Bummer

BBD

So I had my CC hit for a elk tag this year in Utah, I waited like everyone else thinking I had drawin a Pavhant rifle tag. So I get the email and I had messed up and put the Paunsaugunt as my first choice. I have 12 points and i'm going to turn the tag back in and wait for a unit that has some bigger bulls. It is also a 6 hour drive to do any scouting and i have never been on that unit before. Someone in Utah is going to be a happy camper when the DWR calls them with my tag. It was great two weeks thinking I was going to be hunting big bulls on the Pavhant. Well I will wait 5-7 more years for a elk tag again.

That sucks man...
I think turning it back in is what you need to do if you are set on hunting "big" bulls..
Good luck!

3 Years ago I shot a 348 bull off a any bull area and I would like to better that I know there are 320-340 bulls but I want big for a once in a life time tag. I wish i could make it a deer tag then it would be on.

I was the fortunate recipient of a limited entry tag last year with 9 points because someone did the same thing. Turned out to be my gain as I connected on a 381 bull (official score). Of course the person may have wanted a 400" bull. But if its a unit you didn't plan on hunting or aren't familiar with, probably the right thing to turn it in and let someone else take advantage and have a good time. Sure worked for me and I'm forever grateful to the person that did. I ended up with a trophy of a lifetime for me.

Hopefully you can beat the odds and draw it next year BBD! Lets see a pic of your 348 bull, sounds like a dandy!

My dad had that tag 3 years ago
We spent a total of about 30 days in the unit and ended up taking a 305" bull
With 12 points saved up I promise you turning it back is the best decision you will make this year

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]I hope both me and u both draw a pahvantsugaunt elk/deer tag next year. Makin it happen my friend...Meat hunting since 1987!

That was an exciting couple of weeks. What a bummer it was to hear it wasn't the unit you were expecting. I hope I can shoot a 348 bull on the general hunt!

My Last Year LE Manti Muzzy bull looks great on the wall for now!

DSC_0509.jpg

I want to better this bull, I think I have made up my mind I just wanted to see if anyone on here had had good luck down there. Guess what you don't get your tag money back if you turn in the tag-Suck.

9314650_elk.jpg

Nice Bull. I drew the Pausaugunt rifle, hopefully I can find one close to that at least. I would be very pleased.

That is one SWEET General bull. Probably a good choice turning it back in if you want to better that bull. There was a post on here a few years ago of a guy getting one there a little bigger, but it sounded like a Tough hunt, atleast for a bull of better size.

BBD , there is a thread on the Utah section that talks about turning a tag back in . It sounds like you can get a refund minus a 25 buck fee if you turn a tag in . Then again I could be reading it wrong , but it's worth checking out

BBD I would contact the DWR ASAP. I think the rules have changed. I think you can get a full refund of the tag price minus a $25 fee if you return it quickly.

True, I called today and if you turn your tag in 30 before the start of your hunt they refund you $255 so it cost you $25. I gave up guiding a great hunt this year thinking I had a tag so it has already cost me. I have to wait until I get the tag in the mail before I can return it but I was going to wait but I want the next guy to have time to scout.
Thanks guy for your help.

I did not look up the odds, but just off my memory for residents, with 12 points you are a good 10-15 years out from getting a guaranteed tag (being max points). May be a little better or worse for non-residents, but the Pahvant early rifle tag is a hard one to get due to point creep, lots of guys still with more points and very few tags.

But, I do see why you would want to turn in the Pauns tag since you have already taken a real good bull and want to try for a bull of the lifetime...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom