Bull instead of a buck

Muleys24Seven

Packed in on Oct 9th in hopes of finding a good buck but after 5 days on the mountain without seeing a shooter I was getting bored and frustrated. I did however see the same three 6pt bulls everyday. So I lost patience and hiked out on Thurs night to buy an elk tag. A few hours into the opener on Saturday I shot one of the bulls. It was a fun hunt...just not the same as packin' out a big old buck.

91002011_bull_009.jpg

77792011_bull_023a.jpg

It must suck to have to settle for a 6point...haha.....

Quite the pack-string. How many pounds can you get on each side? Do you work them a lot in the off-season or are they pretty easy to get in shape/keep in control?

The two best goats on that trip hauled out 50 and 60 lbs of meat. That's about max wt unless you have a short ways to go and its relatively flat. Definitely the more you exercise them the better they'll do but they are an athletic animal. There was some down timber on the trek down and they would jump from tree to tree with a loaded pack. It was cool to watch.

As for keeping in control they are a breeze. They basically follow you around like a dog and when you not hiking they'll stay close without being tied up.

When I was hiking out I did have a close encounter with a mountain lion. That was an out of control situation and the goats bombed down the hill running for their lives.

You should tell us about the lion encounter... sounds about like what it's like to have a packstring get a good whiff bear scent or run into a rattler...

That is too cool!

So if your goats pack 50-60lbs. Then my pygmys should be good to go on a chucker hunt! I think I need different goats!

24: Congrat's what a story and nice Pics. Never saw anything like that before. I bet it was a fricken mess when those goats took off getting the scent of that lion. Did they spill any of the meat? So from what i see you don't have those goats on any type of lead rope...that is amazing...love the horn hardware...and oh yeh...sorry you had to settle for a 6 point :)Curious? did you hunt that elk in your white T-shirt? :)

Great bull, story and Pics. Thanks for shareing that was an awesume post.

))))------->

Thats a great story and photos Thanks for sharing you bout got a lion instead of bull LOL

...about the mountain lion.

The encounter actually happened on that Thursday afternoon when I was hiking out to buy an elk tag so the load was light on the goats, ~15-20 lbs. Also goats don't do well on lead so you basically hike as if you are alone and they will follow...usually lagging 10-30 yards behind.

Anyways, I was hiking down a spine of this long, open ridge when I looked down and saw a cougar quartering towards the goats. He was about 60 yards away, didn't see me and was 100% focused on the goats. The goats didn't know he was there. I yelled and clapped my hands and in a split second the cat turned around and disappeared down hill. At this point I thought he was gone and continued the trek down. About 2-3 minutes later I see the cat again on this time in front of me on top of the spine in some rocks (sort of in a laying down, sitting down postion). I have no idea how he got ahead of me but this time he was close, about 25 yrds away. I remember it was like the cat was looking right through me as if I didn't exist, totally focused in on the goats. The goats still had no idea they were being hunted. I threw a stick in his direction and he jumped on the other side of the spine and disappeared. I knew he wasn't gone so I took my gun out and slowly started down the ridge making sure I was on the highest point so not to be ambushed from above. I also gathered the goats and tried to keep them from lagging too far behind. But to be honest, I was looking out for me and the goats were on their own. It was a few minutes later I heard some thrashing behind so I turn around and see flashes of goat absolutely hauling butt down the mountain. I'm not exagerating, it was deer like speed and all I could see was flashes of goat, orange panyards and dust through the trees. I thought for sure I would be following a blood trail to find one of the goats ##### up. So I made my way towards where they ran and about 1/2 mile later found them, in the bottom of the canyon, untouched with no injuries. I couldn't believe it. They were gitty as hell but fine.

So I'm not sure what really happened. I think if they would have winded the cat they would have been nervous and stayed super close to me but not bailed off the mtn like that. I think the cat made a move on them to get them running like that. Maybe the panyards or a cow bell I had on one of the goats made him think twice.

I'll never know what happened but it was an intense few moments and an unforgettable memory thats pretty funny looking back.

CRAZY STORY!

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but a few years ago I thought a NR ID deer tag allowed the hunter to shoot a mountain lion during the season.

Why didn't you shoot it?

I think you can put a deer or elk tag on a lion or bear during season but I really don't have any desire to shoot a mountain lion. I've only seen one other mountain lion in the wild and he was really skiddish. I guess things unfolded differently than I thought.

No restrictions than I'm aware of. I believe WY does have some restrictions in certain area's against goats to better protect wild sheep. There's some fear of goats transmitting disease to sheep if they come in contact. Not a 100% sure though

How are those goats around gun fire? If you were to see a shooter buck walking out would you have to tie them up before firing or are they fine with the bang?
Great story and photos

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom