Broadheads

B

bugle22

What is the best broad head for elk? Both fixed and expandable broad heads. I am shooting a Bowtech RPM 360 set at 60 pounds?

There is no "best"........LOTS of quality heads out there to hunt elk with. Wac'em, Muzzy, NAP, VPA, Stingers, Slick/Razor Tricks, Shuttle T's, etc., etc.......ALL are quality heads that fly consistent.

Usually when a question is asked like this, most of your answers are going to be what that particular poster shoots. :) Try a great flying head, that penetrates well, and you'll be fine.

BOHNTR )))---------->

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-14 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-14 AT 11:24?PM (MST)

My Mathews Drenalin at 66 lbs shoots Montecs really nice. Last night I tried a package of the slick tricks and they too flew awesome. Going to compare the two by shooting groups at 50 yards and see which broadhead shoots the best/tightest group.

I shot an elk a few years ago with a Montec and it blew through the rib cage including through the center of a rib and landed 25 yards on the other side of the elk. Pretty impressive.

I switched to VPA 100 gr. 3 blades this year, and I'm eager to try them on elk in a little over a month. I shot them out to 60 yards a few days ago with my Bowtech Experience set at 68 lbs, and I was getting groups that were five inches or less at 60. They did shoot a couple of inches to the left of my field points, but that was an easy adjustment to make on my sight. They are also a very strong broadhead. I buried one of them in the dirt because I moved my pins too far on one of the shots, and it came out completely unscathed. I also like that they are easily resharpened and reused so I don't have to keep track of replacement blades and such. I haven't put them to the ultimate test yet, but from what I've seen thus far, they should do great. I have also used the 100 gr. Muzzy three blades before, and they pass through muleys like their isn't anything there, so I think you would be fine with them on elk as well, but I liked the all-steel construction of the VPAs for elk because of their larger bone structure. I think the bottom line, as has already been mentioned, is get a reputable broadhead that flies well in your setup, place it where it needs to be, and you'll be fine. Hope that helps. Good luck.

I shoot a Bowtech as well, although the bow is only part of the equation of making a good shot as the arrows are the other. Everyone has there own opinion on what broadhead is best for them. For me, I have hunted with the Montec Fixed Blades for a few years now and have taken a few animals with them. All have been complete pass-through's all within in 40 yards and all animals never made it passed 80 yards. This was a picture of my deer I got using the Montec's. As you can see made a huge hole.

7954img_2896.jpg

Yeah most people are just gonna tell you what they shoot cause it's "the best"... for them! Every guy/gal shoots a different setup. Alot of guys will try a broadhead one of their buddies swears by and will say it fly's like garbage, but its really just because their buddy is shooting offset 4" vanes and you're shooting straight fletched blazers (could be any number of differences with the arrow/setup really.

Basically, when it comes to choosing a new broadhead I've always picked three and test them myself with my setup. If needed I'll tweak my arrow setup a little bit to get them flying right. It's quite a bit of trial and error but the end result is definitely worth it!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-14 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]I've tested some heads shot through cow shoulders, some hold up, some don't. The best are 50 to 52 rockwell hardness, .050 thick blades, 2 blades or single bevels, steel ferrules with ferrules larger than the diameter of the arrow shaft, or one piece like a vpa 2 blade, and sharper than hades.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom