Caldera Update

arzdave

The muzzleloader hunt is still on this weekend, however very different procedurally. Apparently there will be no orientation and no assignment of hunt areas. Should be interesting.

Sorry for the delay... New Baby... I got this from Kent earlier in the week..
-------
I approved the hunt to occurr utilizing security staff to operate the hunt. There will be no use of facilities or overnight stays. The Valles Caldera will be closed except for the hunt, grazing permittees, and science statioin permitees.
The Santa Fe Forest is closing all camp grounds and parking areas. The forests roads will remain open. The NMGFD officers and the USFS enforcement divisiuon will be active in the area with possible roadblocks.
Good luck and be safe,
Kent

Kent Salazar
Chairman Valles Caldera Trust Board

Well that's going to make things interesting. The camping situation should be fun.

I'm curious how it goes with letting the hunters go where they want.

Please post updates if anyone finds anything out or wants to share how the weekend went.

>Well that's going to make things
>interesting. The camping situation should
>be fun.
>
>I'm curious how it goes with
>letting the hunters go where
>they want.
>
>Please post updates if anyone finds
>anything out or wants to
>share how the weekend went.
>

With no assigned units, I can think of a few areas that are gonna be pretty thick with hunters. But still FAR fewer than a normal public land hunt.

Since it is open units, I could probably offer some direction ahead of time. I've been on there a few times:) maybe even show you on the map.

Yeah, I'm a little excited about the open units. I have some intel on some bulls in specific units this year that I want to go after. I've also got a guy coming with me that has spent a lot of time there.

I just hope the other hunters are smart about how they handle themselves and the situation.

I also wish hunters would post more pics and stories from hunts on the VC. Its a great place with great bulls and not much is ever posted.

Jamaro, if the VC was part of the NPS as you and the NMWF propose wouldn't it likely be shut down with locked gates like other national parks are now with the shutdown?

Just another reason that it is a bad idea to let it be a part of the NPS. The National Forests are still open for access.

Good luck to all you hunters that have tags.

So, can one of you guys with all the experience and (top) secrets on the VCNP tell me what side of what unit has the cow with the biggest ears?

:)
----------
Give a man a little luck and anything will do for brains (Albert Soady [Ruben's Dad]).

I talked to Kent and Game and Fish about it being shutdown if it was a NPS and the answer is no.. Game and Fish would still run the hunts...

>I talked to Kent and Game
>and Fish about it being
>shutdown if it was a
>NPS and the answer is
>no.. Game and Fish
>would still run the hunts...
>

Assuming land ownership is transferred to the Feds under the NPS model, it would not be open. Fed refuges that are run by the State are not open to hunting. There are numerous examples of this going on right now.

I'm confused by the comments that Game and Fish would be involved. Whatever provisions they have in place aren't working.

They canceled the orientation, canceled scouting on Friday and all the gates are locked except the main gate where 1 VC employee is letting hunters in.

I'd say lady luck is on your side if they are letting hunters in....it would appear that their website is down. With that said, I am surprised, but glad to hear, that the hunts are on. Good luck!!! I have hunted it before, and it is a great unit. If it is truly wide open to hunt (meaning no sub-units), PM me and I will provide some areas for you to look into....good luck.

JBone

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-13 AT 08:26PM (MST)[p]Just got back. To briefly address some of the questions raised. They did allow scouting on Friday. Did not hear any stories of conflicts, problems etc. with multiple hunters in one unit. We stayed in 4,5 & 6 most of the time and never encountered anyone in the field. Did see some incredible animals. Unfortunately I was with a first time hunter and we were chasing girls. The bulls were screaming. Steve conducted the daily check in and check out. He and Tim were the only VC employees there. Game and Fish, Forest Service were there every day. The devastation from the fire and 7.5 inches of rain in September is incredible. The magnitude of the flooding from the rain was enormous. The road into Unit 2 was largely impassable, as was access to unit 3. Talked in great length to Steve and he said that the hunts came within an eyelash of being canceled. I believe that were it not for him...the hunts might not have happened. All and all had a typical Valles Caldera experience. To all that are still to go...have a great time. The Valles is truly one of my favorite places on the planet.

Thanks for the update. I talked to Steve tonight and it will be he and Tim this weekend for my hunt. He also said the same thing about the hunts almost being canceled.

Did you see any good bulls? Its good to hear they are still screaming.

That's good to hear that you didn't run into any hunters. Steve said that 10 of 14 bulls (1 bull hunter didn't show) had been taken. And 4 out of 9 (1 cow hunter didn't show) had been taken.

I'm pumped and can't wait to post the story and pics when I get back.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom