tag. I had it in 2005. It ended badly for me, but I wouldn't trade the hunt for anything. My neck of the woods has proven to be pretty good the last few years. Come on up to the Bitteroot. A lot of folks claim we don't have enough elk here. Those folks don't know much. The FWP meeting in Hamilton on the 17th should be entertaining. I'll be there early to get a seat. mtmuley

mtmuley
Yeah, F&G meetings can definitely be entertaining. Co-incidentally I'm headed for one on the 17th also.
What issues are you following?
Care to elaborate what went wrong on your hunt?
Thanks for the invite. I might just get in touch to check on units with good potential for success.I'd hate to get skunked for a second time in Montana.My nephew would never let me live it down.
We'll put in for Wyo. first even though our chances for drawing are small.But with one point in Montana,we could draw a general tag there.

Herb

Herb,
The breaks are awesome to hunt. I drew a rifle tag in 2006 and had a blast. Didnt see as many elk as I thought I would but did manage to get a decent 6 point for my effort. It is some very beautiful, rugged country and absolute hell when it rains.

ismith

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom