Budges Flattop Lodge

M

moundtown

Does anyone know anything about this outfitter ? Is it private land or public , what kind of elk and deer do they have ? Any info would be appreciated . Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 09:57?PM (MST)

My buddy's grandpa owned it for over 20 years until about 5-6 years ago. It's all public land. That was the beauty of it, having private cabins on forrest service land. I don't think they really had anyone coming in to hunt the deer so much as the elk. They always did well during archery and muzzleloader seasons. I went opening day first season as a guide one year and it was pretty cool the way they hunt it. First thing in the morning they would get to the top of the ridge (by horseback) and sit several hunters on different points all over the face and wait for sunlight and the elk would be working their way back up the ridge from the river heading for timber. It was a great setup. I could get you more info from my brother he guided up there for 4 or 5 years. I know by the last rifle season they usually only got a few days of hunting in because once the snow hits up there it's hard and heavy over night they'd get 18-24 inches. I know at that time of year they would have to pull all the pickups trucks out before the big snow and ride out on horses. They took a lot of elk. I would guess about 60-75 percent success to elk hunters from the lodge. I would say those who didn't fill wasn't because they didn't see elk it usually because they missed a shot or turned now a smaller bull. The elk herd on the flattops is one of the biggest herds in the state. They took mostly rag horns a lot of 5x5's with the occasional 300+ bull coming out of there.

As far as the outfitter who took it over I think it was an outfitter out of the Midwest area that ended up with it. My buddy's brother guided with them for a few years showing the new owner how they hunted it and all the hot spots but once they learned that they got rid of him.

that was some good info yeff2 provided, it was right on the money. Not many people go on guided deer hunts in that area, but there are some nice deer there, yeff2 was correct about the size of the elk there, your guide will most likely suggest you kill the first 4x4 you see but there are some 310 bulls in that area. There are alot of outfitters in the flattops, and a 2nd season tag will be the latest you would want because of snow, and all the game will be long gone.

Thanks for the info , had a guy tell me that he knows the owner of the place . His info was along the same lines but I didn't know if he was bs'n or not . Yeff , if you're brother would be willing to give some more information that would be great . I would love to shoot a 350+ bull but sounds like drawing a tag in one of those {ares,states } is like winning the lottery ! My dad and I just want to go have a good time in the mountains with the opportunity of getting a descent chance at a bull ! Last time we were out there [Grand Junction] I shot a 5x5 raghorn that I was fine with and the old man never even saw a bull . He has a pretty nice 330 bull on the wall , just wants to go have a good hunt while he can still get around . If a big bull would happen to show that would be a bonus . Thanks again for you're help .

We have been hunting in the area where Budges guides for many years now. It is a nice area as long as you have the correct gear or use a guide for a drop camp. Fortunately, we have all the gear so we don't need or want a guide. This last archery season they had a lot of camps in the area and really pushed the elk out of the immediate area. The elk did not go real far but their patterns changed. We had to spend a couple days finding the elk and figuring out their patterns. I think with the pressure from the additional hunters this year, it also delayed the peak of the elk rut. The bulls were very quite until late in the archery season. We still had good luck. It was just a harder hunt than in past years. The best part of the area is we have all the gear to hunt the area without a guide.

In regards to the 350+bull, there are a lot better areas to have a good chance of a nice bull. In the flattops, there are a lot of elk but just not real big ones. There are a few nice ones but they are few and far between.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom