Bucks, Bucks, Bucks

B

bosoxfan

A post in the Mule Deer section peaked my interest in finding a copy of Bucks, Bucks, Bucks that the DWR put out in the 50's. I have never seen it as it was released well before my time. Do any of you know where I could see it or get a copy.

Thanks

Let me guess, he is selling them out of the trunk of his "new" honda accord.

bosox,
I had access to a copy of the documentary 4 or 5 years ago. It's a very old film and the copy was not in good shape at all, so I converted it to a DVD. Of course in the conversion to digital it lost some more quality, which was never great to begin with. If you'd like, PM me your mailing address and I mail a copy to you..........I don't charge to help the folks!!!!

Fair warning, it will break your heart, I guarantee it.

DC

I'm gonna have $16,217 to spend on ebay by next week...what should I buy? Hmmmmmmm

Plicks :)

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

2Lumpy sent you a PM also.

"And just what were these guys doing riding horses in an aspen thicket"
WhiskyMan

bosoc
I'm headed through your place this afternoon/evening. If you want I'll drop this off for you.

DC

tikka,
If you live between Richfield, Utah and Las Vegas NV let me know and I'll drop one off for you as well, otherwise, PM me your mailing address.

DC

2lumpy, I was really curious about that film also. Send me a pm if you have a paypal account.

Folks,

The State of Utah used a documentary back around 1959 to encourage out of state hunters to come to Utah to hunt mule deer, for two reasons. The State's wildlands were in deplorable condition due, accord to this document, to over grazing by sheep, cattle and deer. (In those days there were very few elk.) Secondly they wanted to enough people to come here and spend their time and money in Utah. That is very clear throughout the film.

The old timers tell me you could legally kill seven deer if you got every tag possible. (not sure if that is true or not)

Never the less, this documentary was titled "Bucks, Bucks, Bucks".

It is filled with interesting opinions and what the author claims was stated by Utah's State and Federal Biologist (Ecologists) as scientific fact. Of course, we all have our own opinion on what scientific fact is but be that as it may, he gives us his beliefs.

In my opinion, anything said on this video can be used for or against any of the current discussion and arguments about mule deer and sport hunting.

If you've heard me ever say, at one time Utah had identified 62 deer herd units and that is the number of units we could and should be managing to, this video will confirm that number. It won't confirm a single thing about whether it's a good plan to manage by unit, just the authors opinion and apparently it was the opinion of the professionals he was getting his information from at that time.

It also seems to suggest that even with deplorable range/habitat conditions the deer population can be far larger than what I believe it is today, if 459 bucks in Big John Flat on the Beaver Mountain is any indication of what the population was in 1959.

However, this documentary was made because they believed we had "too many deer" and not too few, your going to be hearing all the reasons why we need to kill as many doe, fawn and bucks and we can, not at all what some of us are advocating today.

Does it make me make me nervous to share this documentary? Absolutely not. I'm the kind of guy that wants a bright light focused on all the facts and factors and will let the chips fall where they may. My theory is and always has been, the more we all know, the better decisions we'll all make. And if we all had equal knowledge we agree on a lot more things than we do now.

I've had a number of requests this week for a copy of this "poor quality DVD" of the documentary". I can copy 8 a time and will make as many copies as y'all want, for free, I'll pay for the reproduction but the shipping costs could get to be a problem. If I get too many more requests what I may do is send 20 or 30 to the Cabelas and Sportsmen Warehouse Stores and ask them to hand them out to anyone interested. Please don't offer to send me money or checks, I don't want to be bothered with the mess. If it gets out of hand, I'll let you know.

For now, PM me your address and I'll put one in the mail for you.

Now, I'm off the NFR, see you Monday.
DC

2Lumpy,

Sorry that I missed you. I was taking my kid out on a doe hunt. I will be back in town saturday night. If it fits in your schedule let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Jim Bond was one of the hunters in the movie, he used to go around the country usually showing his movies at the local high schools. He was a really neat guy, great to talk to, was talking to him about elk hunting, he gave me the name of a friend and outfitter in Idaho out of Riggins. Went up the Salmon river with a jet boat with my mom and dad. I killed a great elk monster non-typ mule deer and a really nice cimmamon bear,all unguided, we had a drop camp hunt. Didn't mean to highjack the thread but thinking about old Jim Bond brought back some great memories, he got so excited narrating his movies, it was great. He would then sell bools at his shows, still have his Mule deer book and his From out of the Yukon great old books.

Id sure like to get a copy to if i could..like bigmoosie i have some of the jim bond books. and have been trying to track down his vidios for a long time..Id heard about all the bucks he filmed. It sounds like the whole state mighta had better big buck hunting back then, then the henrys have today.I sure woulda liked to hunt it then.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-11 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]Thanks 2lumpy, just got done watching it. It was very interesting for sure. When they said one contest had 10 bucks over 40 inches I about crapped. Watching them lower that buck over the ledge brought back memories when I was a kid in the late 60's. I watched a couple guys roll a buck down a mountain of similar ledges, and breaking the big rack with little care.

Yelum

As is the case with all history, much can be learned from the past if the historians have been honest in their record. There in lies the challenge. But it is what it is and I found a lot of worthwhile information in the film, which is why I went to the trouble to get it from the old 16mm film that it was originally recorded on.

The visual quality is lacking however the audio may be of more value over all. It's great fun to see those giant bucks but there is more to the effort than just big deer, in my opinion.

Those of you that have received a copy may wish to share it with others that are interested in a small window into Utah's mule deer history.

DC

>I'm gonna have $16,217 to spend
>on ebay by next week...what
>should I buy? Hmmmmmmm
>
>Plicks :)
>
>Steve
>Worlds Best ebayer
>Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

Well Wisz!

There's an E-bay Seller in Tim-Buk-F'n-Too selling Fake 16,200.00 Victoria Secrets Wardrobes Cards for 16,199.00 Hurry Wisz,Hurry!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

If someone that has received a copies wants to put it on Utube I won't have any objections whatever. As far as I know it's public domain but don't take my word for it.

DC

amazing video! I drooled a couple times.
62 hunting units now thats an idea! that will get hunters better distrubted also. anyway thanks lumpy really appreciate the gift !

My pleasure theox. Yep, there's a treasure trove of information in that little snap shot of history.

A lot of things in there that could have value today as far as I'm concerned. If the right folks would gather around a table and dissect all the information, shown and discussed, in that documentary a lot of understanding could come out of it.

Measuring the established past against the known present and the likely future can and should be how we herd the thing up the road......But alas.....not likely to happen.

DC

It was interesting to see a pile of 16 month old bucks that ranged from forkies to 4 points. I also learned that "them fellas from california sure do travel in style"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom