c zone

Can non-residents buy over the counter black tail tags here? If so when can you buy them? Thinking about going there with a bow because the in-laws have land that the deer seem to frequent any info would be appreciated.

Hey Stalker, C-zone archery is called A-1 and it is good in all four C-zones. You must apply for it in the initial drawing. Last year ther were 2,045 tags issued with only 234 going to first choice apps. 558 then went to random apps,404 to 2nd choice dudes and 154 to 3rd place finishers. If my calcs are right this left a lot of tags after the drawing. But they sold them all by 7/11. I believe this was a first? So apply as a second choice get your tag and a point!Or apply as a first choice if you dont care about future points. Or after the drawing buy a tag before the left overs sell out. The C-zone rifle tags all went first come as well as in the drawing and sold out pretty fast. I should know this but Im not sure,on ALL species like sheep, elk,and not sure about antelope only 1 or 2 permits are issued. I dont know if non-resi's get 10% or if they are even with resi's in the deer draws? But I know a few Nevada dudes draw our desert tags every year. Hope this helps? BH1

Sorry not to know the answer to your question myself but looks like Buckhunter1 did a good job of it...good luck if you come, hope you have a great hunt!

Question to the "Gang" here in general;

I heard a rumor the other day. Something that change was in the works for the C-zone(s). Something about having to put in for it with your first choice or not getting it, changing it to an "X" zone, they weren't sure of the details, but said there was change in the works!

...Any truth to that rumor??

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-09 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]It may not matter to you, but some if not all the c zones are'nt considered true blacktails as far as the record books go. If it does matter you should check it out. It would'nt matter to me unless I was trying to complete a slam.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Good point. Hardway is correct. You mentioned "Black tail" in your thread.

Especially in the southern C-zones, most everything you will see can not be differentiated from a true blacktail deer. They look exactly like blacktails, their racks are similar and they weigh the same...for most intents and purposes you are hunting blacktails. But, there can be a muley mix in there, however many generations back, and on occasion an outsized rack of horns does get taken. So, none of the C-zone deer can be called true blacktails or considered for Boone and Crockett recognition as such.

I have found that the farther north you go, the more likelihood that you will run into the muley strain or the muley-blacktail cross.

Joey

I was thinking around Whitmore or Burney. When can start putting in for tags or would I be better off waiting until after the draw and get the tag. Is this guareteed for archery?

You can start buying the over counter tags as soon as the regs come out, some time in May. Draw tags like A-1, must be applied for the deadline is usualy around June 2. If you know your going then apply for your archery tag 1st choice and you will draw it. Look real close around the Black ranch on public land and place some tree stands on those trails going into the hay fields.Its just north of Burney and has produced a few monster cross bucks in the past. Good luck...BH1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom